Heroes Cave: Chapter 1 - The Horde

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Hero, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Hero

Hero Well-Known Member

Hi Guys - been lurking the boards for a year now and finally thought to start a post.

I thought i'd start a series to chart the progression of my collection and this will be the first step. Not yet enough material for a full video series but i wanted to capture the awe and the feeling as my collection grows. Something for me to go back to a few years down the road....

So this is the start. After a year of collecting, i've gotten to this point. Unfortunately, i don't have the space to display these wonderful works of engineering just yet. Not until we finish the house we're trying to build anyway, (which is the whole reason for this memory catalog). Still have a few years left.

Since my wife basically has given me at least 1/4 of my collection, it's fair to say that this treasure throve will continue to grow. I started, like everyone else, focused on TT. But i learned soon enough that if i relied on them, I'd be renting space in the dirt lot before i managed to complete my set. God bless you, third parties and high quality KO's. (My wife jokes that she helps coz it'll be our retirement fund if and when things get tight....lol)

As you can see, i'm really close to finishing off G1 and like the rest of you, eagerly awaiting the release of the other movie bots and combiners.

I find the opinions of the guys here (as well as cornerstone reviewers like Bobby S, Emgo, Peaugh and Ben) immensely help me make extremely well informed decisions. I honestly don't think my collection would be as streamlined and selective as it is if it weren't for all the help. Can't thank everyone enough.

Thanks again for a having a read guys. More to come.....

(anyone feel like playing a "Where's waldo" game with the wall of plastic crack below?...LOL)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. dmarsee

dmarsee Minibot Action

Wow!!

3. Nighthawkblack

Nighthawkblack Well-Known Member

Great thread. Like the sentiment and the detail. Nice start to your collection, even nicer that your wife is somewhat on board. Kind of sounds like my family's current story sub in my wife allows my collection rather than adds to it. Best of luck with collection and the house.

4. Hero

Hero Well-Known Member

Thanks Dmarsee. Never thought about it until i lined them all up on a wall.

By then i was like..."wow"....followed by "good god did i really spend that much???" and finally ending with..."I don't care...gimme more of the plastic crack." LOL

5. Hero

Hero Well-Known Member

Thanks Nighthawk.....A day doesn't pass by when i don't wonder what i did right in my past life to have my better half add on rather than just allow for the hobby....

of course....makes me twinge every time she jokes about "liquidating" them...hahaha....

Next step is the story for a few of these guys.....It really helps keep the feeling fresh in your mind when you write it down. =)

6. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bit confused.. are you collecting figures or just boxes?;) 
    Just kidding.
    I don't know how you do it, I couldn't have my collection sitting in boxes, I need them out and on display. I still have all the boxes up in the top of the wardrobe, but the figures are out and proud.

It can be challenging working out how to display as well. I started off with my (then small) MP collection on a shelf in my office at work. Changed jobs, no longer had my own office, so they came home. Lived on a long narrow shelf in my Man-Cave/Shed until that flooded and I worried they'd get destroyed. So I moved them into my study on a book case, but that room turned into the nursery and my daughter needed the bookcase. My collection is now packed tightly into two shelves above my desk and has spread across the desk as well (to the point I can no longer use it) while I re-arrange my new, smaller study to fit a couple of bookcases in.
    Hopefully you have a nice plan on how to display in the new house? My advice is to work out how much space you'll need, then double it. These suckers take up a lot of space.
    Also jealous that the wife is onboard with your collection. Mine barely tolerates them and I've basically had to make a stand a couple of times to even get the collection a place in the house. I suspect that the day after I die, my collection will be on the curb waiting for garbage day. Thinking of re-writing my will so that Optimus Prime inherits everything!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Beautiful collection - but it's hurting my "soul" a bit seeing transformers MISB.

I am partially a MISB person myself - I used to be strictly MISB at one point.

However Transformers in particular are an extremely different kind of beast, versus those other types of figures that are static and/or have window displays so you can see the figure inside the box; you never know what kind of QC mess or nightmare is hiding inside those boxes.

Are you collecting them and keeping them like that to "sell later in the future," hand them down, etc? If that person ever inspects the contents, you may find out the figure has been broken for years.

