HftD Scout Hubcap

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by SharkyMcShark, Jun 29, 2010.

1. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Had this for a while so I assumed there'd be a thread, but apparently not. Hubcap is the second of the new Scout molds for the start of the Hunt for the Decepticons promotion (and the start of the yellow box packaging).

He transforms into a red old school hot rod. The alt mode is largely red (slightly orangey) and has a decent amount of molded detail. Front and rear bumpers and lights are in silver, the mirrors and boot and door handles are unpainted. There's a molded fuel cap on the back right hand side of the car. The only other detail in this mode are the pipes on either side of the vehicle, which look quite nice and are the same silver as the front grill/lights.

The transformation is really easy. The front wheels move out to the side to form shoulders and the doors are on the side of the forearms. The remaining back half of the car unfolds and expands to reveal the legs. Note that it doesn't become the legs - aside from the chest and shoulders this is entirely a shellformer - the back half of the car is attached to the back of the legs. Then the front grill folds down to form the chest, exposing the head in doing so (not really automorph although it does raise up a bit through this motion).

There we go. Robot mode is alright - the limbs are different shades of grey (with some bronze detailing on the legs). They are nicely detailed, especially the forearms which have a nice segmented look to them. From the front it looks good but if you turn it around you can see what a shell former it is - essentially the entire car sans grill is hanging off his back and his legs. The headsculpt looks sort of Bumblebee esque. There could be long term issues with the grill/chest, in that it doesn't really lock in to anything, it's held in place by friction. Likewise the read segment of the car, which hangs off the back of the ankles on a relatively loose joint - it can be held in place by clamping the car roof parts hanging off his legs up against them, but again that's just friction stopping it flapping about.

Overall this is a reasonable mold. I don't hold any particular affection for the alt mode (I know there are some enthusiasts of that nature on this forum), and it could have done with some more paint apps. The transformation, for what it is, works quite well. The robot mode is nice from the front and decently articulated, but if viewed from most other angles it becomes clear that it is quite the shellformer. The best way I can summarise it is if you think of a robot curling itself into a ball and positioning car panels around it.

6/10.

2. libeskind

libeskind Well-Known Member

I think you're taking liberties with your definition of a shellformer since I think the car bits are quite well integrated (as opposed to dangly kibble parts).

That said, this mold does seem to be a good candidate for re-shelling.

3. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Well they are shell in that they just hang there on their own joints. That's how I'm looking at it. The only parts of the car that are actually integrated into the robot mode are the chest and shoulders.

4. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Are you able to post some pics? I'm really looking forward to this figure but it would be nice to see some pics of what you are refering to with the 'shell-former' vibe you're getting from him. Thanks!

5. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Very much looking forward to this fellow, I'm already chalking up another win for the scout class. Sounds like he transforms kinda like IceCream Skids - interesting.

6. TornadoQuakeX

TornadoQuakeX Decepti-Creep

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Thanks for the pics Tornado. I can't wait to get this guy.

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    waiting on HTS to ship him along with Ldr SS and Brimstone.
    now that i think of it, i wish i had gotten 2 each of Hubcap and Brimstone.
    i know a hot rodder and a biker that would get a kick outta having these on their desks.

thanks for the pics, even if it makes the wait worse, lol.

9. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Thanks for the pics. He looks great, even if most of his car mode hangs off his back/legs, it doesnt look bad. Definate buy for me.

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just got him and Brimstone today..

Hubcap is a nice figure. He looks great in both modes and really hides his transformation in vehicle mode. Transformation is simplistic but effective. Overall he is a fun little figure and kinda reminds me of an old school go-bot. Overall worth a buy.. 8.5/10

11. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Simple but highly effective figure, doesn't really require instructions to get it right.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Great figure, but I hate how his chest doesn't peg in.

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the alt mode on this guy, the robot mode not so much.

14. orionpax636

orionpax636 What the...?

News Credits:
    The reign of impressive scouts continues. I dig the Autobot sigil on the hood, but wish he had a little bit more paint in car mode. In comparison to the slightly fiery deco of Brimstone, I think they could have spared a little lacquer for this guy. It will be bittersweet if they give better paint use to re-use this mold for a Big Daddy repaint...or more appropriately Greaser or Hubs.

Both modes are still cool, and he's a satisfying figure all around. Good poseability, snug joints, and while the hood/chest doesn't lock down, I don't find it moving out of place at all.

15. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's some minor qc issues on mine, but I really like this figure.

16. Zahrumac

Zahrumac Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love this guy and can't wait to get my hands on him. It reminds me of ZZ Top's hot rod:
    [​IMG]

17. Angelus

Angelus Well-Known Member

Great figure, the scout class save the RotF line.

18. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I actually prefer him as an all red car mode. If they had put flames or something on the alt mode, I honestly probably would not have bought him.

19. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    I believe it was annouced at Botcon that a Big Daddy repaint is in the works.

20. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Yeah, thats why I grabbed Hubcap. I know that flames can suit the old Hotrod style cars but I'm just not one for them. Hubcap looks great with just the red and 'chrome'.