Hey, any adventure gamers here?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Sslaxx, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Sslaxx

Sslaxx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Getting myself back into the adventure game world after some time, downloaded games like "5 Days a Stranger". Wishing I had the money to buy some of the games like "Blackwell Convergence". And I'm also starting to learn AGS.

So who else here plays classic point-and-click adventure games? Or makes them? Anyone have any recommendations?

2. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

If you can find it, The Dig. It's a sci-fi P&C adventure made by Lucas Arts with the backing of Steven Speilburg.

3. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

For classic Adventure Titles

Lucasarts point and click games (Indy games, Full Throttle, Grim fandango, Monkey island, The Dig, Loom) are all pretty good and classic games

Of Course the Sierra games (police Quest, Space quest, King's Quest, Quest for Glory, Laura Bow series)

Legend of Kyrandia is another serie that's pretty good

4. Sslaxx

Sslaxx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Heh!

Vaguely remember playing a demo of The Dig years back. Mostly played Zork: Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor.

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yeah, Monkey Island, DOTT and Indy4 ftw! :D 
    Beneath a steel sky is nice, but I never had the time to play it :( 

6. Sslaxx

Sslaxx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Played Beneath a Steel Sky, and the first two Broken Sword games too.

7. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    "Sam and Max Hit the Road" is one of the best adventure games ever.

If you're playing 5 Days, don't forget to pick up "6 days a sacrifice", "7 days a skeptic", and "Trillby's notes". While I don't think they're quite as good as the original, they're still pretty excellent and the whole sequence makes for a pretty good tied-together plot line.

If you haven't played "Grim Fandango", you need to. "The Dig" is pretty good, but I felt that it was more impressive for its visuals (which is obviously less of a plus nowadays) than for its puzzles or story. "Day of the Tentacle" and "Full Throttle" are also some of the best the adventure game genre has ever put out.

On the Sierra end of it, there's probably more selections than you can shake a stick at; A mountain of Kings, Space, and Police Quests to choose from, and even a few Quests for Glory should you feel so inclined. I personally loved "Kings Quest VI: Heir today, Gone Tomorrow" the most of the KQ titles, and ALL of the "Space Quest" games are deserving of being checked out.

As far as more modern titles go, I'd HIGHLY recommend hunting down and buying a copy of "The Longest Journey". A REALLY excellent example of the traditional point and click adventure game genre. "Syberia" and "Syberia II" are okay, but they're long on atmosphere and art, short on story and good puzzles.

8. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

May I suggest going to Good Old Games and getting the Tex Murphy games.

Also if you can find them the Lucas Arts games were all great, I'm pretty sure Steam has some of them. The first Monkey Island game jsut got rereleased and upgraded by Lucas Arts a year ago and I think the second one is getting the same treatment this year.

Tell Tale games with the Sam and Max, Monkey Island Tales, and the Wallace and Gromit games are all great fun.

9. fyp

fyp New Member

Don't forget the Gabriel Knight series from Sierra. They are among the best adventure games. Try them if you have not played them before. GOG.com have the entire trilogy up.

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dagger an I were born of the same amoeba eons ago.

11. DaggersRage

I'd like to make mix it up in here, but the more I think about, I would encourage checking out Heavy Rain for the PS3. When I was playing through that game, I was thinking about it and it's the modern equivilant to those classic P&C games. Indigo Prophecy aka Farenheight (same creators of Heavy Rain) works as well.

Also to pick out some titles from the last decade, I know these existed around when the orignal Xbox was around. I never got to play the games though, but the titles I have a Journey Through Time, Siberia 1 and Siberia 2. I wish I knew what Journey Through Time was about but I know that Gabe from Penny Arcade was estatic about it and wouldnt shut up about it for some time. As for Siberia and it's prequel, I actually heard this over X-play (dont roll your eyes yet :p  ) and both titlse where highly praised with little to no snarky comments. I know that Siberia is basically about a quest to search for the last of the woolly mammoths. I recall hearing praise that the puzzles in the game where logical.

I regret missing out on those titles and having a bitch of a time finding them.

12. Sslaxx

Sslaxx Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Anyone else here also a member of the AGS forums? There's been a couple of "Doctor Who" fangames, surprised nobody's tried to make a Transformers one.

13. DaggersRage

Not to bash on the idea, but Transformers wouldnt be all that great to fit into the adventure catagory. Transformers is about good guy robots fighting bad guy robots that turn into cars, jets, and animals, oh my! It belongs to action catagory.

Now action/adventure is a different story! :D