HfD Highbrow is a movie toy.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Thundershot, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah sure, the title is kinda obvious, but I just got my Highbrow from HTS today, and on the back of his package are the Dreamworks and Paramount logos. I point this out because the logos are NOT on Seaspray, Terradive, Hailstorm, or Tomahawk. What does this mean? Well, it probably means Highbrow can't be used for a club toy, but more important is that the club MAY be able to use the others. Here's hoping!

2. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

A Vehicon repaint/retool of Terradive as Jetstorm would be awesome.

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    My guess is it has to do with the origin of the character. Maybe the robot mode came from some of the concept art made for the ROTF movie - which legally would be owned by Dreamworks/Paramount?

I think toys like Tomahawk and Hailstorm could easily be counted as movie-universe toys themselves, but if the designs weren't taken from the same concept art batch, then Paramount and Dreamworks have no legal rights on them..

I could be totally wrong on this, it's just a hunch! But I remember Depthcharge was taken from concept art, as well as Springer and Blazemaster.

4. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I know I said a while back that yellow box toys don't have the Dreamworks logo, but I noticed that my legends HFTD Longhaul does. Maybe certain names have been trademarked by Dreamworks/Paramount. Interesting to see if Highbrow might be in the third movie. I doubt it, but who knows.

5. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do think it's more the designs are owned by Dreamworks/Paramount, not the names. All of the toys sold under the ROTF line had the logo because, well, it's under the movie line. This time the generic "Transformers" yellow box line can have toys that are movie-like without having to commit anything to the studios. It also goes with Hasbro's new design philosophy in making new characters that can be part of any line.

Does anyone have Axor yet? I'm curious if he has the logo on the back.

6. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I have Axor... I don't recall a logo on his... but I'll have to check again to be sure.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It is one of the odd things about the hybrid figures. With lines getting blurred more and more it's getting harder to peg where a toy belongs.

It is a pretty good question though about how figures get the Dreamworks/Paramount logo or not. With the on screen characters it's easy to figure, but for the off screen characters it's a lot harder since Hasbro seems to be the reason we get the figure at all.

8. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I suspect you're right. It maybe there was concept art for more Seekers that hasn't been leaked yet and Highbrow was one of them.

9. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    Payload doesn't have any Paramount/Dreamworks logos and he's a repaint of Long Haul, who was originally used for RotF.

10. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Really?

That's interesting... I don't own him. I just assumed he had the logos. The mystery deepens...

11. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Probably has something to do with that design originating as fanart.

12. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Yeah..or at least some major design cues. Blazemaster and Springer both originate from the same piece of work, I think, which is still somewhat evident in the face, chest/belly and legs - but where Springer turned into a 'fat' Osprey, they turned Blazemaster into a thinner helicopter.

Now that I think about it, Highbrow's rotor-hands have alot of common with Springer, as well..:)  Quick, somebody find the sketches!
    That's strange, and especially since the new Legends Long Haul DOES have the emblem, as thenatureboywoo said - otherwise I would have suggested the movie (and Hasbro) might have used Josh Nizzi's Long Haul design under license and is not really owned by Dreamworks/Paramount..but that doesn't seem to be the case then.

Does Night Ops Ratchet have the correct licensing? I think he's from the same wave, right? Maybe, since they were the first of the new packaging Hasbro forgot to add proper licensing, until they were 'reminded'?...I have no idea.

13. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good thing I keep the cards...

Ironhide has the logos.
    Hubcap and Brimstone do not.
    Like I said before, Seaspray, Terradive, Hailstorm, and Tomahawk also do not have logos.

EDIT: Just perusing the web:

Blue The Fallen: Logos
    Firetrap: No logos

14. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just a hunch here...

Highbrow is based off a real world vehicle, right?

It seems like the only toys Hasbro makes now that are actually based off real vehicles rather than generic non detail vehicles are all tied back to the movie, movie designs and movie licensing arrangements. (notice that while many of the CHUG vehicles draw inspiration from real vehicles, they never match that closely)

I'm suspicious that any recent Hasbro toy pulled from a real vehicle will have a come out of the movie development process at some point (meaning it may not have been a final used design).

Just a theory.

15. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Unfortunately, Payload throws that theory off. Otherwise it's the most plausible thing we've got...

16. Fast_Draw

Fast_Draw Pretender

News Credits:
    I was just pointing it out. I don't know what the deal is. I do know that the RotF Long Haul does have the logos.

Revenge Of The Fallen Long Haul In Box Images - Transformers News

It's still the same toy; it's just recolored. Maybe you are right about Hasbro having the original license from the artist. Who knows.

17. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That could very well be. Because ALL movie packaged toys will have the logos for obvious reasons, and movie characters will have them. Payload isn't a movie character or a movie original design, so no logos. I wonder Strafe will have the logos. I also wonder what the club will be able to use down the line...

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    AS long as Jazz and Tracks can be used for Fun-Pub/Botcon, I couldn't careless if i got them in a paper bag for all i care.

19. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd love me some club or Botcon Road Rage and Ricochet! Or Jackpot!

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    if Sunspot had no logos, then I doubt Strafe will