Hero deficit: Comic books in decline

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Primal, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Yet another article from The Toronto Star

I haven't finished reading the print article yet but here are some snipets

You can read more here.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Hmn, interesting but I don't think it's "worrying". Firstly the genre really kicked off in the 30's and 40's and the world was a much, much different place back then, all the issues mentioned are legacy from those days.

As for Wonder-Woman and other female leads; Get some fucking decent writing talent on them. So far the only guy I've read recently who can even begin to handle writing a decent female lead is Joss Whedon but his comics career is a definite sideline to his TV and movie stuff. The writer on the latest Wonder Woman is pretty ok, the first issue was pretty neat, but I'm not sure how wise it is to fall back on the "abused wives" crutch as a platform for a "female" comic. It's somewhat cliched, obvious and a cheap stunt IMO. However it was written well, and the artist did a reasonably good job, the cheesecake factor was way down. I'm middling. Better than Heinberg's 4 issues for sure, but I do miss the Dodsons art.

Again, with the whole racial diversity... get some decent talent on the books. Then they will sell.

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    QFMFT

good art, good writing = good sales....