HftD Deluxe Ironhide

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Aigis, Jul 3, 2010.

1. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If this really is possible, I might be able to combine this idea with one of mine.
    I've transformed him a few times & it looks like the head tab could be left on the hood halves, thus removing it from behind the head in bot mode...

I also think it'd be possible to rig the right cannon to slide down on the mounting screw, thus making the cannon slide down into battle mode & up into normal mode.

Plus I've got an idea to make the left cannon extendable too, so that it surpasses the front window when in battle mode.

But these mods are probably pending me fixing my project desk that broke when I moved, so I can start detailing these & other ideas more efficiently...

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Two feet into the bed holes has been what I was using but it looks like it's eventually going to mash the drone's softer plasticced legs keep doing that. There's a nice gap in the back of the roof which is just the right size for the drone's width so I thought I might've been missing a trick with that so he could fire forwards over his cab, but alas no. Pity the drone couldn't clip to the bed in closed mode.
    I had stored the cannon inside him in vehicle mode but fancied having it on the bed ready for action. Probably safer to keep it inside again so it doesn't get knocked off and lost.
    Ta for the suggestions though.

3. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    if you look at the 1st pic and compare it to the toy you can see i cut the piece off the neck area, it looks like a upside down T doing so enables the neck plate to not lock in place but sit higher and rest on top of the hood plates

Attached Files:

4. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Looking at all of the pics in this thread, it seems almost everybody is mistransforming Ironhide's chest. I'm guessing that is where the floppiness and unsupported head problems are coming from.

Look at the tabs I highlighted in red:

[​IMG]

Those tabs are part of his flip-up chest center thingy. They are supposed to fit inside of the bumpers, not rest in front of them. If you put those tabs inside of the bumpers and use the pegs connected to the front wheels to peg the hood halves to his waist area, it is all very solid. Not a bit of floppiness and his head can no longer fall down because the hood haves are locked very solidly under the head.

I can't post pics until monday, but I suppose y'all get the idea.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  5. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    but i did that, look at my pic closely, mines rock solid, and the neck mod gives his head more clearance and play

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I always lock the chest in like that. I thought it was obvious.
    My problem is always forgetting to pull out the shoulders when going from alt to robot mode so the head unlocks to flip up.
    Seriously - I must've lost an hour or my life through multiple transformations forgetting that step and then wondering why the hell I can't get the head up. :dunce 

• Like Like x 1
  7. closetrat

News Credits:
    Now I feel stupid, I'd slid the bumper halves over the chest peg, but TOTALLY missed the hood halves pegging into the waist - been mad at mine since I got him, 'cause the left side wouldn't stay solid; but all this time it's just been b/c I didn't lock it in place.

Duh...

8. closetrat

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

He just looks so close - and even if they make a brand new voyager mold with movie-accurate front bumper armor, I still won't regret grabbing this one... He's my first Ironhide b/c he looks that much better than the 1st voyager mold, even if he is tiny.

9. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Why in the world is there a hinge that lets his gattling gun on his right arm split open at the middle? Don't believe me? Try it. It allows access to the screw that is mounting the Gattling gun. Why?

10. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:

It is for the Drone that is pegged on the left are to tuck in nicely when transforming Ironhide into Vehicle mode. This is to prevent any loose parts hanging around or awkwardly placed in random parts of the truck.

Peaugh's review had pointed that out. :D 

11. Aigis

Aigis Anti Shadow Weapon TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It's there so you can store the drone inside the truck. Flip that gun open, attach the drone to the left arm, transform to truck mode.

12. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:

Ah. I figured as much. Haven't transformed him back in the config yet. Thanks !

13. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    As much as I love this figure, I can't help but chuckle at the false front bumper. I have no problem with transformation cheats and I find most of them to be quite clever, but the real bumper is sitting right there next to the false bumper, winch, fog lights, and all. I find it humorous.

Awesome toy tho'.

14. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

The problem with this guy is that his arms (shoulder to elbow) and thighs are practically nonexistent, which leaves him very short and strangely proportioned.

I can't tell if Movie Ironhide even has thighs or not (his legs have always been visually incomprehensible to me), but if this toy had some extendable arms and legs, the robot mode would look a LOT better.

It just looks downright stupid when Bumblebee towers over Ironhide, even though they're both Deluxe. A lot of Movie Deluxes (Brawl, Bonecrusher, Soundwave, Dirge), have extremely short thighs, and I don't understand why. For a human it would be like having your knees an inch below your hips.

It irritates me because all those Deluxes I mentioned, including Ironhide are pretty much great figures, except for their shrunken legs, which leave them looking like Cotton Hill.

15. closetrat

News Credits:
    Isn't it an odd point to compare alien, non-organic life-forms to human proportions?

16. Cosbydaf

Cosbydaf Well-Known Member

If it where anything other than Transformers, I'd be inclined to agree, but even in the movies most of the Transformers have very humanoid body structure, pretty much all the Autobots do besides the motorcycle triplets and maybe the twins.

And even besides that, having thighs that short (for a bipedal being) doesn't make sense. It would make walking and running difficult. Unless the robot is built like a gorilla and walks on his knuckles.

But long story short, Deluxe Ironhide needs longer limbs.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I love this little guy. Perfect proportions, great truck mode and the turret isn't half bad, but I would have prefered an arm cannon.

18. closetrat

News Credits:
    Agreed SPLIT LIP, what we need is a tutorial to make one!

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I plan to use a little Star Wars missle launcher I have to make a new one and make it peg in.

20. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I just got him in Tesco the other day He's really cute the only slightly odd thing about him other than the choice of a drone rather than a cannon is that he can't hold Recon Ironhide's weapons terribly well as his hands are a bit to small to take the pegs.

Good figure though - I can't help wishing he was the same size as a crossovers Captain America that would be a good size for the mold.