High quality KO: How is your perspective?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by exomega255, Nov 8, 2010.

?

"Perfect KO"- What's your view?

1. Love it, will definitely buy it, screw the original price!

38 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. Its nice, but I prefer my collection to be authentic even if I'm the only one that knows it

22 vote(s)
    29.3%
  3. They exists. I don't like them, but not enough to go out of my way to care to rant much about it

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. they should burn in hell!

6 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I personally have had a lot of experience with KO, having grown up near the country that does most of the KO works and having grown up in an area that always have all sorts of KO available.

With that said, and the recent conversations here, as well as the news of KO classics figures that are VERY high ended, I have a question for you all:

Suppose, and this is VERY possible as I have personally experienced in another product, that within this year, many "perfect KO" will be made to the high demand lines: Botcon/Classics, etc.

[Perfect KO is defined as KO that is the same in size, paint apps, plastic quality, functionality (ex, launchers, etc), packaging are all exactly like the real one. Unless you spend hours looking at the Perfect KO and the real deal, you will not be able to tell the difference.]

-In case someone decides to answer that KOs will never be "perfect" as defined above, please note that factories at China can manufacture something of the exact same quality for a really cheap price, and I have seen it on electronic and toy products (in fact I have a few)

======Question======

Are you ok with those KO's? Would you support, buy, accuse, curse?

For me, I love "perfect" KOs. I hate cheap ones that crumbles, but perfect KOs are the best. I want toys that I can play with, and collect. But if everything is the same as the original and the only thing that's different is "its not from their factory", I don't have enough moral fiber in me to say no.

If a perfect Thundercracker Henkei KO cost 24$, and the real one cost over 200$, its a no brainer in my mind.

I know not everyone sees eye to eye on this, nor is there a "right view". But I just want to open up the forum and see what people's opinions are.

edit:: btw, its my first time setting a poll, so if the options suck, I am sorry =/

edit2:: Ok, I am not talking about iGear, fansproject, and other 3rd party companies. I am talking about direct replication of the products, like, the Henkei KO thundercracker. its under no brand cept KO.

2. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

I would rather avoid them if possible. Because you don't know whether the materials or paints KO companies use are toxic or have any other health consequence.

But I have bought things unavailable from HasTak like crazydevy.com parts and fansproject stuff that aren't mainstream.

3. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Ah, I should clarify, right now I am not diving into 3rd party products that are KO's. I know iGear for example is accused of it a lot. But lets just consider KOs as the unnamed factories that produce perfect replications of say, botcon, etc figures.

4. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I don't mind them. I think some of iGear's stuff is pretty cool.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    For me, I'm really only interested in KOs based on two kinds of things.

1: Older stuff that is extremely hard to find, or cost far more than I'm willing to pay.
    2: Oddities, like interesting remolds, or drastically altered sizes.

6. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its like anything else that's counterfeit. If you want it just to have it on your shelf, then a KO is fine. You can probably fool most people (like with a fake Rolex). If you buy it for the investment, however, its pointless. There will always be ways to tell counterfeits from the real things.....no KO is ever going to have any real collector's value.

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

So far, I'm happy with my KO Mirage, Wheeljack, Sunstreaker, and Shockwave.
    I'll buy KO's of figures that have not been re-issued.
    I'll buy KO's when I know it's a KO
    I'll buy KO's if it's had good rep
    I'll buy KO's to fill in a gap in my collection
    I'll buy KO's when I can't afford the price of the original in that MIB quality that I'm after
    There are several figures I hope/wish will be KOed. Knocked-off not killed-over.
    So far, so good.

8. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    They call them "Bolex" here xD

Either way, there is always one or two imperfections, yes. But there are KO's that are so good that functionally and quality wise its exactly the same. Its, ofcourse, not to show off and pass it off as the real thing. But at least if you want a cheap version without paying hundreds, you can. Like that kind of KO =)

9. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    That's kind of my point. If I'm getting a KO, it needs to be interesting in some way.

10. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

I'm OK buying a KO as long as the seller states clearly that it's KO. I'm not OK with people selling KOs as originals

11. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Ditto on all of the above.

I want this perfect KO maker to go one step further... I want him to make Henkei Sunstorms and purple Air Warriors. Especially since GenZhao of KOLD dropped the ball.

12. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

The only KO I'm getting (and it;s my first) is Henkei Thundercracker. Normally I would never touch a KO, but the QC on the original is so bad and the KO looks so authentic, for the price, I don't see how I can go wrong with it.

As for KOs of G1 figures... the water has become so muddied these days that it's soured the whole experience of collecting the vintage toys. They are so common and there are so many liars trying to pass the fakes off as genuine that I feel I'm better of out of that whole side of things.

13. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would buy HQ KOs. The main gripers against them are people who jack prices up on transformers so just to spite them I'd buy them by the tons if I could.

Cheap KOs are a nice novelty but shouldn't be anywhere near a third of the price of any original. They can barely be touched without breaking. Their made from constant reground plastic. That stuffs only good for one grinding mixed with virgin material. Past that the integrity fails.

If your buying transformers for an investment you could do a lot better.

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have no problem with KOs, but I don't own any and would prefer not to; I'd rather my collection all be 'genuine' figures. About the only issue I have with high quality KOs is that their prevalence has made me extremely reluctant to buy vintage items from eBay or anyone else besides reputable dealers (I pretty much only buy G1 from BBTS now).

The only situation where I could see myself buying a 'perfect' KO would be if the original vintage item is something that has a very high probability of breaking easily. For example, if someone ever made a high-quality KO of Monstructor that wasn't prone to GPS, I'd probably buy it, since I can't see spending the extra money for an original when there's a good chance it'll break.

15. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I'd only reccomend the high quality KO versions of G-1 1986 cyclonus & 1986 Scourge.

I bought then sold the 5 KO 1985 dinobots because they were complete garbage. the inner bubbles attached to the card boards were 40% sealed. the diecast metal parts on the toys needed more paint apps. the painted diecast metal parts looked like a 3 year old colored them in with a crayon or marker. the paper work & sticker sheet needed trimming.
    the boxes were a bit dented. definately not the MISB versions I was hoping for.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    the only time I have a problem with the High quality KOs is when they are being sold as legit G1s and etc

17. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    This is my issue with kos that pass for the original. I dont mind kos, in fact i like the quirky ones. Unfortunately there are dishonest sellers that will try to take advantage of people.

You sound bitter.

There are a lot of "gripers" who realize that people will try to pass these HQ Ko's off as authentic.

18. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Just out of question. I'm kind of knew to all these knock-offs and only familiar with the "high-quality" ones. Have there been really awful knock-offs of G1 figures? Can anybody post pics of them?

19. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Original or nothing for me.

20. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would only buy them if takara or hasbro does not give us reissues of the g1 items. as for 1980 g1 AFA items, I wont buy those misb now. Just not worth spending so much on them. So im cool with buying high quality reissue ko, as long as its not the cheap big lots junk. But if takara /hasbro reissues them like the encores, then I will get rid of the ko. As for the ko mixing up with the originals, its impossible to find out what is what. even bbts is going to mix them up, when ko sets mix up more and more with the real g1 loose items. when collectors start selling not everyone is going to be truthful. look at all the little weapons, hand replacement parts, missles, etc. Its going to be impossible to know everything for sure, even if comes from big online stores, because they dont even know. they just assume all the parts will be real.