HighMoon Missed the Mark in Type of Game for Fall of Cybertron

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by JavaJim, Aug 29, 2012.

1. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Isn't Transformers Universe a MMO? I personally stay away from MMO's. I see too many people ruin their lives over them, and I have a pretty addictive personality. I'm not sure a traditional MMO is what I'd be looking for either as the designs are typically close in in 3rd person mode.

Believe an ideal design for a good RPG game for Transformers would be 3rd person but from a camera angle that's quite a bit further out than what they give is FoC. Something along the lines of Diablo's camera (not necessarily isometric ), but a camera angle you can control, with the ability to pan out to determine tactical approaches to team management in a battle when you have a party together.

Again, not a turn based game, but I'd like the ability to give troops general commands like defend, cover fire, charge, etc. In addition, it would be great to be able to script their actions, much along the lines of what Dragon Age gave us for characters in a party.

2. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would there be AS MANY EXPLOSIONS in proposed TF game?

No?

Bah, RPGs that aren't Pokemon have the power to bore me to tears. The only thing I wish High Moon had done is place more of an emphasis on vehicle mode and abilities, to make it further stand out from the crowd. More exploration would have been nice, but the linear path helps out the storytelling.

3. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    What about FusionFa-
    Nevermind, that's also boring.

4. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

What you're proposing here sounds more like a strategy game (a la Warcraft or Command and Conquer) rather than an actual RPG (which are all inherently turn based). I could go for a game like that with TFs, but not sure how it would work story wise.

Actually Pokemon is on that list too. Non table top RPGs bore the shit out of me. They've all invariably had turn based combat which is a cardinal sin in the video game world. There's really no reason for it. Video games are exactly that: VIDEO. Meaning visual. The prime attraction is that you see what is happening and control it in real time not sit there READING what's happening. The other thing I've consistently hated about video game RPGs is not being able to see enemies before you "encounter" them. This BS of walking around and suddenly your taken to text based fight screen where you punch in some commands, leave for an hour, come back and find the computer still fighting itself is worthless. Now, I could go for a table top TF RPG, and in fact, I actually ran one with a gaming group a couple of years ago and it worked pretty well.

Now, I would be down for a Warcraft/Starcraft/C&C style strategy game where you build armies, command units, etc. Because those still get controlled in real time. Also maybe something World of Warcraft style which I think is what the upcoming (if it ever actually gets released) Transformers Universe game is going to be.

But as an actual video game RPG? No. Just... no.

5. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    Once I complete pokemon's story it gets boring fast....