Hm. I think I'm done. Goodbye, Lost Light.

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by RNSrobot, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Well that's weird considering that the creators were the ones that came up with the idea for Revolution in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kakashi

Kakashi Well-Known Member

I'm... honestly not OK with it anymore either. There's no bite, no purchase. I tried, I failed. I wanted to keep liking it. But sometimes the only way you come down from a high point is a screaming dead drop. Lost Light, and Transformers as a whole, is a comic I no longer wish to read. Which is sad, because that was the last active part of Transformers I liked. There hasn't been an animated version I liked since... Well, Animated, and Bayformers is Bayformers.

• Like Like x 3
  3. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I finally bought the complete TFA on DVD. God, the first five minutes of that show are absolutely brimming with energy, excitement, and "wow." It was such a fantastic show and did so many wonderful things.

So, basically, my next step with TF is to go back and watch TFA and BW over again, and re-read MTMTE before the reboot. =P

• Like Like x 4
  4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    TFA is such a good show and the edgiest, most thought-provoking stuff doesn't even drop until well after it had won everyone over.

As much as Project Omega, Transwarped and all that great late-game stuff is used as an example of TFA's best, it was just the fun, energetic and fresh take that really made the show work. It managed to convey concept and ideals without pontification, reductive imagery or grand-standing.

• Like Like x 6
  5. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Pretty much all of this. And a healthy dose of Split's post.

Oh, and I can't stand the animated style of Animated, but it's such a good show story-wise that I can still thoroughly enjoy it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nook

Nook Till all are gone

News Credits:
    James should read this thread and not just his twitter and tumblr funs. His later issues are more like fun art and are really really disappointing.

• Like Like x 3
  7. DrTraveler

DrTraveler Wheeljack, Wheeljack, Wheeljack

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This I did not know until I read this, just now. What the what....

I was very lukewarm on Season 2. If it wasn't something I was reading with my son I'd have probably stopped. I did stop RiD and only went back later to read it's Season 2 arc when it went on sale. I remain very lukewarm on Season 3. I remain subscribed to Lost Light (for now) entirely because my son enjoys reading it with me. I do not know if that will keep going.

8. AnomusPrime

AnomusPrime Very sane, not crazy at all

I'm thinking this issue is getting too much attention. Supporting Milne is good, but none of us really know the situations. All we have is speculations, and some more speculations, and it's not good to base opinions of someone purely on speculation. IMHO if you enjoy it then continue to enjoy it, if not then not.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RNSrobot

Mm. Welp. I know things. Sorry. It's pretty much a shitty situation.

10. AnomusPrime

Even tho, I don't think it's good to talk about this more. I have heard things from friends at that time as well, from different povs, some said the this, some favors that. As just a reader I can't distinguish truth from rumors just by hearsay, and I don't want to judge. And frankly, it's not my responsibility.

As I see it, there are three options. One, of course you can lay out all you know, together with the source, which I don't think is a good idea. Two, "I've heard something nasty but I'm not saying what I heard," which is too vague and thus pointless. Three, support Milne as you can, just not talking about it anymore and let idw sort it out. It's ultimately their business after all.

Imo, as a reader, the third option is the best.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RNSrobot

Truth. It is a contributing factor to my dropping the book. Won't be for others.

12. AnomusPrime

Sad. But more power to you.

13. RNSrobot

I'm unclear which definition of sad you are intending. I think it's fairly reasonable for shady backstage politics or events to cause a fan of any artform to become less of one...

I'm sad I'm dropping a book that meant so much to me.

14. AnomusPrime

What other kind of sad is there? Besides, that kind of thing is just what I don't want to be bothered with. All I can see here is an inkling of one-sided story, which I don't want to waste time trying to judge. If I were I'd like to hear from both sides, which isn't happening because idw doesn't answer to me. Right now it's a moot point

• Like Like x 2
  15. MrHolister

MrHolister Well-Known Member

I've been a fan of Milne in other genres besides TF. I was also a fan of Roberts and ONLY came back to comics because a friend told me to read the first issue of MTMTE. The ONLY comics I still own anymore (I used to collect many Marvel titles) is the entirety of MTMTE in the trade paperbacks. Love em.

