Hey! My new laptop's mouse pad sucks ass!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mechafire, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I got a brand new Inspiron 1525 for Christmas. And it was a late present.

Anywho, it appears that the mouse pad is unresponsive in the left area of the rectangle pad. I would be rubbing my finger on it all over, and the mouse arrow wouldn't budge.

Has this computer been known to do this? What can I do about it?

EDIT: I think I may have gotten mouse pad confused with touch pad. I really don't know or care what its technical term is.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Are you sure that area of the pad is not partitioned for scrolling?

I don't have the same laptop, but on mine, an area of the pad is reserved for just up and down movement, and another area of the pad is reserved for left and right movement while scrolling.

Just a guess at this point...

3. Mechafire

News Credits:
    Yes, it is NOT in that area. On mine, the scroll areas are the right side, and the bottom side. But I am mostly talking about the right side/middle.

4. Squall42080

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Man, that sucks...

I hate to say it, but I'd call Dell. It'll take you about 2 hours, and you'll go through about 5 representatives that try their best to speak English (I run a call center before anyone jumps down my throat), but they should repair and/or replace the unit.

It shouldn't be a big loss for you now since its new...and you certainly don't want to wait until you start putting files and stuff on there...

5. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

yea best to just call and report a problem while it's still under warrenty and before you put any files on it. i got mine last year and i had already started putting files on the comp when a couple keys totally stopped working, they erased the hard drive. so back-up any files u put on there

6. Squall42080

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Yup...I got an el cheapo Compaq C715 laptop last year for $300 (awesome laptop by the way) and it would freeze randomly. I attributed the problem to Vista, but after calling HP/Compaq tech support we discovered the problem was the little arms holding the RAM in place.

I sent the laptop in to HP, and they tried charging me $300 for the repair (ridiculous) and I had to fight and fight and fight my way through customer service representatives until they finally covered the repair under warranty.

When I got the laptop back they blanked out the HDD...and I had an @$$load of stuff on there...

So do it now...and don't wait! Depending on where it was purchased, you might be able to just exchange it at the store so that you don't have to wait for another one, or wait for it to be repaired. (Most stores give a 14 day exchange policy on high-priced electronics...but usually extend the period after Christmas)

7. Mechafire

News Credits:
    Just got off of my 3+ hour conversation with Dell... in the end, they said to exchange it. I still have no idea what happened... it's almost as if there is a "dead spot" on the touch pad...

8. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Sounds like my last phonecall with Dell. My wife's monitor was busted, and the tech kept trying to get me to either find a second monitor to prove that the computer wasn't broken or blindly walk through start-up routines to get the windows sound.

I had to tell them to escalate to a manager, and once I got there it was taken care of in about 3 minutes.

9. Mastergeorge

Mastergeorge I should burn my wallet.

News Credits:
    Seriously I'm confused.

10. Mechafire

News Credits:
    Now I am having second thoughts if I should just return the laptop and get it at Best Buy instead of Dell...

11. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I have an XPS and it doesn't have that problem. But I also use a wireless mouse more than the touchpad. Sorry to hear about the problem. That bites. Especially as a present. If they need you to return it, I'm sure you'll have a new one back in no time. I am biased now though, cause when I had a problem with my order, Michael Dell called me back and we fixed it. I feel so pampered :p 

12. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It is too bad that happened. All of my computers have been Dells (12 years). My worst experience was last year and spent a total of 12 hours on the phone with Dell over a 3 week period because they sent the wrong part (my dog knocked a key off). The people that I talked to assumed that with my computer I needed a certain part to fix the problem. However, mine is not part of the norm. Since then my computer has been doing very well.

In terms of in your situation, that is entirely up to you if you want to exchange it with Dell or go to Best Buy and get a different one.

13. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I have a Compaq laptop, and on my touch-pad for the mouse, I can just move my finger all over the touch pad and the mouse would go anywhere.

I got mine at Best Buy. They had to order it for me since they didn't have one in stock, and when they got it, Geek Squad looked it over and for some reason it wasn't working, so they order a replacement.

Generally, I would recommend going into Best Buy to get a laptop over ordering one online from somebody like Dell. It's easier to make sure you get what you want, and you can always take your computer to Geek Squad should you have a problem. They're always willing to help.