Anyway! Long winded "rant" on a post you were pretty proud of. Still an amazing collection!

8. Hero

Hero Well-Known Member

HAHAHA....Stargander....you wouldn't believe how many times i got the same question when friends come over.....they were like "This is sacrilege!!!!Cmon dude...pop the lid..".. Almost expected the scene in 300 to be re-enacted with me being the guy that gets kicked into the pit..LOL....

I get the itch to mess around with them at least once a week.....sometimes i give in....most times...like 90% of the time i just say "soon....real soon...." and that gives me the motivation i need to get the funds for the house......i even have a layout planned already...it'll sit in glass shelves...with probably 3 different heights....the MAS01 and Omega are gonna take up a lot of space....LOL

Speaking of house space.....that's the one thing i told my wife when we were planning out the house....All i ask is a man cave.....the entire house...that's your Girl cave right there....well....a man cave and the garage...hahaha

Thanks for the advise....i got some good measurements when i brought the boxes out...i'll just double the room size.....lord knows this hobby evolves and grows just when you think your done....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hero

Hero Well-Known Member

Awww...thanks Honesty. I'll take that as a complement...the MISB part at least....

These guys aren't MISB....Got a bit of an OCD in me so i actually bought some sealing film and a sealing machine.

As soon as i buy one, i mess around with it for a day or so, put their logos on if they don't have it and then take a few shots. Then i seal em in....sometimes when the call of the plastic becomes too unbearable, i take em out and then just re-seal em. Luckily, that hasn't happened to often. (except with Phoenix and Grider X.....dang those guys are super sweet.....3x i tell ya....LOL)....

These guys are keepers. It took me 30 years to buy Prime and i wanted him since i was 8..(yep...that long and that old..hahaha). he was the first and he won't be the last.....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    You're a much more patient man than I. Love the cabinets you have picked out.
    My favorite collection on these boards is @Turbine027 - I love how he has the original G1 toy and the new MP lined up on the shelves.
    My dream would be to have an entire room with cube shelves - a separate "cube" for each character - original G1 toy's in both alt and bot and the MP in alt and bot.
    Four toy's of each or six for triple changers!! (combiners make my head and wallet hurt.) If I was really crazy, have cheap android tablets in each cube showing loops of "character episodes" from the toon... that's my MP "museum" dream!
    If I ever win the lottery, I am going to waste so much money on toys!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hero

Hero Well-Known Member

Thanks stargander. I've seen a few post
    From turbine before but have'nt really gotten in deep with his set up. Great refferal. Think i'll take a look at a few of his layout. It can only add on and enhance my ideas. I'll reach out to him.

Man i love your android tablet dream. Never even thought of that. Not like we have extra funds though. Lol. Any funds we get that aint lottery winnings go to the plastic gods.

If you ever win the big one and get to live the dream, i'd love to see how your layout works out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Turbine027

Turbine027 Boys or Toys? BOTH!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My collection heard it's name :lol 

IMG_2435.JPG

13. Hero

Hero Well-Known Member

Sweet mother of.....oh gawd...that is sweet turbine....no wonder star like it. Nice, clean, organized look...

That center piece is a great idea. It'll make TG and MAS01 really pop.

Hope you don't mind if i pick up a few points from your layout.

Side note: my wife just gave your layout a thumbs up. Two actually. LOL.

And shes even more of an OCD type than me. A scheme that i can aspire for.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Starganderfish

News Credits:
    LOL. I showed my wife the same collection and she just snorted and said "not f'ing likely"

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hero

Hero Well-Known Member

HAHAHA. That one liner basically shot down any response you can come up with.

Only time i ever got that dour look that basically said the same thing was when she asked me to get in shape and i responded with "but i am in shape....round is a shape, right...?".

Goos thing this addiction started last year otherwise i might have gotten the same reply. Haha

16. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

Can you build me a house to keep all my transformers in too?

And don't forget an extra room for all the damn boxes :) 

17. Hero

Hero Well-Known Member

Uhm....i can build you a house made out of the transformer boxes, if that helps...

Actually, with all the movie bots comin out soon, we may actually have to use that idea for our house....

• Like Like x 1