Non-TF: He's a really useful engine, you know...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by VectorPrime404, Feb 23, 2011.

1. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Behold, the evolution of my Railway-series style Thomas the Tank Engine. I started with a stock Hornby model and have been working on improving it. STraightened the running plate at the back, painted the surface of the plate flat black, modified the whistle, added handrails to the smokebox, replaced the funnel with a closer one, added a handbrake to the cab details, fitted scale couplings and sprung buffers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Getting close to done with this guy now. I also have a book-accurate Annie and Clarabel (in the books, they were seven-section coaches that sat on bogie wheels) to go with him, they're also nearly done.

Attached Files:

2. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pretty nice and accurate, I am yet to see someone attempt to straighten his front footplate to match his appearance following the time he visited the stationmaster's house for breakfast though.

3. Wars

Wars Regular At Swerve's™

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    :lol 

I loved that episode as a kid. Thomas the Tank Engine always brings back good memories for me. A very nice custom, very accurate. Well done!

4. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    Could you explain a bit for those of less familiar?

5. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

About the episode or about the model?

6. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thomas the tank engine was a popular character in a series of books called 'The Railway Series' and in more recent times has been populised even further through a television series bearing his name.

Thomas the Tank engine is based on an actual railway engine class known as a LB&SCR E2 LB&SCR E2 Class it had a stooped running plate at the front and behind in order to shunt trucks and coaches more effectively. The illustrations in the book deviated from this with Thomas only having the curved drop at the front rather than at the back (the tv series model emulates this causing problems with rolling stock (as it's called)

Wilbert Awdry annoyed by this wrote a story to correct this error called 'Thomas Comes to Breakfast' in which the engine had an accident which required Thomas' front buffer beam to be fixed due to being badly twisted. Following this incident Thomas has had a flat chassis that runs the length of the engine unlike the TV version which has kept his original appearance.

Televised version below (really shows up the quality of Thomas and Friends in recent years):
    YouTube - Thomas Comes To Breakfast

7. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

Wait, that show had canon?! :eek: 
    Anyways, great job on this! I'd scale down the "1" on his sides slightly, but other than that he's just how I remember him. :thumb 

8. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It really did, the railway series was/is a series of books and one follows on from the previous one set on the Island of Sodor (a small island located off the coast of England between Barrow and The Island of Mann.) The island is the reason steam engines still run since the second fat controller (Charles Hatt, Sir Topham Hatt is a title that's passed down from father to son) decided to ignore British Railway's policy of Dieselisation electing to keep on the Island's resident steam engines.

It did get quite dark at times, despite what the TV series shows. (dark as in threat of death) It's a shame really but canon is all but gone from the tv series.

I'm liking this model each time I look at it, the sprung buffers are a nice touch.

9. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Thank you Storm. And yeah, you're right about the show. What it is now does not belong on PBS anymore than Transformers does.

10. JaZzMan26

JaZzMan26 Well-Known Member

I want to do a combiner transformer version of this for my youngest boy...I've seen others do it and they look great.

11. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Kindly never bring those up again.

12. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    I'm very familiar with Thomas, I just wasn't sure what the modifications were that you did to the model. I guess I was a bit tired when i looked at this thread, because I didn't notice that you did indeed completly explain in the first post.
    I did not know about the controversy over Thomas' design. That's rather interesting.

13. Nickleby

Nickleby Autobot

Awesome. I was a huge Thomas fan as a kid. :) 

14. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Thanks.