HLJ Pitches In To Help Japan

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shin Densetsu, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
  2. nemesisred

nemesisred Well-Known Member

also on ebay you can donate a portion of the winning bid to Hands on Tokyo.

3. Snoopy Magnus

Snoopy Magnus THE FLYING MONKEY!

may god bless all in the desperate time of need

4. Sludge

Sludge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is probably an ignorant question. But isn't there radiation all over Japan? Couldn't it be dangerous to receive a package from there right now? Or am I just being paranoid?

5. Drone81

Drone81 Well-Known Member

not over the entire island, the biggest risk is still north of tokyo but it depends on the diretion of the wind.

6. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're being paranoid.

The nuclear situation there is dangerous, but it is only affecting a very small area at this stage.

7. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Perhaps "paranoid" isn't the right word, but as anyone informed will tell you, there's no serious danger from receiving a package from Japan right now.

8. Drone81

Drone81 Well-Known Member

if your package is delivered by Godzilla, you may start to ask questions :D 

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Hmmm, guess now would be a good time to assist Japan by getting some of those Gundam kits I've been looking at.

10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    I think some Transformers might still be on sale too.

11. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    HLJ is raising prices 2%. That price increase goes straight to the donation fund. HLJ is then going to match every dollar raised out of their own pocket.

So say that HLJ sells $10,000 (all with the 2% increase figured in) in toys in those two weeks.

2% of $10,000 is $200. HLJ is then going to match whatever money that is raised via purchases (so 2x$200=$400).

Doesn't seem like a lot, but toy stores don't really make huge profits unless they're getting massive bulk discounts, but they have to buy in bulk (not a case or two at a time). Nine times out of ten, when they sell that figure for $12.99 and the wholesale price they purchase it at is $10.00, that's $2.99 a figure profit. But include having to compete with other sites, etc., and you can really lower that amount to maybe a solid $1.

Is this a massive million dollar fund raising move? No. But kudos for them for doing something. In these times, something is better than nothing.

12. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    I would rather they asked people to just give direct to the red cross instead of trying to take advantage of the situation to increase sales. Not only are they more expensive then the competitors normally but right now they are even more expensive in order to look like they are doing something to help.

I took the money I would have spent on robots this month and gave it to the relief fund. I can do without a few figures... Those people in north japan need the money more than I do.

13. GunBusterX

GunBusterX Toys R Us Kid

Ebay:
    Here you go:

Text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation directly to the Red Cross. I did yesterday and I'm tempted to do so again.

14. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This tends to be the best way to go. I've done it a few times. But as a avid customer of HLJ. I guess I am obligated to continue buying toys from them no matter where the extra 2% goes.

15. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    The option for people to donate is still there. But let's face it - not everyone is going to donate in times of crisis, especially with our economy in the tank here in the United States. So people may have put aside money to purchase that Japanese figure they wanted to badly, and don't really want to part with that, but now they can just add an extra $1 to their purchase of what they already wanted to buy and they're contributing SOMETHING.

And something, again, is better than nothing.

16. Sprocket

Sprocket Problematic.

News Credits:
    I'm honestly surprised at some of you. Did you only hear about HLJ in the last week or something?

The people at Hobby Link Japan are people of solid, moral character and are doing this because they genuinely want to help Japan. They're not getting any extra profit from this, the extra 2% is going to the relief effort. You get to keep buying from them AND support a good cause in the process. If they were using the extra 2% to repair their own devastated offices, I could understand the indignant attitude, but this is a completely selfless gesture on their part. Are we just that cynical?

Now, I've already donated $100 to Super Hero Time and texted $20 to the Red Cross, and I don't see anything they have I'm interested in buying, but this is a fantastic thing they're doing and they deserve our support.

17. Spether

Spether Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think this is a great idea. I also appreciate how HLJ is being upfront about exactly what they are doing, why, and how much it will impact their customers. I wish that more companies would show this level of honesty.

18. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop!

It's doing SOMETHING other than getting paranoid and talking, and this early in the game, the faster the better for rasing money.

19. Smeg

Smeg Well-Known Member

If the extra 2% goes direct to the donation fund, then HLJ's matched donation is 2% of total sales, not 4%. If you include the increased price as part of their "total sales", it still doesn't equal 4%, because you now have a larger total.

Using your numbers, let's say that HLJ sells $10000 of product at $10200. The total donation would then be $400, or about 3.92% of "total sales". $408 would be 4%. Yeah, I'm being pedantic, but I don't know what their actual sales are so the difference could potentially be more misleading than just eight bucks.

20. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We do what we can do, and that's all we can do. If you can donate lots of money directly to the charity, it is fantastic. I think it is also great if you choose to pay extra dollar or two for a toy to help Japan. Everything counts but most of all I know people of Japan appreciate the fact that the world cares.