Hey Sentinel Maximus! Why the hell are you so expensive?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ORIO, Mar 22, 2010.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been keeping an eye out for an OTFCC Sentinel Maximus. He rarely pops up on ebay and when he does he's usually ridiculously expensive. There are two on ebay right now, one just got listed, the other is for over $300!

From what I can tell this mold was never a popular one because it was such a brick. Why is this guy so rare??

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Despite its brickish nature, that Armada Overload mold was actually one of my favorites from the line (now why did I sell it?). The Ultra Magnus repaint from Energon was nice too.

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I see we share the same bizarre fixation on what is arguably a really bad toy. Someone was selling one in the Junkion last year for $50, and the last cheap one I saw on ebay went for around $80. Both times I was too stubborn to go for it. Otherwise, it's just expensive for rareness' sake, I suppose.

4. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    He's rare because he wasn't even properly available at the convention. Due to the rapid collapse of OTFCC's leadership, Sentinel Maximus wasn't ready in time for the convention. After 3H folded, Hasbro picked up the slack and shipped out the toy to the people who'd ordered it. That's why he's so hard to come by.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it's the drama tax.

6. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In my own honest opinion, he's a great mold! I still remember everyone going nuts thinking it was Armada Ultra Magnus!

THANK YOU. I couldn't factor a reasonable explantion. but that makes sense. I thought they had maybe made a lower production number.

but hell, I want this guy very bad. Ever since FP re-named "Nexus Maximus", "Nexus Prime" I cant help but think this is actually "Sentinel Prime"

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  7. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Production number is questionable... was the full production run done? Or just enough to fill the existing orders? Either way, I think only the ordered number were distributed. So the "extras" that normally would have been sold at the convention were either not made or not distributed.

If you want to think of him as a 'Prime', that's fine... he is the fusion of Apelinq and Primal Prime.

I'm not a big fan of the mold, but possibly adding to it's "sought-after-ness" is the Prime color scheme as well as two remolded heads.

8. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    hahaha... i still have prototype pics on my other computer labeling him as Armada Ultra Magnus!

and yeah, i've always considered him a prime too... go buy more scratchers and get lucky!

9. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just to expand upon this. For OTFCC 2004, 3H didn't have the packaging ready for Sentinel Maximus and all was on display at the con was one in the planned packaging and a promise that they would ship out within a couple weeks after the con. Two weeks turned into a month and nothing had shipped out yet. When 3H had their license pulled, Hasbro took posession of all the Sentinel Maximus toys and with their own money, made up new packaging for it (the original packaging was a window box) and shipped them out to everyone who ordered one.

I wonder what happened to those that weren't sold, since as of the convention they weren't nearly sold out of them? Perhaps they're sitting in a warehouse somewhere in RI?

10. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

I did the search a while back for the ultra magnus version. I decided to just stick with my overload. Both of the repaints look so much cooler though. What I love about that mold is that, apart from arguably being a headmaster, he completely discards the normal interaction between "bulk" and minicon. He's the only two-part transformer with that particular arrangement, that I know of. It's reminiscent of G1 Ultra Magnus, but definitely not the same.

11. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    The color scheme on Sentinel Maximus is brillant. Yes, the toy is a brick, but it's a nice looking brick. :lol 

12. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

I was lucky enough to get this from Ebay relatively cheap, about 125. All I can say is keep looking, took me about a month of constant checking to find him for a good price. But that was about 6 months ago.

I have him in my Wreckers display, and yes, he is a brick. Haha

Good luck!

13. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just want him as a Sentinel Prime to display with Optimus, Vector, Nemesis, Nexus and Leo. Would make a cool pic for the cool stuff thread :) 

Oh well, thanks for clearing that up guys. I'll keep an eye out! If anyone happens to see one pop up in the junkion exchange pm me :) 

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Additionally, which might contribute to the overall cost of the thing, Sentinel Maximus was sent out using an old mailing list rather than the last updated one 3H had used. Consequently a lot of people didn't get theirs, which helped to contribute to the rarity.

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I had no idea what he was worth, and sold mine at Botcon '08 for $75.

16. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    oh nice... thanks for the info... and yeah, i wonder now too if there's more just sitting somewhere... be really nice if Hasbro found them and pulled them out... make them a new HTS exclusive or something... cuz i need him too... which means ORIO and i are in direct competition...

17. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Must be a lot of people signed up after me. I pre-registered late, (only a few weeks before the pre-registration period was over) and I got mine with no issue. Something that could have been a factor is that DHL (who Hasbro used to deliver SM) litterally left the box outside of my apartment. It could be several of them were stolen as well as delivered to the wrong address.

18. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I got mine from MeemaMart a year or two ago for a decent price. If you are patient one will eventually slip through the cracks and into your lap... or go with the lottery ticket suggestion.

19. Blitzwing256

Blitzwing256 Triple changer

wow,I had issues at the con that year and didn't buy any of the toys, but my friend who went bought both and got them, then gave them to me a few months later telling me they sucked (sentinel and black zarack)

they've been shoved in the closet for 5 years unloved, I had no idea anyone even cared about em ;-)

20. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    3H actually hadn't even paid for the toys at that point, it seems. They weren't delivered until well after the show, and 3H made a big deal of showing pictures of the stacks and stacks of the toys in cases and the collapsed boxes to package them...