Hiding tf fanism?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by the man, Feb 17, 2009.

1. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Hey, no point hiding the fact that we are ALL Transformers fans.... ;D
    That said, i dont prefer to wear loud TF T-shirts etc, just sometimes i geek out at the local mall bazaar every weeekend with a bunch of what else...Tf geeks!! I let myself go nuts and talk about my hobby non-stop.... when im home of course my parents & siblings give me stick and nag....but ignorance is bliss, no?!!! Btw, i have no othe GF commitments, i live with my parents and i spoil myself with at least US $200 a month for Tf related stuff........... ;) 

2. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

I don't hide it, but I typically try to have some class about it. Nothing's more annoying than an obnoxious fan- wear it proud but don't wear it loud. :cool: 

3. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't hide it, never did. everyone at work knows I like Transformers. when in public wear a winter jacket that has an Autobot logo on the back and the word "TRANSFORMERS" on the left side of the arm :) 

4. Drake915

Drake915 Autobot Scout

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't hide it all either. Screw anybody who has a problem with it. Like the others said, you could be into a lot worse. If people want to bitch about what we like then they can just turn around and look at how well the live action movie did. Then take a look at new military technology and see who all is into robots with guns too. I'd probably even wear some shirts if I could find any that i thought looked realy good. the last one i did finally fell apart after years of wear.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you are into Sailor Moon, then i'd hide that, lol. Just kidding.

You want to justify your hobby? You shouldn't have to justify anything that makes you happy, but if you want it anyway, here it is:
    Transformers can be seen as an area of anthropology.
    Your hobby crosses borders, it has its own subculture and social structure. there's a highly volatile mythos that is constantly open to debate or even revision.
    The technical aspects of the toy collecting side involves lots of serious thought. From analysis of the toys you get, that often provide mods and fixes to make them better, to kitbashers or scratchbuilders; this hobby isn't for the vapid or feeble minded.

I have had moments where i gave up on this as a hobby. but what i learn from it, the pleasure i get out of it, i am glad i am still here. and i don't hide it from people.

at christmas and birthdays, i am the go-to guy for people trying to get their kids good toys. so it pays sometimes to brag about your hobby.

I think that in the day and age of Mythbusters, and it's copycat shows, being Nerdy is cool, so it should be okay to let a little TF geeky-ness show could be a good thing.
    peace.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I never hid it, but then I grew out of them by 12/13 ish (when G1 died out) and then got a bunch of other hobbies.

When I rediscovered them in 2000 everyone at work knew what I was doing and what was in those brown boxes I got mailed in.

The way I see it, if you're confident in yourself (and lets face it, you're still in school, so its a valid question) there's no point in hiding it. But everything in moderation. Spread yourself out a bit, enjoy other hobbies too.

And if other kids give you grief over this, remember, in a few years time you'll never see them ever again. EVER.

7. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    My modest collection (at the time, May 2005) WAS the first thing a lady friend of mine saw when she entered my grubby hovel of an apartment. She told me that she considered turning around and walking out...nearly four years later the three of us (we created offspring) are quite happy together, although she does chide me about spending frivolously in these uncertain times.
    The collection (at the time) was a conversation point...and we all know where talk can lead.
    I never hid my fandom, but I rarely put it out there for everyone to see, either. Whether I did so or not depended more on whim than on what I perceived others' opinions to be.

8. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    Like it's been said many times "don't hide something that you like", it just makes you not yourself which is my opinion. Who cares what other people think of you, kids these days are stupid and are prejudice to about anything for any reason so don't worry about them.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    I usually don't try to hide it. Heck, at school my friend actually lent me his G1 Soundwave so I could draw up some more accurate blueprints for the figure as opposed to the patient's blueprints. Some kid saw me luging him around and laughed at me, saying I was a geek and a moron and such. I paid him no mind.

'Cause I told him it was a toy representation of a new character in the Transformer movie sequel (partly true, Soundwave is reportedly in the movie but not in his G1 blocky self), and the jerk bought it by shutting up and going all wide eyed on me.

10. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't hide it at all and I am 57. Got an Autobot symbol on my car, I wear the shirts, I can be found in many a toy aisle, they pop up on my screensaver at work...

11. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

not so much anymore if at all really

when i was going through my teen years though other then writing the occasional one shot story fic i kept that fact hidden like the plague

hell my life was difficult enough at the time when it came to the social hell known as jnr and snr high school

12. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

I work for the state's main newspaper, so it's a pretty serious business environment for the most part, and because of that I stick out like a sore thumb. While most people have various journalist related paraphanalia on their desks, I have Starscream and a bunch of TF related funk. I cop a lot of flak about it, and there's this one guy who has this big thing about warning every new person about the "weird dude over there, he bites". But it's all in good fun and for sheer laughs, and I really enjoy having the repuation of being the office nerd. Besides, I dish it back just as much to those that are total sports jocks, or, like Luke, the really stereotypical journalists I work with. In the end, I'm known for having a unique personality that's easily distinguishable from the rest of the crowd. We're all good friends, and we understand and tolerate our differences.

I have to admit back in school it was a far less tolerant crowd, but I never hid it. I don't really see much point in being someone I'm not. Why bother otherwise?

13. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Everyone who knows me knows, im a fan of this kinda stuff.

Only few people know that I have a room full of glass cabinets that looks like an 80`s Toys R Us, this is for security and slight shame. I still feel a bit odd when I get excited about toys and then manage to contain myself and buy them in a sensible manor.

14. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

I admit to my coworkers of my geekness

15. ashion

ashion Well-Known Member

I certainly don't. I tend to wear a big black hoodie with a huge Decepticon logo on the back a lot and get stared at when i couple it with my "I PWN BOYS" top. Its fun.

16. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Why hide?

17. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    If someone is gonna make fun of you because you have transformers, would they not say something else to make fun of you anyways? Dood, it's not worth hiding anything. I don't hide that i love the lord. You know how much people make fun of me for that? I'm a goofy bastard and i don't give a crap if people i don't know or aren't freinds with say things to me or at me. Be true to yourself and enjoy who you are.

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm in my upper 30's and I hide it.

Not because I'm an adult with the weird hobby of being into toys. I'm rather proud of my GI Joe hobby and I love to stubble upon other GI Joe fans. All the fans seem to be really nice people both in person and on-line except for one web site, but to name names would be mean.

Transformers fans, yea the way they act on the internet just dampens my feeling of hey these would be good people to interact with in real life. Not that there are not great wonderful people around here, it's just the bad apples tend to taint the whole thing for me. It's so bad I'll make sure the toy isle is clear before picking up new Transformers figures because I dread that I might run across another Transformers collector.

Okay that and after the first movie I was really a shame to be a Decepticon fan because I figured the fans of cooler villains would laugh at me for my faction being such weak jobbers.

19. Vince

Vince Decepticon

News Credits:
    Nope not at all, I kind of used to in highschool (though i totally regret it) so i understand where you're coming from; and like others have said, college/ university is more accepting of stuff like this.

Now I dont try to hide it at all; I wear tf shirts around all the time (etc), I could care less about what people think.

Also, I kind of have to disagree with someone's comment about 'hiding it from girls' or something. Why should you have to hide something about yourself like that? Especially in a relationship. If they arent going to be accepting of who you are than dont bother with them!!!

Be yourself man!!!

20. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I don't hide it at all, I'm proud of it. And those who are my friends accept it.