HMDI Help!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, May 3, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok, so this has happened before, and I'm trying to isolate whether or not it's my system, my cable or my TV

Last night I played on my PS3 for hours, watched a movie, and then played some Shadow of Collossus. Nothing unusual. This morning, I wake up, turn on my PS3, and the TV, set it to HDMI, and nothing. No image. I can hear that it's on because I can hear the menu's shifting (Audio from my PS3 is going to my sound system, so it's not affected by the HDMI). No video. So I reset the settings on the system, go back to component, and have it switch again, and nothing.

The last time this happened, I waited a few days, tried HDMI and there it was. Cable connectors aren't dirty, and no one touched the system between last night and this morning. It's not dirty, it's not dusty, and it's not loose, because even if I tough the cable, you don't see flickering on the screen indicating a loose cable

Never have this problem with component. Has this happened to anyone?

2. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    Have tried another HDMI cable? Have you tried connecting another HDMI device to your TV? Have you tried your PS3 on another HDMI TV? That should isolate where the problem lies.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I reset the display settings on my PS3, shut the TV off and then after 5 seconds, turned it on. Seems to have fixed it. My TV isn't exactly the best HDTV on the market, but still, it's kinda annoying. Didn't realize how much of a difference HDMI makes until I had to go back to component.

4. OmegaDead

OmegaDead Well-Known Member

The same thing happened to me.

It has nothing to do w/ your TV. You need to buy a better HDMI cable. At first I thought it was BS, I phoned the PS help line and that's what they told me.

I broke down and went out & bought a high end cable and have had no problems ever since.

I got 5 free blue rays when I got my PS3. Ever since I got a better cable, my movies & TV have looked spectactular!

5. OmegaDead

OmegaDead Well-Known Member

you can't go cheap on the cable (I tried). It sucks, but if you spend under $100, you won't see the best picture.

6. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I had something similar happen like this right before I left for Botcon. Was playing a game when the video all of a sudden went to static and could not get it back after trying a couple of different HDMI cables. Like you I had to dig out the composite cables and reset some settings. Managed to switch it back to the HDMI which seems to be working fine now but still very stange. For some reason HDMI really hates me as not only has it crapped out on my PS3 a couple of times but wont even work on my 360 :( 

7. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

HDMI = junk

Avoid it if at all possible. I run compent and have not seen any reason to switch to anything else. And yes compent can handle 1080p just fine.

I know my rant, but I if you are having trouble with HDMI the problem most likely is the cable since there is redunces or error correction on the cable, errors can be strange and eratic.

Just try a new cable.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I did finally get a more expensive cable, and thus have had less issues, but like I said, HDMI has its problems, but it is worth it. I only noticed the difference when, after spending months on HDMI I had to switch to component. The games reveal the difference the most.

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That is utter BS, and that's just what cable makers WANT you to think. I have two < $10 HDMI cables that both work perfectly and have been for quite some time.

I've never had a single issue with an HDMI cable/connection, it's the simplest and best connection out there.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  10. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^
    What he said.

I've never had a problem with my HDMI cable on my upconverting DVD player.

11. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Maybe nothing to do with cables, might be your video out put setting were reset. Might want to try hoking up a regular AV cable and if that works double check your video output settings.

Omega Dead and skywarp are wrong. There have been proven tests that HDMI cables are the best video source and that a 5 dollar cable produces the same picture as a 300 dollar Monster cable. Please do some research before posting your misguided opinions and corrupting otherwise unbeknown people.

12. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

There are times when I turn on my TV and there's nothing on the screen (using HDMI input) I just cycle through the inputs on the TV and when it comes back to HDMI it's working fine.