highlander #0

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by KA, Aug 1, 2006.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    anybody else pick this up?

i was so hyped when i saw the advert in CSN. highlander, the original movie combined fantasy/scifi into a concept that could only be described as kickass. mysterious protagonist: check. a backstory that spans time and space: check. cool swordplay, maiming/decapitation: check. buck futter: check.

so it was with great anticipation that i picked up my copy, looking forward to further adventures of conno macleod, of the clan maccleod that did not suck *cough sequels cough tv series cough*

on the the comic!

synopsis: connor is called to paris, where a follower of kurgan has been captured by this russian chick, who is also an immortal. apparently the baddie (who is a pawn apparently) was on a killing streak and tattoos on his chest reveal him to be a kurgans follower. it seems there is this cult, that notoriety is only suggested here. anyways the bad guy dies before he can reveal more, he himself is not an immortal, but what he revealed suggest great upheaval in the old USSR. so connor decides to go hunting in mother russia, to be continued.

story: okay-ish. the dialogue had a nice flow, in particular the interaction between connor and russian chick. however i was expecting a sort of origin story since were just plonked into an establish continuity i.e. you have to have a knowledge of the movie to get into what is going on. still, nice pacing and action, so i'm feeling positive abt the title. trademark flashback scene is glaringly missing.

art: serviceable, 2nd rate at best. nice covers tho. likeness, okayish. enough to recognize chris lambert but could be mistaken as duchovny at times. yeesh. nice flow tho, for most part.

verdict: B. i was hoping more of a splash, but considering its an indy title, i'm okay with it. just hyped to read more adventures of the highlander.

2. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I picked it up..an ok start for the series. I just hope they dont try to make it mesh with the continuity of the sequels, which didn't even work with each other.

3. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    For those still interested in this title but have yet to check it out last weeks issue, CBR posted a director's commentary for it with all 12 pages of the story (the rest of the issue was a 4 page Lone Ranger preview and 8 pages of ads) yesterday.

"HIGHLANDER" #0 DIRECTOR'S COMMENTARY WITH BRANDON JERWA

4. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Final Dimension wasnt that bad. Neither was the TV series. the second movie blew dead bear though.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The tv series was great. There was no Highlander 2, though. It went Highlander, Final Dimension, and then Endgame. Anyone who tells you there was a movie between the original and Final Dimension is a liar and possibly a communist.

6. shifty02

shifty02 Greetings Programs

Endgame sucked MAJOR balls. It's the ONLY movie that I've almost walked out on. If it wasn't for the fact that I paid something like 7 or 8 bucks at the time to see it (when it was in theaters).

EDIT- Pretty good read for the Highlander comic though

-Shifty

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Endgame remains one of the worst edited films I have ever seen. They even re-use footage AND dialogue in the big end fight, which is reprehensible. There's a rough AVID cut on one of the DVD releases which is MUCH better. The entire crappy experience was a huge wasted opportunity. Not to mention a total waste of Bruce Payne.

8. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

Please tell me the tagline for next issue is going to be "There can be only #1!"

Phazer

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    please tell me the phazer just cracked a joke -.-'

10. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

I got it today, I'll probably read it in TPB's, if they make them.

11. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I liked the preview and plan to get the series. For those who don't know yet, Duncan will be showing up in issue #5 for the second story arc and team up with Connor.