HighMoon Missed the Mark in Type of Game for Fall of Cybertron

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by JavaJim, Aug 29, 2012.

1. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    As the title states, High Moon truly missed a great opportunity with the games they've created with the Transformers brand. That's not to say they've provided poor games, the games have been good. The problem is the type of game they've created, namely a FPS game, doesn't tailor to the type of audience that would be more receptive to the Transformer brand.

Most of my friends on my XBox 360 account who play FPS (most shooters are FPS after all, not TPS) games tend to stick to the military style games. That's not to say they won't try a triple AAA game out like Bioshock or a 3rd person shooter like Red Dead Redemption, but when you tell them there's a fun shooter and it's Transformers they just aren't interested. RPG gamers love story and are far more open to new genres over the FPS gamers, at least based on my friends with whom I game.

As for me, I'm not a TPS/FPS fan, and while Michael Bay, and yes, High Moon, spent a lot of time and energy focusing on the action of fight/blowing up robots, it's the story and personalities of the characters that made Transformers great. Everyone felt an ache and sense of loss when Prime died after fighting Megatron in the '86 movie. These were characters we cared about, who became important to us through the telling of the story, something a FPS/TPS game just doesn't accomplish.

While I'm not a FPS/TPS fan, I do enjoy RPGs, and there's some GREAT story telling in Fall of Cybertron, but oh how it could have been so much more as an RPG game especially with the cache of story that's available from the books and comics. Think of playing through as Prime as the political situation turned to war and as prime went through the progression of Orion Pax, to Optimus, and then to Optimus Prime. What a great RPG / story that would be!

I know TPS/shooters is your bread and butter High Moon, but if you make another game, use the art, work you have for the 1st two games, and take it further. Give us a true, story driven, Transformers RPG - The Making of a Prime.

Ideas for the game (if we don't play as prime):

o Ability to create our protoform
    --- o customize our face features
    --- o define arms, legs, feet, height, etc
    o Ability to choose/change our alt/vehicle form
    --- o full customization
    o Ability to have a team via TargetMasters or Combiners
    o Upgrades
    --- o radar detection (night/day differentials)
    --- o weapon upgrades (too many to list)
    --- o movement upgrades (both forms, jumping, etc)
    --- o intelligence gathering (through hacking, or pets like Lazerbeak)
    --- o leadership (ability to obtain followers to fight with you in battles)

I could go on... but what I wouldn't give to play an RPG game where I could play as Optimus, Megatron, or my very own Transformer as the uprising took place. That's the next Transformer game that needs to be made.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    I agree with most but I want to be able to keep 4 diffrent class's in mulitplayer (well unless you idea for customization is campagin only)

EDIT: I disagree with the RPG aprroach I want to keep the thrid person shotter let TF universe deal with the RPG approach

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm going to have to disagree with your high concept. I'd say that a 3rd person shooter is basically the best choice for a Transformers game. So much so that the only other style of game I could think to emulate with the Transfromers IP would be Mass Effect and that wouldn't fly as well because it would require basically a custom character while most want to play as Optimus. Personally I would wet myself with a Energon Effect game telling a story through the eyes of my custom built Cybertronian, but I fear the general gaming market wouldn't.

A Square style RPG wouldn't really fit well. I just don't think it would be as amazing a 3rd person shooter would be. Plus strait RPGs are a dying breed. Almost any RPG is now an X-RPG and I'm not complaining one bit. Skyrim, Fallout, Mass Effect. They aren't stereotypical rpgs. Heck, even Dragon Age isn't a standard rpg and it's the biggest strait RPG there is currently. Final Fantasy 13 is awful so I wouldn't want to emulate that.

4. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think jim's post is biased, because of his own taste in games

5. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Whose post isn't biased towards their own tastes?

Were it up to me, I'd make a Skyrim style Transformers game set on Cybertron before the civil war.

Jim isn't saying Fall is bad. He just has an idea for a game that would appeal to him specifically more.

6. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    It would definitely need to be an action oriented RPG, that's for sure. Turn based RPGs are dying, if not dead already. I haven't played Mass Effect (just not enough hours in the day for all games), so I can't speak towards it.

Like I said, I'm not big on FPS games. I'd be just as happy with an accuracy rating, and pointing to the general area of the enemy and the game determining how often I hit and how much damage, versus having to carefully aim in order to hit. Probably didn't explain that well, but hopefully the idea comes through.

Another problem with War and Fall is they were soo short, especially Fall of Cybertron. I could be wrong, but it felt as if it were literally half the size as War, but that could have been due to the quality and as the saying goes, time passes quickly when you're having fun. I literally couldn't believe it when it was over.

