Customs: hinges?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by shinobi77, Aug 22, 2009.

1. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    okay, not sure exactly where to put this, but, I've run into a bit of a snag with my new creation.

I'm wondering, for all you peerophetionel (professional) kitbashers out there,

what would be the recomended and easiest way to make hinges? You know, the ones that let primes trailer door fold down, or, just primes trailer to fold down.
    I mean, I have my own idea, but would like to see if it jives with what you guys do.

Feel free to move this if its in the wrong area.

2. Conundrum

Conundrum Dabbler of the arts

Ebay:
    Scratch builiding your own hinges can be difficult. It can be sometimes easier just to steal them from other junker TF's and make them fit your needs.

Depending on what you want your hinge to do, Bionicle pieces can also be of use. In the Grotusque custom I'm working on, I used bionicle pieces for the forearms. By sandwiching the piece connected to the hand between to other parts, you're able to fold the hand back or forward 180 degrees.

If you want a mock up of something to see if it's possible with bionicle pieces, let me know and I'll attempt and get back to you on that.

3. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:
    thanks for the idea, might use it elsewhere, but, truthfully, I'm thinking of the actual folding type hinges, like I said, the ones on g1 primes trailer, letting it split and fold down.
    Small ones with push pins kinda style.

4. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Basically, you can build your own with various sizes of rod and tube styrene (get them online or somewhere like Hobbytown USA) OR you can hit a hobby store for miniature hinges (I found some in Michael's or Hobby Lobby--can't recall which--in the miniature home decorating stuff--the stuff people use to make small dollhouses and decorate them with). They're brass and fairly small. In your case, you could use a few if it needs to be used on something large like a trailer. I think they came in a pack of somewhere between 8 and 12 (again, not sure--I opened 'em up and poured 'em into a small tool drawer).

Good luck, hope you find what you're after, man.

5. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I'm fairly certain hardware stores have hinges.

6. Conundrum

Conundrum Dabbler of the arts

Ebay:
    To get something like that, again, just find a junker trailer. You can pick them up relatively cheap on eBay or try finding them at flea markets.

If your going to try making your own hinges, you can cut up a metal clothes hanger for pins. I've used those before to repair an optimus trailer that was missing the pin.

Truthfully, you could pull that off with Bionicle parts if you had the right ones. They have small push pins that pop into the different holes. You could definetly pull it off with those.

7. Zildjian

Zildjian Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This!

8. deathonacracker

deathonacracker Decepticrumb

Ebay:
    broken lot TF's on ebay FTW!

i got a lot of 12 TF's for 6 bucks! all broken but PLENTY of pieces to use!!

9. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    You can give these a shot.I saved the link but have not ordered from them yet.

Tiny Brass Hinge

I usually fabricate them with styrene and brass rod, not too hard to do really.

I think Redline also has a lead for some really small hinges he's used before, try and hit him up with a message.

10. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

If you have a hobby store in your area that carries R/C airplane supplies, they should also carry small hinges for wing flaps. They're small, thin, and almost clear plastic. They glue very easily, and are pretty cheap. I got 8 for $4. I'd post a pic, but I'm on my ps3, and for some reason, it won't let me upload pics. Hope that helps

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I use existing junkers. Why build from scratch which will cost you 8-$10, then hours of labor, then the chance they aren't tight enough or don't work properly? Lots of junkers (like said above) can cost as little as 2-3 per figure, and you're left with more kibble for other projects.