Customs: Here's a question that the Radicons can help me with.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Star Sabre James, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

First off if this is in the wrong section, then mods please move it to where it needs to be.

Here's the story.

A week ago my 9-year-old nephew and I were talking on the way to his house from the park. He was telling me how he wished that his broken Transformers were fixed. I told him that maybe he could use the parts off the broken Transformers to make brand new Transformers. He was totally shocked by this: he never imagined that he could do this. The rest of the way home he was telling me about ideas of what to make.

Now here's where I need your help. His Birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and I was wondering what to get him. Then it hit me: I can give him some of the tools he'd need to make new Transformers. I'm not a Radicon, so I was wondering what tools would a young Radicon need to make his own Transformers? If you all could come up with ideas of stuff to give him I'd be grateful for your help. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

9 years old might be a bit young to do what he needs to do to fix his transformer and not end up hurting himself in the process.

but I think some guys on here with kids that age could better answer the question

3. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Dremels, xacto knives, and probably even super-glue aren't such a hot idea, but I'd suggest:

Sculpey of various kinds (At least one bendy-kit) He'll need parental help to cure it, but kids love playing with clay.

Acrylic paint (He can start with the craft-store 90 cents a bottle stuff), non-toxic and easy clean-up

Some halfway decent brushes.

In the craft section of most stores they usually have all kinds of small baggies with various-sized dowels, I'd get him some small round and square ones. Wood isn't usually a great toy-material (Though I've occasionally used it), but he'd be able to glue it with white-glue. He can use these to provide the skeleton-shapes for whatever he wants to sculpt in the clay.

If his parents are good with it, you might even get him some small screw drivers, kids love taking stuff apart, and he might be able to do some re-building with some parts-swapping (show him how to switch ball-and-socket joints between figs too)

I started kitbashing about his age, and some of my early work was even pretty OK. Paint goes a LONG way. He'll probably have a blast molding some new heads and guns and whatever with the clay as well.

That'd be my kid-friendly radicon-Jr shopping list, but Mom & Dad should have the opportunity to veto anything they don't want to deal with before you give it to him ;) 

D/L

4. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

it depends on the child i started when i was 8 had an xacto at 9 or 10 BUT some kids are not ready for the responsibility. no sure what my parents were thinking but i would not let my son touch most of my tools he is 8. i do let him build models and paint them only with my supervision though

with that said maybe paint markers and some acrylic paint some kind of putty i recommend aves apoxie sculpt because its non toxic and it works. also some small nippers they are cutting pliers with the head shaped like a pigs hoof. hope that helps

5. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    crazy glue,paint,wirecutters. its what i stated with. they work pretty good for a begginer. wouldnt sugest a dremel or anything that powerful.

6. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

Just a quick thought but screw drivers of various sizes might be good for a nine year old. After all, you need to be able to take the bots apart some how.

Hope that helps.

7. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

... 9 is kinda young.. especially with using tools like dremels, knives, glue, etc... wow i cant believe i just said that haha, anyway, ya, but wat everyone else said is good.. just watch him.. haha.

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd say become a Radicon yourself by helping your son tackle a [small] project of his (or your) chosing. Use the more advanced tools, but totally supervise the process. I used things like superglue when I was that age, but I wasn't unsupervised. Some paints would be the primary material I'd think you'd want to get. I'd also say it depends on the project too. :) 

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    you could also read the tutorial on customizer's tools :p