Customs: here we go again...

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by OMEGAPRIME1983, Mar 21, 2009.

1. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, so we all remember when the great mess that is MP Megtron came out, right? The "cosmic rust" incident hit, all paniced, but it was quikly resolved by our resident radicons.... or so we thought.I followed the crowd, and clear coated my Meg's feet only, didt particularly care about the arm pieces, which I now regret. Any make a short story shorter, the clear cloated feet, yea, they re-rusted, even WITH a good clear coat. I just spent 20 minutes removing the old clear. Did I do something wrong with the clear?? Should that of happened? Did this occur with any one elses megs? I used tamyia's gloss clear coat and I brushed it on. I'd love some feed back. Thanks much in advance!

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    did you clean the feet up super well before you coated it?

3. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    It's not rust. I know most use that as a term only but I feel it's totally misleading. It's nothing more than the metal tarnishing (think brass instrument) which actually cleans up rather easily. Heck, I wipe mine off with my fingers about once a year and that's it. I'd actually recommend some precious metal cleaner or brass instrument cleaner/shiner over clear coating. That paint isn't going to last forever/will chip. You'll probably have to touch it just as much by shining it as you would repainting it.

4. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Redline: yea, I did clean it actually, because it was beginning to tarnish so I too some "wright's silver cream" and cleaned the feet up. Then I cleared it. Maybe I just didn't clear it enough?? Idk

Death333: yea, I know it isn't really rust, its just what it started being called through the community so that's where I went with it. I'm a proper freak too, so the correction is appreciated (no offence if you aren't). As stated above I used wright's silver cream to clean it up. Still in the process of trying to figure out how to clean then "spinal" part and where the connection spans megs back.

Possible solution??? I removed the tamiya clear with the silver cream. Once I got as much of the old clear off, I taped off the plastic parts of the feet and sprayed the metal pieces with testor's model masters lacqure gloss clear. Maybe, just maybe that will help. I'm thinking that because I didn't clear the metal entirely that might be why I got more tarnishing. Maybe now that I cleared all the metal, it won't happen any more. Any tips as to how I can get get those other pieces off so I can clean 'em?? Maybe some rubbing alcohol?? Ill try it I suppose and let ya'll know what happens if your interested.

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok, so rubbing alcohol = failure with tarnished megatrons... Just thought I'd share that with everyone

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Does sunlight have anything to do with this? I keep my collection in a walk-in closet where there's no exposure to sun and, quite surprisingly, dust. The door also remains closed most of the time.