HFTD Hailstorm Pictorial Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Peaugh, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Got Hailstorm today (from China via KOToys.com contest, not retail)
    Tank mode is pretty cool. It came to me slightly mistransformed, so I'm only kinda sure that I got it right.
    Robot mode is stocky (no wai!) and ape-like. Transformation to robot ain't too bad. Transformation back was kinda shaky for me.

I'll give it somewhere between a 6 and 7 out of 10. Buy it, but wait for a sale.

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I was a bit disappointed when I got that toy. Tank mode is okay I guess, although it takes some massaging to get it right. Robot mode is strangely articulated, but the perma-brute mode is pretty cool.

3. Blackout2505

Blackout2505 Well-Known Member

Anyone else find this little guys cute? o_O 

4. clonemanager

clonemanager Hunter

News Credits:
    got this guy from Target store finally... it is one of the best Decepticon deluxe I 'd say..
    with tons of personality. and filling up the role of Armada Demolishor !

5. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    My friend just got him too. And I have helped to cut short the missiles. Looks much better.
    I am surprised with his articulation. pretty good for a runt.

[​IMG]

6. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I had a world of a time trying to get him back into alt mode. I couldn't get the damned legs to clear the treads below it.

Then I realized the crotch has to be an a certain angle for the legs to clear the treads.

Overall he's a really fun figure though.

7. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like him despite the derpy arms and G2-esque missiles.

He's got a nice football player like build going for him.

8. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    For the most part I really dig this toy. The transformation has some very clever bits to it and while his articulation is middling they at least made sure to give him good feet to support all that topheaviness. His headsculpt is great. The missiles are certainly ungainly and I never liked the Cyberjet marble-shooter missile style but I acknowledge that both of those things were kind of unavoidable in this case. My biggest problem with the toy is his incredibly daft little forearms! They look pathetic in any position other than completely straight.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I went back and forth and whether or not I was gonna buy this guy... I initially liked the way he looked, and was curious about him being a Mindset homage (even if it seemed like a stretch on Hasbro's part). Then we saw more pictures and I was disappointed by how small he was, and how he didn't seem particularly articulate (that might be more important to me than to others).

But, I did buy him, and I think he's pretty cool. He -has- proper articulation, it's just oddly placed. His legs have plenty of joints, though due to the flat feet and topheaviness, he can only work in so many poses. I was surprised at how his feet pivot and how well his thigh swivel is hidden, though. It helps to balance the poses he can make. No one squats quite like this guy!

His arm articulation isn't quite as good as his legs, but I love the detail on him. His fingers are so well sculpted that I was sure they must articulate. They don't, but when they have so much character, who cares? His treaded biceps are also loaded in detail. I really like the way his arms transform, with the treads folding together and the whole arm assembly pulling down with his collar bone. I also like the fact that you can position his head above his shoulders, or plopped down onto his chest.

All in all, this is a quirky little figure with a lot of personality, detail, and weaponry. A fun addition to any Decepticon shelf :) 

10. Philister

Philister Teutonicons Rising!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    For more pics, click on the image above

Robot Mode: Hailstorm is rather short for a Deluxe-class figure, but makes up for it in stockiness. He’s the big, powerhouse type, not the lean acrobat. His arms, comprised of the folded tank threads from his vehicle mode, hang almost down to the floor. A bit longer and his nicely sculpted (though not articulate) hands would drag on the floor. Makes for an ape-like image, but there’s nothing bad about that at all. Posability is pretty good for this figure, though one needs a moment to get used to the way the elbows are put together.

Depending on your personal preferences, there are two different ways to position Hailstorm’s head. The first one is the one you see in the pictures, with the head sitting on top of the shoulders (this is also the official version as seen on the back of the package). You can also position the head down and forward, though, giving Hailstorm a hunchback look, which also increases his already strong resemblance to Energon Demolishor.

In terms of weapons Hailstorm has two huge missile launchers on his shoulders, each capable of firing four red missiles. No spring mechanism for the missiles, though there is the kind of pressure-launch system that dates all the way back to the G2 Cyberjets and works just as well. The missiles are pretty long, meaning they stick way out back. I’d have gone for shorter missiles, but there’s probably safety laws or something forcing them to be this long. It’s not a flaw as such, just something worth mentioning. Hailstorm also has handles on his launchers were clip-on weapons from other figures (such as Darkmount) can be attached to give him even more firepower.

All in all a good-looking, well-put together figure. No complaints except for the missile thing.

Alternate Mode: Hailstorm transforms into a mobile missile launcher, somewhat similar to the vehicle mode of Cybertron Defense Scattorshot. Not sure what the official name of this vehicle is and I’m too lazy to find out, but given my fairly limited knowledge of military vehicles I deem it quite realistic-looking, especially with the military-green coloring, broken up by white camouflage patterns. Detailing is pretty good and the missile launcher (the long tails of the missiles now housed inside a cage-like box-thing) can turn a full 360 degrees, as well as angle upwards. So all in all not the most spectacular vehicle mode ever, but a good, solid showing.

Remarks: Not much in the way of a back story for Hailstorm. Didn’t appear in any movie, series or comic book I know of. His profile text is kind of interesting, though, describing him as a clumsy weapons genius. Definitely offers possibilities for future stories. Anyway, the figure itself is pretty good. I would have preferred shorter missiles, but apart from that I have little to complain about. He’s missing that certain something extra or outstanding to get an A-rating from me, but if you’re looking for a good, solid Deluxe toy to bolster your Decepticon ranks, Hailstorm is definitely worth a look or two.

Rating: B

11. roy_flagg00

roy_flagg00 I want more life....

12. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

About how short did you cut them?

13. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Just some 3mm after the hole of each missile. It does not protrude out that much and you can still fire the missile by pushing the back.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm quite enjoying the little banana-nosher. I'd like to see him in Optimus Primal colours as a Cybertron Form version, maybe swapping the missle racks for something more peaceful and explorer science-y, like a radio dish array and telescope that could double as a shoulder cannon if you fancied. Or unplugged for handheld action. Have a missile in it which can double as a sword. The radar dish thingy could be detached and used as an energon shield when using the sword.

Failing that he can stay green and be my Cybertron Form Rhinox. The gold and green are a nice match. And the missiles are his beans. :) 

[​IMG]

Wish his legs were longer- it's not like they didn't have space to extend his knees a bit more. Could've done with double ball-joints for his ankles too to give them a better range of swivel movement.

15. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think his proportions are quite right to be stood upright. Personally I think he looks a bit of a knuckle dragger so I leave the missile rack untransformed on his back and pose him slightly hunched over with one of his arms on the ground. He stands beside Darkmount as an example of one of his experiments in Cybertronian genetics.

[​IMG]

16. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

17. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    LOL

I got this guy in the mail today. Hailstorm is pretty cool. I like his transformation with the sliding chest and how the treads become his arms.

18. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

He looks like a mountain dew machine waiting to be customed into

19. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    I'm disappointed with this figure. I like his alternate mode, but the missiles don't work too well and I don't really like his robot mode. I canceled my preorder for Mindset.

20. Mighty.Maximal

Mighty.Maximal Banned

I wonder if someone needs to make a list of Toys with 3mm Clip bars and 3mm Clip weapons.

There's some that are a bit less obvious like NEST Brawn & HFTD Hubcap for example.
    That people might not realise.