Hindsight is 20/20. What could have made the PS3 more successful.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by funkatron101, Sep 4, 2007.

1. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Here are my ideas on what could have made the PS3 more successful at launch.

Yank Blu-ray: I think it is one of the few things actually keeping the system alive, but they overshot the HD market. $600 blu-ray player is a bargain, but who is ready for one? Aparently not many. Make it optional like 360's HD-DVD drive.

Yank the motion control: It's gimmicky for PS3, and it seemed like a desperate move.

Big ol hard drive: They are cheap, and getting cheaper everyday. Removing the blu-ray player would free up some costs to add a large hard drive for media options. I'm talking 500gb here. They only cost about $100 or so.

Push the DVR aspect: DVR's are the hot thing. For those who already have one, it would be nice to have one with a much bigger hard drive, and combined with a gaming console. For those who don't? What a great excuse to get one. LinuxMCE would make a nice addition. The market for this is now. It should have been pushed from the get go, not an after thought.

$299: At only $50 more than the Wii, a DVR based PS3 would seem like a heck of a bargain, and I think by removing blu-ray, it wouldn't eat their costs too much.

Share your ideas.

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Yank the Cell. It's another factor in the high cost, and makes development a nightmare.

I have to wonder though... without the Blu-Ray, the Cell, or the pricetag... where's the PS3? At that point, we're talking about a totally different system.

3. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You also forgot the fact that they need better PS3 exclusive games.

4. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I don't own one so I have no idea whats good or bad on the PS3 console but regardless of price if it had games that really made me want to play them then I might have wanted to buy it.

So my answer is the game catalogue, and having a better one from the start would have made it more "successful".

5. funkatron101

Ebay:
    If you build it *correctly* ....they will come.

6. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Damn, Onesock beat me to it. I was also gonna say better PS3 games too.

Also, Sony, if you want the PS3 to be successful, get rid of the damn motion control gimmick for the controller. The Wii already has that job filled for good motion control controllers. *Hugs Wiimote*

Speaking of controllers, how about a different DESIGN for the PS3 controller in general? I mean, it's pretty much a PS2 controller, only wireless, has a USB port on it, and has an unnecessary PS button on it. Hell, the original "boomerang" controller design actually looks more decent. Try that instead.

7. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

A better game line-up along with a cheaper price point would have sold me. The only game that interests me is Ratchet and Clank, and that's hardly worth the price of the console. The only time I've bought a console for 1 single game was for Fable on the Xbox, and even then I paid only $100 for a refurbished one.

8. flamepanther

Attractive console --> small library of attractive games --> high console sales --> increase to solid library of 3rd Party games.

That's the normal formula for getting a good library of games. For PS2, skip past the second step. Sony's problems with PS3 started at the hardware design phase.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the bluray aspect. I would definitely not yank that. I could do without the motion controls though. But flying around on Warhawk and using the analog stick to aim is great fun.

I think it all comes down to game library honestly. Because all of the things that are being yanked, Microsoft offeres separately for the 360, even some things that "should" have come with the system (ie. controller chargers, HDMI, and WI_FI in box). So, not including the Elite, the 360 would realistically end up costing you the same as a PS3, and even more, if you adopted the HDDVD. I didn't mind spending the amount I did on the PS3 (though I would have loved spending less), and I love all of the things that came in the box with it, particularly the BluRay.... that being said, more games would definitely have helped, and this fall, I won't be complaining about that anymore.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

The wii does have it down, but true application has yet to be achieved (Metroid excluded). Waving my hand around while Link slashes the exact same way ends up just looking silly. A great tennis game that truly senses your motion and power behind your swings would kick all manner of ass, but until that comes, I have yet to be really impressed with any application of motion from either system.

I wouldn't redesign something that hasn't been broken. Quite the opposite. If people who have been using your system have become used to playing on your controller, why throw them a curveball and change it up. Hell MS finally adopted the 4 shoulder button approach with 360. I never understood the White and Black button of old. Everyone's face layout has spawned from the old SNES controller. I find that funny too, especially on the Xbox, who's buttons are configured almost exactly like the SNES. Besides. I have PS1 controllers that now work on my PS3, so I automatically have like 4 controllers for the system, minus the motion control which we never use.

11. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I agree. Some may hate the fact that the controller form is the same, but I actually like it. It works, for now. When motion sensing becomes the norm, then change it.

12. flamepanther

I would change at least one aspect of the controller: swap the D-pad and the left analog stick.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I could see that. I think that makes the 360 controller feels very good because of that.

14. flamepanther

The GC controller did it before that. It only makes sense, since most games are now played primarily with the left analog stick nowadays. The control method used most often should be in the most comfortable and convenient place, not somewhere you sort of have to reach for it. The classic Dual Shock layout made sense back when a minority of PS1 games required use of it. It should have been moved over as far back as the Dual Shock 2.

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    The thing that would have made the PS3 more of a success initially is BETTER GAMES. The thing that will help the system sell now is BETTER GAMES.

As a corporation, Sony seemed more intent on getting Blu-ray into the consumers' hands and forgot about the games.
    They could have grabbed unused renders from God of War and thrown them together as a teaser for God of War on PS3, but instead God of War II came out on the PS2 and their best franchise became another reason for gamers not to buy a PS3.

16. flamepanther

The problem there is that some of the hardware decisions they made with the PS3 are impeding the speedy release of good games. If it's difficult and expensive to make good games, you're not going to see many of them very quickly. Wiser hardware decisions might have been enough to get more good games out by now.

17. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Keep it exactly as is.

Launched $100 dollars lower.

Better support for third parties, much like they did with the original PlayStation. Their "exclusives" are coming up way too fucking short. Lair, fail. Heavenly Sword, 6 hours for sixty dollars, fail. Killzone 2, nobody cares. Warhawk... multiplayer only. PSN, epic fail. Home should have been ready from the get go.

I guess that means delaying the launch another 12 months. Success? Possibly.

Right now, fail!

18. McBradders

Oh, and they should put a giant foot up Epic's ass for making the Unreal engine such a clusterfuck on PS3 apart from their own game, remarkable coincidence? I honestly don't think so.

All Unreal Engine PS3 games got delayed. How curious.

19. flamepanther

Possibly so. We've heard complaints about the Unreal 3 engine on 360 from Silicon Knights as well, so it's plausible that the issue isn't entirely PS3 specific. Take an engine that's already a mess and try to port it to an architecture that's also a mess, and it seems like a clusterfuck is inevitable.

20. McBradders

I dunno, a lot of 360 games using it shipped on time, unless my memory is hazy in the orgy of zombie killing on the 360 while I was waiting. And Dennis Dyak just seems tantrum prone these days. If it's not Internet fans it's Epic...