Here's An Idea: Hasbro Should Create Star Wars Figures In The Sigma 6 Style.

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by GrimlockAutobot, Feb 19, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I think this would be awesome. Hasbro should make SW figures in the same style and scale as GI Joe Sigma 6.

Hasbro are you listening?

What do you all think? Could they pull it off? Would they sell? Is there anywhere to give Hasbro feedback on this? Do you have anything else you want to add?

THANKS to anyone who posts!!

2. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

Sounds cool, but I always like crossover type things.

I'm still hoping for G.I.Joe in Galactic Heroes/Robot Heroes style. Why did they do Star Wars transformers when G.I.Joe Transformers would've made more sense?!

Anywho, I know I'd buy a few. They'd probably look kinda like those large Force Battler figs as far as design, but S6 didn't do so well, so I think it may be a while before they pull the Xevoz design back out of the bag of tricks.

Clone troopers would be kitbash fodder for years to come too. Thinking of that, now I want em.

3. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Plus, they might have more appeal because IMHO Star Wars has a bigger following than GI Joe.

Could you imagine a Sigma 6 style Darth Vader with cloth cape and removeable helmet ala S6 Cobra Commander?

Or how about a S6-style Chewbacca? That would be cool.

4. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Hell yes!!! but nothing like force battlers ( yeuch! )

5. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    They did this, it was called Force Battlers, it sucked.

[​IMG]

6. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

S6 style to match the Clone Wars cartoons and I'd consider getting some.

7. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    The Genndy Tartokovsky Clone Wars, yes.

The George Lucas, I have a giant hard-on for CG animation, despite how many Emmys(ies?) Genndy's micro-series won Clone Wars, no thanks. (I'll still watch it, but the Tartokovsky show was faaaaaaar superior, IMHO.)

I was hoping for more of the 3.75" Clone Wars Animated figures (as impossible as my V1 Anakin was to stand!), but those hopes were dashed when the new series was announced as not continuing from the Micro-Series. :cry 

I love Sigmas. I love Star Wars. Marrying them would be awesome. :thumb 

8. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

George Lucas needs to make a good post OT movie before I'd worry about more merchandise. They have a hard enough time moving Star Wars merchandise as it is.

9. Night Flame

It's always a good idea to make up your mind about something before you've seen it. If I remember correctly, most people freaked about the way the original Clone Wars cartoon looked. Most of them have changed their mind after watching it.

Not that I think the new one will be superior, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those had no where near the superior articulation of Sigma 6.

11. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    The S6 style fits both Clone Wars looks, I think that would be a good direction. For the line to be profitable though they would need to scale the size down a bit. One of the main things about Star Wars has been the Ships. I don't see s S6 size Jedi Star Fighter being made.

12. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Surely, you can't be serious.

People can rag on the prequels all they want, but to say that Hasbro hasn't sold the shit out of Star Wars toys over the last 10+ years is ridiculous. It's been at or near the #1 action-figure line every year.

Where it goes long term post-ROTS is up for debate, as the pattern has been a massive spike in movie years and slight dropoff before the next movie/spike. The only valid comparison one can make to where the line currently stands is to post-ROTJ, and two years after that, the line was in its death throes. But two years after ROTS and things are chugging along just fine. With no next movie movie (upcoming Clone Wars theatrical 'movie' aside), they're relying on two TV shows to keep the property near the top. And it'll probably work just fine as the SW fanbase pretty much dwarfs all the others. They may not get that huge spike again, but it ain't falling far from the top for some time either.

As far as S6 style SW figs. If they were done in the animated style I could see it working. General internet fan reaction to the upcoming 3 3/4" animated line seems to be pretty negative...which probably means it'll be a huge success with the target market. Larger scale figs with more goodies would probably do well, too...as a tangential line, not a replacement.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  13. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    As am I, if you'd read.

I hate, hate, hate, hate computer animation with a passion. Especially when it replaces traditional, 2-D, handdrawn animation. I'll more than likely end up loving the series, but it will never be as good as it could have been, had it been 2-D animated - IMO.

