Herbie: Fully Loaded

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Insane Galvatron, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I watched all the original Herbie movies as a kid and loved 'em. I was really put off on seeing this one because of Lindsey Lohan, which is why I just now watched it.

Despite my feeling about the movies co-star, I actually quite enjoyed this movie. It was fun and entertaining. Glad I watched it now.

2. LoungeLizard

LoungeLizard Insert clever title here.

Ebay:
    I was a fan of herbie as a kid, but so far havent been able to bring myself to watch the new one.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah loved the old disney movies. how can you not love a suicidal volkswagon.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    So I just watched that Herbie remake last night (the 2005 Herbie Fully Loaded), and much like how I felt going in, I had mixed feelings coming out.

I mean on one hand, the fact that I had no aspirations to see it 6 years ago meant that I had literally no expectations when I sat down with a bowl of strawberries last night, and the fact it received so little good press early on helped set ye open minded mood. Not that I usually pay much attention to reviews & whatnot (if anything, I intentionally avoid them until after seeing a film), but considering that the 1968 movie (The Love Bug) was easily my favorite childhood movie, it was good to see this with a clean slate of sorts.

However on the other hand, Herbie was always a childhood favorite of mine, so I knew I'd be pretty sad if this was a complete flop, and gladly I don't think it was. Now, don't get me wrong here. Herbie Fully Loaded was nowhere near one of my favorite movies, but I also wouldn't say it was as horrid as some of my friends made it out to be, and I actually thought some of the throwbacks were clever & well placed. Along with that, I found it refreshing to see Lindsay Lohan in her pre-self destruction, and while this mostly has to do with their roles on Curb Your Enthusiasm & Ed (I've always liked both of these shows), I was glad to see Cheryl Hines & Justin Long make their mark.

Getting to what I didn't like, or rather what I'd have liked to see more of, that would definitely have to do with the overall character development that seemed rushed, and the same goes for how everything got started with Maggie & the multitude of things leading up to her time with Herbie. Along with that, a lot of the music seemed to be dropped in place for the sake of being used, rather than being used for the sake of setting the perfect feel. Scores are a big thing for me in terms of establishing a complete picture, so I guess it was bound to get noticed. In other words, I wish they'd been able to do with the entire movie what they did with Maggie & Herbie's early driving scene where they used the classic whistling track, and I wish they'd paced things a little differently.

... at any rate, and getting to why I have mixed feelings, the fact that I wanted to write an afterthought about the movie is a good sign, I liked some of the little things that paralleled the old movies, and I honestly thought the movie was enjoyable for what it was. However, if you're expecting anything other than a fun movie about a car, or if you're looking for a memorable/modern race film, you're probably better off with the 1at Fast and the Furious Movie or checking out the 1986 classic, The Love Bug.

5. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

I was obsessed with Herbie when I was three years old (I remember making my mom paint "53" on all my toy VW Beetles with her nail polish).

I was put off by the premise of the new movie being set in the NASCAR world; Herbie was all about rally racing and so the WRC would've been much more apropos. That said, naturally Disney had to go with what was familiar and marketable to 'merican audiences.

6. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    I liked horace better.

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    3 year old thread?

Really?

8. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "Best if used by" dates do not apply on these boards, lol.

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Well, if he only just watched it and wanted to discuss it, it's better to bump an old thread than start a new one.

10. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Lohan is the ONLY reason I watched this movie. She used to be so hot, now she just looks used.

11. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well yeah, that's why I bumped this instead of starting a new thread. I mean, just because the other couple of people who talked about this movie before hand haven't done so in a little while, how does it make their views any less relevant?

That was my thought process, anyway.