7. shadowsfm

News Credits:
    skyrim inspired transformers isnt a bad idea if it weren't for the fact that open world games turn me off, because of bad cut scenes and boring and repetitive environments. but if done right i'm all for it. imagine just playing around in between missions doing nothing but driving, exploring, and messing around

8. shadowsfm

News Credits:
    sounds like fallout

9. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, I definitely enjoyed Fall of Cybertron, even though I don't really enjoy FPS games. I'm just finding as I reach out to guys on my friends list who typically play FPS games, that I can't even get them to try out the demo of Transformers, which leads me to believe that High Moon has left a lot of money on the proverbial table due to the genre of game they created and that another genre, that harkens back to what made Transformers great in the first place, the story and the characters, might be more lucrative for them due to RPG fans accepting different ideas/concepts, and more rewarding for the Transformers fans themselves.

10. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Consider that it is because it is Transformers that people aren't necessarily interested. I doubt that if FPS people aren't biting, that making a Transformers RPG would make people bite either.

11. Rexidus

News Credits:
    Personally I found the story longer from my subjective viewpoint. I also played a mission a day at most in the beginning. And I adored the single player.

But yeah, most people won't give a Transformers game a shot simply because of the IP. It simply doesn't have the draw others do. You won't pull people from specific games. But what you will do is get people like me who shift around a lot. The only game I play for years because I love it is Halo but I'll still try out new games if it piques my interest.

12. Prime's Pappa

Prime's Pappa Animated Forever

I agree that an rpg for TF would be outstanding especially if they can model it like fallout or elder scrolls...Imagine picking a tf class and doing side missions all on cybertron and deciding which side to fight....sounds amazing to me

13. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I think a TPS is a fantastic format for Transformers to take place. Add in some more dynamic camera angles, make the HUD less prominent, and you've got yourself a cinematic experience.

14. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    That's a good idea, but it would not fit into this series. High Moon would kind of have to "reboot" their story. In the future I could see this happening, but I'm not sure if HMS would be the people to make it happen. In the meantime, Transformers Universe should be out this year which is sorta close to what you're taking about.

15. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer RPG/story based gaming rather than FPS/Multiplayer, so i'd really dig a long TF game. Not quite Final Fantasy long, but a bit more linear than WfC/FoC were (though I greatly enjoyed both).

Depending on success of the franchise, i'd love to see a Wreckers spin off where you have a team of 3-5 characters and take on some of the Wreckers toughest missions while on a quest to find/defeat someone like Overlord, Scorponok, Galvatron etc.

16. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    WFOC is not FPS, it's TPS.

And I think whatever-PS accomplishes Transformers quite well, especially the way it was executed in FOC. Not all about the shooting. I would like a game where you only battle at will, like a free-roam, with a story. Like the gameplay style of FOC, with the gameplay choices of TF1, i.e. free-roam, and then you go to certain checkpoints to start missions, or talk to certain characters. I love the customization you're thinking of, though.

17. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    You're correct, this is a Third Person Shooter, not a First Person Shooter. Sorry for the typo, though in reality, most of them play the same these days, or at least they feel as though they do to me.

In addition to an RPG, per the customization someone suggested, I'd love to see Customization play a HUGE role in the next game, not just a partial one as it did in the MP of FoC.

I'd like to be able to customize both the proto and alt form of the characters, and for them to allow me to paint the various parts as I choose, even with the patterns I'd like to use. Give us some way to store these online, in an online catalog so we can share (if we choose to that is) with other gamers, much like Saints Row 3 did with their character database.

18. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Why is it that whenever anyone has a problem with a genre of a game they say it should be an RPG? It's Transformers, it's about war, of course it's going to be a shooter. The alternative is an nice open-world game in the vein of ROTF.

19. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

Well....for one thing, this is not a FPS (First Person Shooter) game, that would be if you saw the veiw through the Transformer's own eyes, and didn't see the bot himself. This is a TPS (Third Person Shooter) game. And it has to be that, so you can see the designs, the transformations, and the vehicles. A FPS WOULD suck.

However, I digress...A TF RPG would be interesting but you had better have some of the shooting elements and be able to move around in real time as the TF, or that would suck too....I think this is the perfect game type for this..It just needs MORE.....More of everything...more customization, longer story, more playable characters, etc....

20. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    The FPS/TPS has already been covered. Going to go ahead and correct it as folks aren't reading the thread before sounding off.