High-End Toys Only?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GogDog, Jun 11, 2007.

1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    The more I get the higher-end, $100 plus figures, the more I can see myself, maybe as early as after the movie, stopping to get the "kids" lines, and just going after the bigger stuff, like Masterpiece, Yamato Valks, and other stuff. I love the huge, realistic stuff like my Yamato Valk, MP Starscream, my soon to be here YF-19, MP Megs, etc. But saving the money can sometimes be hard for near $200 figures. But as I get older, it just seems more appealing to, instead on buying several deluxes and voyagers, to just grab a single expensive figure, maybe once a month or less.

Anyone feel the same way, or even maybe already doing that?

2. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

While the MPs are beautiful to look at , the price point takes away the from the simple pleasure I get from buying, collecting, and ripping open Classics, Alts and Movie figs. The MPs serve their purpose in the market, a little of G1 goodness for adult collectors, and you gotta love them for that but they're not really made for having fun.

3. dlatkow

dlatkow Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm with you 100%. The main line toys are fun to pick up occasionally but they really don't do much for me anymore. I work rather buy a high-end SOC, Yamato, Binaltech, masterpiece, and so on.

4. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I agree with you. Once I get the Encore reissues I'm done with the smaller stuff. After that I'll stick to the MP line (if it continues) and the occasional G1 item.

5. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Pricier doesn't always mean better.

6. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    I hear you man. If I was listening to myself, I would only collect the nicer G1 pieces, the movie toys, MP series and all the fancy die-cast robots from Bandai and Wave. That's a bit why I'm downsizing my collection : to afford the better high-end figures like Ideon (on the way), Gunbuster and the SV-51.

7. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I have slowed down on collecting a lot, I think the next figure I will get will be Alt. Rodimus, then Hasbro's version MP Starscream - While I like the movie toys I really think I might be done collecting the smaller stuff.

Although, I might buy the deluxe new Camaro BB, only for the fact that it looks so damn cool in both modes.

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree with you. I have alot of pricey stuff like Bandai's SOCs, Yamato's Macross and at times it cheeses me off that they're pretty fragile. Not as fragile as glass but...you know what I mean.

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum. While I do get expensive items geared to collectors instead of kids, I rarely enjoy them as anything more than a display items. Large, complex, expensive items are just not enjoyable to handle for me, while lots of kid-oriented TF toys that go for $20 and below definitely are, while still managing to be intricate and detailed.

10. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    I'm kind of starting to think along the same lines, myself.

11. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    we all go thru phases.

12. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Ahh, so you caved and bought the 19 afterall. Just remember, treat it like your sister, not your girlfriend.

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I only collect G1 so in a way Im already there. I rather spend like 300 on a nice MIB soundwave then alot of lets say Cybertron delux figs.

14. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Futureruleroftheuniverse Well-Known Member

I just buy whatever toys appeal to me.
    I keep them in the box after displaying them for a while so it doesn't matter.
    I have MPs, G1 (one only), eHobby, Beast Wars, Galaxy Force, Cybertron, Valkyries, RiD, Armada, etc etc.
    and that's just my TF collection :p 

15. Cloudraker

Cloudraker on auto-pilot

Passing on a majority of movie figures which gives me the assets to go back and get some of the Binaltechs, Alts and such I've missed.

16. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm a cheap bastard. I'd rather buy five $20 toys than one $100 piece of art. I have a couple of $100+ toys but that's perhaps because I couldn't find cheaper alternative.
    As a rule I don't buy anything I can't let my kids touch.

17. unclemarsellus

unclemarsellus Imaginaut

I'm with you and I've been there for some time now. I've pretty only been collecting higher end stuff close to a couple of years now. I collect Star Wars as well and that was the impetus of it all. I got tired of how cheap the plastic and production of the figures and accessories became. Things were rubbery, warped easily... it basically wasn't like what I grew up with in the 80's. This also translated into Transformers where even the Classics line--a line I had dreamed about for years--suffered from the same uneven production and poorer quality plastic. The only figure I've kept was Rodimus (Hot Rod was always my favorite) but it took 2 or 3 buys to find one that was produced okay.

I've also been more and more neurotic about accuracy in regards to lines that represent something in movies or the like, and that just isn't usually there in more kid-focused lines. I also got into replica props (mostly for Star Wars) and I found that more satisfying than the latest vintage classic figure with rubber accessories and joints.

So now I import a lot of stuff and I pretty much stick to the 1/6 scale. Sideshow, Hot Toys, Medicom tend to get a lot of my money on the toy front. The movie Transformers line is the first main-line kid centered stuff I've bought in some time. I like them a lot and forgive the inaccuracy considering how complicated it would be to make them accurate. I'll admit I dream of a Masterpiece movie line though. With Transformers, I'd pretty much stayed with the Takara Masterpiece toys before that. Of course, some high end prop replicas here or there as well. I'm much more selective and much happier with the stuff I get these days. I'd rather spend more for the quality I usually get in return.

18. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Heh, I'm kinda the opposite. Heroes of Cybertron, 3" Titaniums, Robot Heroes, Legends Class, Scouts, Real Gear, I prefer these guys over most larger figures, partly because you can cram a ton of them on one shelf (and I'm limited on space as it is) and they can look pretty impressive in massive quantities.
    DN

19. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:

^What he said.

20. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    I only get the best of the best, such as the MPs, of my favorite characters. Sometimes I prefer accuracy over quality though.

Because I live on both coasts I take my HOCs with me and leave the heavy hitters at home.

On a side note, I'm more disappointed with the Walmart Dev than I thought I'd be. Might sell him and get the bootleg instead.