Heavy/Scratch: HFTD ROTF Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by OMEGAPRIME1983, Jul 18, 2011.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys, long time no custom! I was down and out for a while due to a shoulder injury, so I wasn't really able to paint much. HOWEVER, I FINALLY got this guy finished up, and while it isn't as awesome as some of frenzy_rumble or enclines customs, I still love what's been done with it! This is a part of where savio prime's AWESOME double blaster Bumblebee started! I was so immensely impressed what he had done with his battle blade bee that I had to get one done for myself, so Savio and I made a deal; I paint and detail his, he mods mine! It was a perfect deal for each of us. Once Savio and I got our jobs done, and bee's back to their respective homes, I added one more thing to his arms. The little yellow armor piece that wraps his biceps didn't follow all the way around to the inside of his arms. So I took some styrene, and built them up a bit. Cool part is that they don't interfere with transformation in the slightest. Once I had that done, I went to work on the paint. I know I started a WIP thread for this like... Last year, but I was lazy, and I didn't really feel like drudging up an old thread like that. Onto the awesomeness that is this custom! Firstly, this guy was painted in THE sunrise yellow used on the concept camaro's! And I tell you what.. it's a PITA! I had to repaint this thing like.. 4 times or so (I don't have the greatest work area :/) The color, for myself, is tricky, as I wasn't sure as to how much to put on, if I should put multiple thin coats on, a couple medium coats of the yellow, UGH!!! Wasn't a fun experience for me, but you know what. It was SO worth the frustration of the repainting the parts, that I think I have it down to a pretty good science now, :) . Once, all was dried and clear coated with Tamiya's lacquer gloss clear, I started off by painting that black. It's a custom mix of flat black and silver. It's not gunmetal-y at all, which is funny seeing how I would have thought that was what gunmetal would have looked like. ANYWAY, once I got that first layer of my black down, I went to the net to find me that super awesome color pallet for BB's CGI counterpart, and I followed that as best I could. It called for a couple more custom mixed paints, such as a blued gunmetal, and some really really dark metals (I'm serious what I say the his face has 4 different shades of gunmetal on it..) After about a week of so of detailing everything he sat, because I had re-injured my shoulder that I jacked up last year (WOOHOO! THAT SUCKED!!) Anyway, I'm FINALLY back in the groove of things, and I got my ass in gear with this guy. I laid out the tape for the racing stripes, got those painted, then came the super fun part.. Trying to find a pin striping SMALL enough to look really good on him. The smallest I could find in B&M store was 1/16". So, I remembered a trick I had found while I was down which as taking 2 #11 x-acto blades, breaking the tang off one, and gluing them together. I ten cut myself some 1/64"-ish pin striping for the racing stripes. Added a couple extra little details, and here we are. :)  Done and done. So without further a due, PICTRES! YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!! (sorry guys, just really happy to get this guy finished :D ). Also, be sure to check out the wickedly great review that Peaugh did of the refined version over in the feedback area :thumb !!

Attached Files:

2. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    Man this is Sharp! Really well Done Sir!

And that's a damn Long Text ^^

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    HAHA! I know, but I'm so psyched about this being done, I just kept going and going, LOL!!!!

4. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    Great paint job!
    That back looks complex! Would it still be possible to cut the car parts with "CAMARO" on them from the door pieces and glue them onto the hood? Also, I recommend cutting the car pieces above the wheels and gluing them to the chest pieces. IMO those two mods by savio-prime help the look a lot.

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree completely about the fender parts getting glued to the chest pieces, and I'll be doing that without a doubt on the NEXT one I do. however, I have no intention of doing any more with this one, as I have plans to do something different with the parts that say "CAMARO" on them, and with the backpack as well ;) .

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No love for this guys?? Come on, gimme a little somethintoo work with :lol 

7. hthrun

Ebay:
    Here's another thought, since you asked :)  ... I think the collars are too big, maybe you could snip them down in your next one.

8. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was thinking that too, but I think that since I've got the DMK-02, and I'm looking for someone to cast the hands, I'm going to throw the collar pieces in there along with the door wing arm pieces too. Make for a good way to have everything connect a bit more "properly". But good looking out. I'll put shorter collar pieces into the notes for the next one. The real thin is that in the movie while there isn't much mass shifting going on, there is some, and Bee's chest armor does some funky warping and folding that can't achieved on the toy, so..

9. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    New pictures added!!

10. hthrun

Ebay:
    How many more do you plan on doing? I've just got one going. I'm planning to do the thigh twist yet and then look into working on the back to create the lower wings and move the tail lights up...

At some point we'll have to move onto DotM BB! I still want to do several mods to HA BB :) 

11. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i can has bumblebee's?

seriously though you did a fantastic job with this

12. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm planning one more for ebay maybe, and then one for myself. I would LOVE to see savio primes version in this paint job, so I'm secretly trying to persuade him to do 2 more for me, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell him that just yet, LOL!

SURE!! find it on ebay, and bid!! LOL! Seriously though, thank you much for the compliment. Coming from a scratch building master, that means a lot to me :) !!

13. hthrun

Ebay:
    I won't say a word... if you can get him to make one for me ;) 

14. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lol, you'll have to take that up with the man himself. I'm not even sure he is going to do all the parts I was asking him to just yet either, I know he said he was super busy with stuff, so.... ANYWAY, we are getting WAAAY off topic there, Back to BBBB.

15. Overdrive

Overdrive Active Member

Nice work! I'm a fan of SavioPrime's work as well, and have been thinking about modding my BBBBs to the same tune. Keep up the good work!

16. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Well I wouldn't go that far but you have some great painting skills

17. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As far as what? And thank you much for the kind words my friend! Hey hows that megatron I sold ya coming along by chance?

18. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    updated first post with yet ANOTHER new set of pictures!! HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE EM!!

19. cnomis

cnomis Well-Known Member

love BB, he s always look hot on any of u guys hand~

20. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks much cnomis