Heavy/Scratch: Hercules "Rage Upgrade" Elbows

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by echotransformer, Aug 20, 2012.

1. ryanlb

ryanlb Well-Known Member

And now that I've been fiddling around with the pieces some:

The back cover for Exgraver might be my favorite part. I love that covers the giant gaping hole, AND that it stabilizes the treads. Thanks! it needed that so much!

The fist covers for Exgraver are also very nice.

The cab covers look great, though their fit is very loose, I'm going to have to thicken the pegs up a lot, or else glue them in place (how have they been for others?). Or am I supposed to glue them in place?

It appears to me that I have all the correct pieces. I thought for a bit that I was missing one of the elbow pieces, but I checked the individual elbow kit and realized they weren't symmetrical pieces. I also almost thought the crane lock wasn't there, then I remembered it was supposed to be attached to another piece, and there it was.

I'm watching echo's paint videos right now. HOpefully I can hit hobby lobby in the next week or so to get some paint.

2. Mirage775

Mirage775 Autobot

Ebay:
    I just glued my cab covers on, as they were loose as well. If you can't find the paint colors you need, just lemme know, I have 2-3 hobby stores around me, other than Hobby Lobby. :) 

3. ryanlb

ryanlb Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'll let you know.

I found the Testors white, yellow and gold at Walmart last night, for the green, I've got a Hobby Lobby that I've only been in once, and I didn't eve pay attention to what paint they had because I didn't need any at the time - I should have picked up the sticky paint sticks then though, I knew I was going to need them. And a HobbyTownUSA that carries Tamiaya, though not a big selection, so they may not have the correct green.

I don't even know what i need for the purple paint yet.

But I washed the pieces last night, and I figured I would use my Gundam markers for the black, silver and gray parts. I'll probably start messing with it tonight.

4. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

Yeah, the cab covers are a bit loose on mine too, I think the polish does that...I just thickened them with CA.

That Tamiya green is very important for the match. And no need to prime, provided the parts are clean the white gives the best result!

Are you going to try the purple?

Great to see your project evolve...

5. ryanlb

ryanlb Well-Known Member

Yes, I'll probably go for some purple as well. Maybe. I'm seeing pics of silver on the wing extensions, and it's looking nice, and would be easier.

I'll be working on the green first, for sure. But the hobby shops are 30 minutes out of my way, except every couple weeks when I go hang out with my cousin. It'll be about a week before I'm up there again, to try to get the paints.

If I can tear myself away from Saints Row the Third I'll paint the silver and black, but it didn't work tonight. :D 

6. logan OO1

logan OO1 Well-Known Member

Had mine come about a week or so ago. Just took the stuff out to have a look and one of the elbow pieces is broken =( what are shapeways like at replacing bust stuff?

7. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Contact them.

8. JoeHavok

JoeHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm a bit of a procrastinator ocassionally, and never really painted any parts before. But, I've had these cool parts from echo and shapeways for several months and decided it was time. They look awesome. Maybe not the best pic, but I wanted to share.

[​IMG]

9. echotransformer

^^ Fantastic! Great job painting it up, man that CD gun is HUGE, thanks for sharing Joe!

10. mikeflosi

mikeflosi Well-Known Member

I received my Echo Herc V5 Original Kit today. But they sent me two left legs (the top half) and two left elbows? Is this common? By the way it's a great set, just can't do much with it at this point. Any recommendations?

11. echotransformer

Sorry to hear that, Mike--contact Shapeways customer service, they are usually very responsive when they make a mistake with an order...

12. MPcollector

MPcollector Well-Known Member

Anyone willing to mix me some green paint for this guy?

13. echotransformer

14. Joevette8

Joevette8 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can i ask you a general question?

When do you recommend using Acrylics vs Enamels?

15. echotransformer

^^ Acryllics are much easier to mix, clean and paint with...easier to apply in thin coats, and very durable when dry. They bond well to the Shapeways resin, also (again, when used in thin coats and provided the parts have been gently washed with dish soap and well rinsed/dryed)

16. Joevette8

News Credits:
    thanks!

17. G.I.EDDIE

G.I.EDDIE Purple treads suck!

News Credits:
    Something to note about acrylic vs enamal paint. Acrylic can be used on any plastic. Enamal can NOT be used on soft rubberier plastic such as GIJOEs. The paint reacts with the plastic and has a tacky feeling forever. Though you can lay down a base coat of acrylic and paint enamal over it. The harder plastics of TFs have no issues with enamal paints. I learned this lesson the hard way years ago.

18. Joevette8

News Credits:
    Cool, I've heard that before. So with tf is the benefit to acrylic just that its easier to work with? It chips easier right, I bought a bunch of enamels to use in my airbrush but since I don't have proper ventilation I haven't tried them yet. I've only used them with my brushes so far.

19. Hellscream85

Hellscream85 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't really call one superior over the other, just based on your preferences and overall skillset, I've used both myself and much prefer acrylics, especially on shapeways, also even though most prefer the airbrush nowadays, in my experience good old-fashioned bristle brushes work best on shapeways material, just clean up those pieces with soap water and a toothbrush (a toothpick as well if you're working with a piece with deep cavities in the design) and apply about 4 coats of paint (seems like a lot, but if you aren't a fan of the grainy texture an extra coat or two of paint can go a VERY long way towards cleaning that up)

20. Joevette8

News Credits:
    yeah they do look like they are great for the shapeways pieces, looks to absorb better. I'll have to get some more acrylic as i've thought about ordering this set along with the metal hips. A question on those for anyone who has them to they help with the front to back stability a lot or is mostly for the splits or both?