High bids for part lot on Ebay...just not sure why

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by jamspeed, Jan 13, 2011.

1. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    Transformers G1 Accessories and Parts Lot - eBay (item 250753416009 end time Jan-13-11 19:00:35 PST)

Check out the link, Am I missing something? Why are people bidding this up so high, even if you were a reseller it would take a long time to recoup your money on this I would think. I have seen far nicer and complete collections sell for less.

I'm just curious, its not my auction obviously, and I wouldn't have bid on it for 1/4 the price - just wondering. I have seen stupid stuff on Ebay before though.

2. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There is a TON of expensive/hard to find stuff in that pile.

I see parts from most of the g1 combiners, parts to bots, pretty good looking bots, etc.

If I was into G1 I would probably bid on it.

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Sioce is correct its worth what its going for and perhaps parted out what the winner doesn't personally need , it can recoup much of that price.

4. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    OK, I know there are parts that can sell for 5-10 on Ebay, some for more but it will take forever to get your money back on this, and the final bid was 910 bucks! For a few junker bots, some Roadbuster parts, A Reflector camera lens, misc. guns, swords, ect... Also the pictures are so crappy you can't see the condition of these parts. How many of those are bent, chewed on, faded - if the parts are anything like the bots in the picks a lot of them will be far from perfect.

We all know how these parts are on Ebay, BIN at $5,$8,$14 or more. And how long do these sit on Ebay waiting to be bought. I'm surprised it sold for so high, and yes I do buy and sell toys on Ebay and have for many years - I know the toy market pretty well. Just my opinion but the seller made out like a bandit.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    $910? thats seem too much for that lot by several hundred dollars...either someone has more bucks then brains or possible shill bidding was going on.

6. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Yeah... it's some nice parts, but I don't see $910 in that pile.

7. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    At the bottom where it shows questions, several people asked for more pictures...my guess is that there are some good finds that aren't visible in the posted pictures (headmasters, targetmasters, etc.)...

Otherwise, I couldn't see paying that much for what is visible.

8. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There are actually a few "Master" parts in the lot that can be seen from the provided pictures. I still believe $910 was a stretch but that's the nature of eBay ... auctions can be a crap shot for sellers and buyers

9. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    That is absurd. You can't tell if those pieces are broken, gd or bad condition and to go for $910.... I wouldn't pay 200 for them even if the seller had listed each item. The only way I would pay that high is if there were very rare parts like Grand Max, Black zarak parts etc.

10. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok wow, when I saw it I think it was a couple hundred and looked worth it...but almost a grand?!?

Some people have entirely too much money.

Unless as stated above, additional pictures showed something(s) of real value.

11. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    ^This. I mean, seriously. I woudnt touch a junk pile of stuff at that price. Id bebetter usung that $$ to buy a complete MIB Vintage toy/ or several loose and nice conditioned ones.

12. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    ^ Indeed

13. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Well unless there are a lot of Fort Max parts hidden under there I would say too much. Although, for someone wanting to complete a lot of bots this would not be such a bad idea.

14. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Some good stuff in there but not worth $900.

15. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that you have people who get into ridiculous "bidding wars" and bid things up really high just to win....I also bet that a lot of these people end up as nonpaying bidders...

16. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Here's what I suspect happened. I always hated getting sniped or outbid at the last second. So what I was doing for a time to make sure I didn't get outbid by a cent, would be to put a very large bid at the last second. For instance, if I was "sure" that an item wouldn't go more than say 100 bucks, or I was trying to get an item for $100, even though I probably would pay more for it, I'd throw a bid at the last second of say, 400 bucks, just to make sure that someone didn't throw a last second bid of something I probably would have paid, but would have had no time to reconsider or counter. It worked pretty well for a while. Unfortunately, the downside is when you have two people who have the same thinking, and you end up with each person upping the bid to a really high amount that neither of the two planned. I've seen this happen on several occasions (and actually talked to a couple of the winning bidders after the fact about why it went so high) and my suspicions were confirmed. This was of course when you used to be able to see who won an auction.

Who knows whether this auction will actually get completed or not.