Here's an idea...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transtrekkie, Jul 14, 2009.

1. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

When Mattel reissued their Masters of the Universe toys a few years ago, they actually had to buy original MISB specimens of the toys and recasted molds from those toys so that they could produce them again. If Takara/Hasbro wants to reissue the remaining G1 Autobots (Mirage, Sunstreaker, Wheeljack, etc...) they could do the same thing. Sure it would be initially expensive given what those toys go for in that condition, but the profits they could make off of them would far mitigate the cost.

I know I'd by reissues of those figs, what do you guys think?

2. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's how the KO companies do it right? So, it wouldn't surprise me.

Just a matter if Hasbro wants to do it or not.

3. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    I don't really like Reissues. If I wanted the G1 toys, I'd time travel. Hasbro and Takara do too much tampering with the fig to change it from the original

4. Alex5

Alex5 No Broken

I hope we get to see the supposed 'lost mold' guys again. I can't afford MISB G1 stuff but I still want a chance to own pristine boxed examples of those figures I remember seeing on toystore shelves as a child.

If Bruticus' Encore version has a pointy nose Blast Off, and what with Rmble & Frenzy just being announced as Encore 19, seems they are fixing / recasting some of the damaged / degraded molds... other missing figures are just a licensing deal away, the longer the franchise lives, the more likely I feel these things become. We've certainly had a few nice surprises in the Encore line so far, just gives me the impression seeing G1 line eventually rounded out in reissue form matters to someone there. Maybe I kid myself :) 

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    It seems like it would benefit everyone.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's just speculation, since no one has a clear idea how much it adds to the cost of a toy to make it from a rebuilt mold, how many units of each figure would need to be sold to cover that cost and the potential market for each figure. Especially if Takara has to raise the price to cover the cost of reverse-engineering a mold and the inevitable "OMG they raised the price rip-off rraping my childhood I'm not buying this!" starts up.

7. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Not really. Molds can be made fairly cheaply. I myself have casted molds of Laserbeak's head/neck and moviebee's driver's side door and the materials used for it are pretty cheap as is the plastic. I have the 'bots in question and could mold all of their parts, but I have neither the time nor the space to do it (I do have the materials as stated above). Given what the Japanese reissues go for, even in the Encore line the regular price for them would definately mitigate the expendature. At least for the basic materials. The cost in question that would need to be mitigated would be the cost of purchasing original sealed specimens, but they would only have to do that once per figure and even that wouldn't add a lot to the overal cost of the toy.

Besides, Mattel did it with MOTU and proved that it can be successful even in limited/exclusive releases.

8. Jefrey8395

Jefrey8395 Mr.COG

Hey scan didn't i just post this up?

9. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I'd buy them.