That being said, RNSrobot's concerns about the internal politics are shared by me as well. Whereas I would LIKE to be able to ignore the situation and simply judge the book on it's merit alone, as a writer and artist myself, I feel like loyalty to a brand over loyalty to someone's craft is a sad situation.

AnomusPrime, you have your opinion on the situation that it's none of our business how IDW handles books we care about in regards to what goes on behind closed doors, but please understand the perspective that to some of us, the art or the writing IS the book. To me, any issues that werent done by Milne don't fit in my opinion. They aren't BAD, but it wasn't MTMTE. It was like if you got the cast of Star Trek to play the roles of Star Wars characters for a sequel and expect no one to care. (That might actually be hilarious)

For IDW to drop someone that integral to the series in my opinion... is to basically recast main characters mid season in a tv show.

Also, James Roberts was a phenomenal writer, but somewhere along the road, I think IDW started clipping his wings. MTMTE s1 had so much edge pushing stuff for a book, and then, the payoffs started becoming lackluster. Sure, Roberts may have thought (that guy) was Tarn all along. The reveal was a big deal and he toyed with audiences for months with it. To be an obscure 1 issue character from a flashback that blah blah blah. He KNEW who everyone thought is was, and I kinda think it was him being forced to end the DjD quickly in the story ark, that he kinda stuck his nose up at the whole thing. It floored me honestly, it felt rushed, it felt ridiculous, to be honest. So I think he pushed the envelope too far with things like Overlord and the DJD, and IDW (probably with prompting of HASBRO) felt the need to change things up, so all the story arks needed to be snipped and tidied up.

Shame, I was just thinking about coming back to the series then I read everything going on. Oh well. I still have MTMTE seasons 1 and 2

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Well-Known Member

Seems like Animated being cut off prematurely still lingers in some people's minds. I can relate. I feel so apathetic towards Transformers these days, it really bites.

• Like Like x 1
  17. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

For me, what really causes the sting of TFA's premature end to linger is that we haven't had much good fiction since. MTMTE, for a time, was able to compete but then went downhill and has become something that I sometimes want to forget, leaving TFA as the last good incarnation of the franchise.

• Like Like x 2
  18. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    It was good, but it needed more original ideas instead of homging past series.

19. johnbonhamatron

johnbonhamatron RIP

News Credits:
    Considering how apathetic most people were after we saw the designs, but before TFA actually debuted on the telly, it's a testament to just how good it was that people talk about it so lovingly to this day (me included).

You've hit the nail on the head: it was that light touch that made it so successful, especially when it was dealing with topics where something like TFP would've gone all ponderous. By which I mean Blackarachnia's origin story, natch. :p 

I'm torn on this, actually. On the one hand, yep, WANT MOAR TFA. On the other, is it better that it burned bright and went out on a high, before it got stale?

And that brings me to the point of the OP. As much as it breaks my heart to say it... I reckon I've nearly reached the same point the OP's at. For me, personally, I think I can pinpoint the exact moment where my brain went, "Nope, now it feels wrong."

It wasn't Swearth.

It wasn't the personality ticks. 'Cos I liked the personality ticks (I know, I know, there's always one :p  )...

It was Nautica's friendship is magic ceremony, and I say that as someone who's been a staunch fan of Nautica since she first turned up. I get the idea behind it, and I know the story needed a wee sweet moment before it got to the really grim murderdeathkillfrenzy, but the way it was done felt hideously out of place, almost cringingly so.

Oh, and the second point where the cracks widened was Prowl in the TR crossover. I have no idea who was speaking Prowl's dialogue, but it bloody wasn't Prowl.

But yeah... I can completely understand where the OP's coming from, since I'm not far off that point myself. I'm still invested enough in the long game to stay subscribed for the moment but... well... we'll see what happens, I suppose.

Shame, but there ye go.

• Like Like x 7
  20. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Eh, I think it did a good enough job of transforming (if you'll forgive my choice of words) the past into something new. We've never had an Optimus journey quite like this, nor a Ratchet with such a deep backstory that's so central to plot of the show. Then there's a technoganic lead, a triple changer with split personality disorder, Megatron spending most of the first season stuck as a head and just so many interesting new takes on things.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.