Hiding tf fanism?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by the man, Feb 17, 2009.

1. the man

the man I iz a Roadbuster fan

(forgive me of the title's spelling is wrong)

Hi fellow transformers fans, um there's a question i've been thinking of in my head and i wanted to ask it now.
    Do you or did you ever hide you tf fanism in public?

If you're like me than you do. you see high school is already tough enough, and the last thing that i would want is every one to know i'm a nerd(except for my friends)so when ever i'm in the store looking at tf's, it's like i'm a spy. i sort of look around in the toy isle and see if there's anyone i know around. if there isn't i take a toy i like and head to the cashier as fast as i can without running...or if my parents have a cart i sort of hide it in there untill they're ready to pay..

anyway that's basicly my prosses of bying tfs and i'd rather not explain anything else. Does or did anyone here in tfw2005.com go through anything like this?

2. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    don't hide it. buy the toys, wear the shirts, watch the shows, enjoy the hobby. If someone gives you crap tell them that they need to mind their own business. If they then turn to making fun of you or picking on you, point out to them that at least your into something constructive that has potential to make you a profit as opposed to drugs, gangs, etc... If they still persist then see to it that they have to pull down their pants to swish the Listerine.

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    No, I don't hide my being a fan. And I think there's seriously something wrong with someone if they are that insecure about their hobby.

4. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Anyone who really knows me, knows I'm a Transformers fan. It's always been that way. I've never felt I had to hide the fact of fandom either. If people don't understand, oh well.

5. AMG

AMG Old School

Nope, I don't hide it.

6. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never hide it. Im 32 years old still were the tfs tshirts and have them displayed in my cube, and most everyone who knows me knows i love transformers. Its who you are and you shouldnt have to hide that infront of anyone. If they dont like it kick em in the penis:) 

7. Starscream2008

Starscream2008 Megatron sucks!

I don't hide it either. My family and friends make comments(especially when they see how the collection grows so fast! lol), but I pay them no heed. I've had a Transformer on my desk at work for a long time(first MP Starscream and now TFA Ultra Magnus), and tell people I collect them. You'd be surprised how many other people out there collect toys/dolls/antiques and are willing to share it with you(especially when I tell them how much I made when I sold my collection of Star Wars figures, and when I sold my first TF collection). It's a great conversation starter in most circles.

8. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

I do understand how you feel about being teased at school, I was bullied to, but the others are right about one thing, you should never let someone bring you down for your beliefs whatever they are or your passion. We all seam to be, most of us I mean, grown ups, some 30's like myself and more. Transformers is a passion and a love for anybody, and the kids that make fun of you, probably what it themselves and might even be jealous of you for you love them and you show it.

The moral here, is just don't let anybody bring you down, no one should do this to someone else. If there is anything, at school, dont be scared to tell people.

There is alot of us outhere!

Now... Transform and roll out!

9. honcho

honcho It's been a while.

Ebay:
    Don't hide it, but I don't talk about it to others unless they want to.

10. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

I understand the feeling bro, at school when we have dress down days (we have a pretty gay dress-code) I usually have to make a pretty stupid decision... wear the "Trendy Clothes" or wear my transformers crap. Its actually kinda hard when you don't want to go off seeming like a nerd but sometimes when I wear the TF stuff I usually don't get bugged about it much and when I do its normally a compliment like "OMG its those robots that turn into cars I remember watching that in like the 90's but they were like... animals or something" and then I just smile and nod knowing that I have a full power of very nerdy insults behind me.

-DZko

11. devastator831

devastator831 Mechanical Engineer

I know I am repeating what everybody says, but don't hide it. High School is such a weird time in people's lives. It is such a big deal when you are in high school, but when you have been out of high school for a few years you wonder why you and everybody else thought it was such a big deal. Believe me there is more to life than high school. Point is who cares what everybody else in your high school thinks. Your friends are the ones that matter anyway. Just don't be annoying about what you are into.

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Balance in everything in your life is paramount, whether you're in high school, college, or later in 'real life'. If you take care of the basics like maintaining your health, taking care of your family, having normal social relationships with friends, holding down a decent job, nobody is going to make an issue out of you collecting toys or watching cartoons or whatever.

Now, if you're extremely overweight, rarely shower, make no effort to have good relationships with others, and live in front of your video game system, proudly wearing your TF shirt and talking about Transformers is just going to worsen the problem. Not saying that's fair or that anyone deserves to be treated poorly, but that's often what happens.

13. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I gotta admit, when I was in high school, I hid it. High school is a vicious, hate filled, horrible time for some people and I was one of those people who had a hard time of it. The last thing I needed was to give bullies more ammo. So I hid it. Anytime I would buy a toy and the cashier would say something, I would lie and tell her it was a birthday gift. Once I got into college I found that my classmates there were far more accepting, and now I don't hide it at all. In fact, I'll be taking my new RiD Scourge to work with me today. I'll get a couple of stares, but I'll get more people interested in the toy than not.

14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    More to this, chances are pretty good that people already realize you're a "nerd" in the way that you conduct yourself at school, and it becoming common knowledge you collect transformers is probably not really going to change things, unless you go completely gaga over it. Of course, the same could be said of any hobby that shows itself as an obsession for someone already not at the top of the social ladder.

If you honestly feel that ashamed about collecting, maybe its time to take a step away from the hobby. Stop buying tfs for a bit, and try out some other hobbies. Read more, play sports, take up an instrument, that kind of thing. Moving your interest into other areas, especially at your age, is an important thing to do. Even if you decide you want to keep collecting transformers, you'll be able to carry on a conversation that doesn't involve autobots or decepticons, and this will make you appear to be a more interesting individual to people outside the fandom, and will help you grow as a person as well.

If you do decide to continue collecting however, accept that you're going to catch a bit of flak for it, and, for lack of a better term, be at peace with yourself. As ams said, balance is the key. There's no sense in being ashamed of your hobbies, but there's no sense in being complete obsessed with them either.

15. FrankyWest

FrankyWest As far as it goes

You are so right about all this! Good point!

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Used to hide it when I was young, but these days I don't bother hiding it.

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Very well put.

As to the original post, if someone you "knew" was in the toy aisle, why would it be such a bad issue? Why are they there? Do you really think being spotted with a toy in a toy store/shopping store is going to end your social life? Do you think the school will be ablaze with conversations about you for having bought a toy the next day?

I'm not saying go around declaring it, but there's no reason you should be so ashamed of it that you're hiding it and running around stores hoping no one sees you making a purchase.

18. Longhaul53

Longhaul53 Guest

I've been a TF fan since the 80's. TF's, GI Joe, He-Man, and MASK were huge when i was in elementary school and it was honestly cool to most of my friends at that time... but by the time we all got to High School, things were slightly different. I never once hid the fact that i liked TFs, but i was also captain of the Football/Wrestling Team, a relatively successful student artist, and i was pretty good with the books... i led a healthy balanced life, had plenty of friends, and still found time to enjoy my robots. I never had the problems that the thread starter had mentioned. I know that kids in high school tend to be cruel, but it could be the case that these are merely "percieved" conceptions, and not a reality. You may have this imaginary heightened sense of social self. I think it's probably in your best interest to worry less about what other people think, and just enjoy the things you like... putting up this phony front might save you some 'embarrassment' in the short run, but it's a lot of extra pressure to pretend you're something you're not, and could lead to you having many more insecurities/social instabilities later in life, things that may require you needing several hours of therapy to get through...

My advice is to save yourself some trouble later in life and just 'take your lumps' now. It's not the worst thing ever. Every kid who wants to be anything in life needs to learn how to get thick skin. It's a part of the maturing process. You need to learn to take the criticism without feeling sorry for yourself... this is important, because you're going to encounter a lot of adversity in your life after HS. And if you cannot learn to deal with these kinds of things and still see your own worth, then you're going to have some bigger problems later on.

As you get older, as some people have mentioned in this thread already, High school will matter less and less. The further you go emotionally/educationally/in life beyond HS, the more comfortable you become with just being who you are... it's one of the most difficult lessons for a kid to learn, but once you grasp it you're on your way to becoming an adult.

19. Skyfire21

Skyfire21 A Challenger Approaches!

Ebay:
    I never used to hide it, even in High School, in-fact people used to compliment me when I wore the shirts to school. You don't see gamers hiding the fact they play games, and that's just as nerdy if you think about it, so I never had a problem.

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i hid it in high school, but now i don't bother, i'm not a stereotypical "nerd" i'm a nerd in disguise lol, i work in an aircraft plant and brought mp skywarp in, so many people were crowded around wanting to see all the features and the transformation lol, we stopped the production for like 15 mins