Customs: Hi! And.... a question about wheels.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by WhiteMocha, Aug 11, 2006.

1. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Hello! This is my first post on this site, though I've been watching the customs boards for a few months now and am very impressed with the great work you guys do.

I'm about to attempt my first kitbash, an Alt. Nemesis Prime into Trailbreaker (I know, many out there are working on the same project, so it's nothing new.... but I would still like to give it a try). I've checked out the Kitbasher's thread above, and there's a lot of great advice on there.

The question I have involves putting bigger wheels on Nemesis Prime. His default rims just don't scream "Trailbreaker" to me. I picked up some giant off-road wheels (the same ones that were referenced in a thread on this board a while back):

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=102594

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/src/src10001-00.htm

The thing is, they're so big that it will require a fair bit of modification to fit them on N. Prime (especially having them tuck up into his torso in robot mode). So, before I start cutting up my rare toy, I figured I would ask to see if anyone has successfully done this before? Anyone out there put bigger wheels on an Alt. Prime, who would be willing to share some tips?

Thanks very much, any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I haven't got my extra Nemesis Prime yet, so I haven't done this project yet. I would practice on an Alt Prime first. He's cheaper, and will be less of a loss if he gets trashed. Figure it out on Prime, then repeat on Nemesis Prime.

3. WhiteMocha

That's great advice, Insane Galvatron! I think I am going to do exactly that. I've only found one Prime so far, but I'm sure ultimately he will be much cheaper and easier to get a hold of.

Thanks again!

4. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Since those wheels are so large, you may need to work out a "lift" kit and for the front wheels, possibly some sort of removeable solution so they don't interfere with the transformation of the character.

5. Lobo

Lobo Well-Known Member

I'm currently doing a custom using the same tires on the Dodge.

But I'm making something a bit different and how I'm going about it doesn't really work with what you have in mind. But I still might be able to help.

The first thing you want to do is go to a hobby store and get some plain styrene sheets. You'll probably want to get either .06" or .08" thinckness for strength. And you might also want to get some tube styrene. Something that the inner part of the rim will slide into. Looks like 3/16" or 5mm.

Start with taking off the wheels if you haven't already done so. Usie the hot pin technique in Op's kitbashing tips thread stickyed above.

Start with the rear wheels. Cut off the rear axle and sand it smooth with the rest of the wheel well. Then make something similar to this out of the styrene.

[​IMG]

Make it so it will fit inside the wheel well. Mark out the new location of the wheel and glue the tube styrene to it. The more perpendicular you make it the better the results will be. Then cut the new axle to length where ever you want the tires to be. You can glue the wheel to the tube if you don't mind not have the wheels spin or you can do a little extra work to it and use long pin or a screw to attach the wheel. Up to you.

It also doesn't have to be "exactly" like what I drew. Use your imagination. Might even glue on some extra tube styrene to look like shocks.

For the front, I would cut off the axle on the disk brake and do a similar approach but not as wide. I would make the piece of styrene only as wide as the disk brake. Steering should even still be functional that way.

To solve the problem of the clearence in Bot mode. Instead of gluing the styrene to the brake. I'd use a screw and attach it to the same hole as the original axle. That way its free to rotate into a different position. You might also add some stops to keep it from rotating around too much in Alt mode. That or tighten down the screw quite a bit.

[​IMG]

After you have that built. Level the truck and mark out he locations of the new axle. Then attach the tube styrene and cut to position just like the rear.

Instant lift kit!

Hope this helps!

6. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    THANK YOU!!! Dude, your instructions are so clear and easy to understand I can follow them. I might do that with my second Alternators N. Prime custom I have in mind. I'm currently working on my first one, and hope to have it finished before next weekend.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Lobo is the Main Man, fanboy.

8. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Main Main?!? Uh, it must be late for you there, buddy, because I think you MIGHT mean Main Man. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Eh, my monitor is shot (I have no reds in it currently) and yes it is late. Anyways, I'm one of the few who knows how to use the 'edit' button on message boards it seems. . . . thanks for the oversight! Correction is good if it helps others. :) 

10. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Well, maybe if you were on AIM for a bit I could've pointed it out there... ;-)

Anywho, Lobo is a genuis and he should offer an online course for toy altering and toy design. If he isn't in toy design and engineering already, whatever he does for a living, he's in the wrong field. Dude, your work KICKS ASS! WOO!

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Man, Lobo posts his work and shares a TON of things (like the contents of his post here) on how he does his work. I'd consider that an online course in kitbashing. ;) 

12. WhiteMocha

THANK YOU so much, Lobo! Those directions were thorough, clear, and concise. Theat is a lot of great information you passed on, it's very generous of you! And thanks to everyone else who replied, as well. I really appreciate you all sharing the tricks of the trade with a newbie.

Now off to give this a try!