I'm not damning it before I see it. CGI is not my taste, why should I think my taste will be changed, just because of the subject matter? If you hate onions, and you've eaten more than you wish you'd had, will there be an onion somewhere in some time that will make you suddenly like them? Chances are, no.

14. Night Flame

I read what you wrote, and I'm not expecting you to change your personal tastes. I'm just saying damning something based on the tools used to create it is usually a good way to end up looking a little foolish down the road, like all those folks who said the original Clone Wars cartoons were such a radical departure from the Star Wars movies that there's no way they could work.

15. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    I guess I never heard anyone talk about the first, then. I'm a huge Samurai Jack fan, and I was ecstatic to hear he'd be doing SW toons. I'm glad I didn't have to hear all the little fanboy b*tch*ng about Genndy's animation, like all the anti-Teen Titans people who keep saying that TFAnimated has "destroyed the franchise" (as if Michael Bay did so much good for it).

And, again, you're still saying that I'm judging it before I've seen it. I'm not.* And, I keep hearing an implication on how this show is going to change my mind about CG animation. It won't. I don't care how textured Yoda's eyeball is. It's too much. Then, you've got the crayon-drawings of shows like Ed, Edd & Eddy. Where's the happy medium? Where's the talent and love? There's no talent in crap like E,E&E, and there's no love in CG. Anyone can be a good artist if the computer's doing all the work for them. Not so when you use...oh, I don't know...your hands? Either you suck, or you're great. There's no cheating there, like there is with computers. It's lazy, I don't care how layered the backgrounds are.

And, like I said, Lucas is so gung ho for CG, he's letting it become the story, rather than worry about writing a good one (which is why so many people hate the prequels - I am not one of them, by the way). By Episode III, he maybe built one set, and didn't even bother making one, lousy set of armor for the Clone Troopers. No, he had Temuera Morrison and Bodie Taylor wear blue suits, making them floating heads. How unbelievably lazy!? And, I don't care how advanced CG gets, it will never look as good as a real, physical object!

*I'm looking forward to the new show. I know I'll love it (not damning or judging it negatively). I love that Frank Oz is doing Yoda's voice, instead of the guy who did it in the first toon. But I will never prefer CG over 2-D. Ever. It has nothing to do with "the tools".

And, the slap in the face that Lucas gave Genndy, by not letting him continue his Emmy-award-winning series (I could see him wanting to take the reigns back, if Tartakovsky's show bombed)...that's a whole other reason why this won't be as good (in my opinion - which, last I checked, I was allowed to have, seeing as how no one's opinions are fact, hence, cannot be right or wrong)...

If anything, you should be reprimanding me for saying that I'm going to love the show before having seen it... :banghead: 

16. Night Flame

You're certainly allowed to have an opinion, but it would be nice if you could sort out what that opinion is. In one breath you say this show won't be good, and in the next you say you're going to love it.

I'm bowing out. I'm not trying to tell you your opinion. My mild chiding was because you came right out and said the show won't be good simply because it's CG. I won't make projections about what I'll think of a show until I've seen it, and it amuses me the number of people who are willing to throw out an opinion about a new show without seeing so much as thirty seconds of it.

17. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I wish onions were as articulated as S6 figs.

18. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    I don't hate computer animation BUT I like 2-d animation better

19. TENIME_art

Ebay:
    Well, just because I love something, doesn't mean that I love it more than another. I may end up loving it, but because it's CG animated, I will never love it as much as, let alone more than, the 2-D Clone Wars.

One can love something, while still wishing it were better or more to their liking. Revenge of The Sith is my favorite SW movie. Does that mean I can't see a huge problem with the overuse of CG, especially in terms of sets & costumes? I either have to love something completely, or hate it? There's no grey area when it comes to opinions?

I love ya, NF (still got your quote in my sig), but you're not making much sense...

20. Night Flame

I may not be making sense because you began your first comment with a statement on how complete and utter crap the new series will be just because it's CGI. I have a hard time swallowing arguments that are based on what tools were used instead of the actual quality of the product.

But, as I said, I'm bowing out because I'm quite certain I'm wrong. As that's the only acceptable solution to any online disagreement, you win, I lose, and now I'll go cry myself to sleep.

Or, like, you know, forget about it or something.