Heavy/Scratch: HFTD G1 Whirl

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by inturnmike, Mar 14, 2011.

1. inturnmike

inturnmike Well-Known Member

Hello All! I just completed my HFTD G1 Whirl repaint/mod...

For this guy, I took HFTD Tomahawk and did the following:

-Cut off 2 opposite rotor blades.

-Cut off the angled portions of the the 2 "wings".

-Cut off the machine guns from those wings and glued them onto the sides of the wings that were left on.

-Cut the top half of his head off.

-Took out the rotating sensor (from underneath the vehicle's nose).

-Cut off the swivel joint and the 2 mini-wings from the sensor and glued it to head.

-Cut off the barrel of Legends Sandstorm's mounted gun and glued it to the side of Whirl's head.

-Dremeled a few spots for smoothness, especially inside the cockpit (to make room for the head w/ antenna during transformation).

-Painted main portions of body with airbrush, using a mixture of Model Masters "Duck Egg Blue" and "Ford/GM Engine Blue".

-Used Model Masters "Guard Red", Testors "Glossy Black" and "Glossy Yellow", as I did not have any flats for the rotors, accents, and eye.

Let me know what you think! I may go back and do something to take the shine off of the rotors.....or spray a clear coat on it for preservation (which would give the whole thing the glossy look)...Also, I have been trying to scrape off the overflow of the blue paint over the cockpit windows with an exacto blade. Any other ideas to make that a little cleaner?

-Mike

Attached Files:

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

That looks really nice.

3. inturnmike

Thank you! :)  (FYI...this is the 1st custom i have actually completed. I am still working on my G1 Getaway)...

4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

It's about time someone did this! i think someone actually made one before, but not like that and in those colors. And thats how I want mine to look. the only thing else I was going to try and achieve was to make his feet form his skid feet.

Pretty awesome man! any chance of getting some pics next to some "classics"? like prime or something.

Randy!

5. inturnmike

Sure! I am at work with him now (do most of my painting while at work on the weends, lol)...but I will bring him home for my 3 days off and take some pics next to some classics. :)  ty!

6. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

That is spot-on! Great job, I'd love to see a Hasbro repaint/remold like this.

7. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

thanks man. I have that mold and some classics, but the color really changes him, and I'd like to see how they actually look together. :) 

Randy!

8. inturnmike

Np, thanks for the input!

9. inturnmike

Any more comments? :) 

10. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    I really dig what you did with the head and how you changed the alt mode so much that it stands apart from Tomahawk. Great custom overall!

As far as removing the paint, if you used acrylics it would most likely just scrape off with a toothpick. If it was enamels I'm not sure, I don't work with those.

11. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Wassup, AZ bro!! Great paint job on him. I know your looking to improve, so I'm gonna be a lil wordy with my feedback.

First off, the paint job is nice and smooth! Great work with the blue and yellow. The red stripe on the rotor is not as clean, so I would recommend you taking one more step and masking off the stripe area with some low adhesion painters tape and then airbrushing it red.

To clean up your overspray, try a toothpick dipped in some rubbing alcohol, rubbing the edge of your cockpit window lightly with the toothpick's edge. The exacto knife is a great tool as well, just be careful so as not to scratch your plastic.

My only other suggestion would be to totally remove the original head and do a full replacement. While what you have looks good, with closer inspection it appears that the old head is wearing a "hat" with an eye and an antenna on it.

Like I said, for your first full bash this one is a awesome job. I look at him and I KNOW it's Whirl. Can't wait to see your next project. :thumb 

12. inturnmike

Cool, thanks! I taped off the two stripes when I painted in yellow, and then free-handed the red, mostly cuz I wanted him done, and I am at work :)  I know what you mean about the "hat". I am not completely satisfied with the head...but I do think it looks pretty close to whirl as is. That's why I wanted to meetup w/ you at some point, to go over techniques for that kind of stuff, Autobotx23...

13. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Yeah, but with my schedule it's gonna be a slim chance for us to hook up, man. Lion, Roykop and Savio are all my homies and on my side of town and we usually end up dropping stuff off on each other's doorsteps :lol .

Definitely continue to utilize the Radicons forum for feedback for improvement, man. Check the tutorials and gleam all the information you can from the other Radicons here. I learned almost everything I know from these boards. Trial and error is much better assistance than I can ever be for you. But like I said, great job so far, man. :thumb 

14. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

Ebay:
    nice! i like it. try thinnig the lower head to give him a slender but long neck and maybe even define where both the upper and lower attach so that it looks like one piece (my two cents anyway)

15. inturnmike

Thx! Yeah, I just wanted this to be quick and easy, so it is like 99% made from its own parts. The only thing I had to add from another mold was the little antenna/gun from Legends Sandstorm. Everything else was from a single Tomahawk. :) 

16. warriorpriest

warriorpriest Priest of Primus

News Credits:
    wow given the fact the orginal whirl seemed slightly out of place in G1 this guy would fit right in with the CHUG/RTS toys. Awesome job.

17. inturnmike

Thank you! Phoenixliger..I may try doing that. I have the next 3 days off w/ nothing to do so.... :) 

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is a great custom :thumb  I think if you follow ax23's advice (which is a great example of constructive criticism, I might add), you can turn a great custom into a super awesome one :) 

Thanks for sharing, and keep up the good work :thumb 

19. inturnmike

Bigbot3030 wanted some pics with some Classics-esque figures....so here they are!

Attached Files:

20. warriorpriest

warriorpriest Priest of Primus

News Credits:
    like i said that totally fits in with the classics toys. :D