High School of the Dead (Brand-spanking new anime)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Opticron Primal, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Ok, so I watched the first episode of a new anime called High School of the Dead, which debuted on Monday both in Japan and the US on Animenetwork.com. It follows a high school student, his first love and childhood friend, a small group of students and the school nurse as they try to survive the beginning of a worldwide zombie apocalypse.

The art style, which makes you think "typical anime school drama", combined with the violence and gore makes everything feel tense and nerve-wracking. There's also a lot of fan-service in the episode, with random shots of bouncing boobs and underskirts, usually during the more actiony scenes. When it comes down to it basically take the art direction of an anime like Clannad or Kanon, make it more mature-looking and mix in some Zombieland and Dead Rising.

Since I'm typing this on my PS3 I can't exactly post the trailer, but I suggest looking it up. This show looks like it's gonna be something to watch out for.

2. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    I took a look at this, only because of the promise of schoolgirls getting mercilessly nommed by zombies. And it certainly did not disappoint in that. (Animation quality is superb as well. But then again, all first episodes of anime are that way.)

I found the fanservice to be a bit too distracting, however. Hard to take a life threatening situation seriously when the camera keeps focusing on Rei's underwear. >_o;;

And not a lick of humour to be found here (in the first episode at least). Not sure if I'll keep watching this. I might watch it for the dude with the improvised ranged weaponry.

Trailer here, in case anyone interested:
    YouTube - ??????HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD? TV???PV

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  3. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Bleh.

4. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    I have a feeling that more episodes will come through with atleast a bit of humor, especially when it comes to the nurse, who's described as ditzy, and the gun otaku kid. Though I won't blame it too much if it keeps it's serious tone.

But yeah, first episode is pretty damn grim. It leaves you asking what the hell you just watched, especially when the entire school erupts in panic and you get random scenes of students and teachers trying to survive only to meet their end in one way or another.

5. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I read the manga quite some time ago. There is an assload of fan-service (pun intended) which I agree will be pretty distracting especially in anime form. It has a pretty interesting story, very action-based of coursed. I'll have to watch the anime sometime.

6. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    May have to check this out.

7. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

There WAS the entire 'We'll be friends forever' scene, which I found hilarious, but yeah. Fairly grim. Maybe I'm been desentisized but there didnt really seem to be that much gore in it. Everytime you'd expect to see ripping flesh, there's either a zombie in the way or it happens off camera.

Could do with fewer panty shots. Especially panty shots on a anime girl who's in the middle of being zombie chow.

8. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    Ah yes......that scene's been replaying in my head over and over again. Grim, sad and definately a good example of how even friends would act if a situation like this ever became real.

9. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Just watched the first episode. Great stuff, I'll definitely continue watching.

There was a hell of a lot of panty shots though.

10. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Might give this show a try.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah the manga is stuffed full of fanservice. The artist's other specialty is hentai after all and it shows.

There is some humour but not as much as other shows. Still, looking forward to watching it. It's zombie related fun!

12. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

Just watched the first episode and it was great. Definitely alot of fanservice and the twists were just gold. This is something I will keep my eye on.

13. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I've also read part of the manga, so I was expecting the fanservice. Its an interesting series and I'll definitely be following it.

14. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    The manga has been published in the US correct? I plan to give my local B&N a check if it is.

At first I wasn't sure if I'd follow the anime after the first episode (which I might rewatch) seeing as I don't do well with horror, but after making this thread and seeing the positive feedback from others on the manga and the first episode, I may just go all in.

15. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    love zombies so the first episode for me was awesome, some of the stuff like all the panty shots and all that was a little over the top but that aside ill keep watching

16. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

Zombies! FTW! Might have to have a first anime. *gulp

17. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    those random sound whenever "parts" of the nurse moves is kind of annoying...

and 2 episodes in that "Im a Genius" chick is already really annoying. lets see some zombies eating her

18. Blaster

Blaster Australian Ghetto Blaster

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Are any of the streaming sites (Anime Nework, Crunchyroll,etc) showing this uncensored?

19. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Pretty damn grim for an anime. And yeah, lots of fanservice in the first episode.

This definitely looks like something I'll watch.

20. Opticron Primal

News Credits:
    Second episode was great. This time focusing on the next 4 main characters: Saeko (Kendo Girl), Saya (Genius Girl), Kohta (Gun Otaku) and Shizuka (The Nurse).

I like how it picked up pretty much right where episode one left off, with Takashi and Rei still up on the roof. The whole scene with Saeko offering to mercy-kill a student after being bitten while protecting the school nurse was pretty deep. As for Saya's whole "I'm A Genius, Stoopid!" persona, I think it's mostly a front so she doesn't look weak. It was pretty evidant when she broke down after killing one of "them". I can tell Kohta's gonna be my favorite character. He's totally went all Macgyver making that needle rifle.

The only thing that sucks about finding this anime so fast is waiting. I want to see more but I have to wait a week.....