HEPA-Type Air Purifiers and collecting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrifeZ, Apr 17, 2011.

1. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey, so I'm about to put my Transformers on mostly permanent display for the first time. I've order the cases with doors and what not, and they're on their way, so within the next few weeks for the first time, all my TFs will be somewhere other than bagged in storage bins in the closet.

What took so long? Dust. My house has a serious problem with it due to the fact that when it was built, the builder cut a lot of corners because he was running out of money and used the money put down on this house to cover costs on another home he was building (yes he had his pants sued off and had to leave the state). One of the casualties of this has been the central air system... dust accumulates everywhere at an astonishing rate because the fllters have never worked right, so it just moves dusty air around. I've never displayed Transformers for more than a few day straight because of this.

Well thats changing now with the cases, but I'm looking to do one better. I bought a HEPA-Type Air filter from Walmart. One nearly identical to this actually:
    Amazon.com: Holmes HAP706-U True HEPA Mini-Tower Allergen Remover: Home & Garden

I'm wondering if anyone else uses these to control dust build up in their room. It's advertised as being able to filter air in a bedroom sized room very fast, so I'm hoping it surpresses the dust problem (which when combined with the cases I ordered, will keep my TFs in perfect condition). Is this something that has been successful with you? If not, what else do you think I can do to control the dust built up.

Thank's a lot!

2. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I used to have one in my bedroom and as far as "dust control", it didn't really do that. It made the air smell "fresher" yes......but the dust build up was still there.

3. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What Dark Seeker said. It might slightly as when you change the filter, there's a decent amount of dust collected, but I still get dust on my collection.

4. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Also, from what I've heard, if you're putting your toys on shelves, stick one of those Swiffer wet jet mop heads above each shelf. I don't know about the effectiveness, but at least one person recommended it.

5. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have heard of the swiffer trick as well but i think the best solution if you can afford it, is getting cabinets or bookcases with doors. i have a huge double doored bookcase from Ikea that was like 300 bucks but well worth it, no dust gets in there compared to my open bookcases.

6. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    I thought this thread was about collecting HEPA-air purifiers at first. Well, people have collected stranger things...

I may have to try the Swiffer trick though, that's pretty clever.

7. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah the shelves I have coming have doors. I bought several of these actually:
    Large Rectangle Flat Shelf

very affordable. Great for going on top of book cases. I'm just hoping there is no issue at all with dust being able to get in. I'll try the Sweeper suggestion for my open book cases too. That seems very smart.

But yeah. As much as the central air's problems has been annoying, there's historically been much bigger problems... like the house being built 3 feet to low, so the basement brown to flooding up to my knees, or a railing that looks like it was made in a middle school shop class. >.>

8. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    LOL I was thinking the same thing myself. :lol 

One thing you might want to look into is to see if your ventilation system needs to be vacuumed out. THere is usually an air filter in your furnace that needs to be replaced and the ducts sometimes get clogged with dust and debris which ends up blowing everything all over the house. The only downside is you need to hire somebody to do it since household vacuums won't be able to do the job.

9. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    From what it looks like.....the shelves look fine. As long as there isn't any openings where dust can get in you should be ok.

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'll be damned. I'll have to try that Swiffer trick!

I constantly battle Cosmic Dust.

11. The Dark Seeker

News Credits:
    I feel ya. I hate that. That's why I went out and hunted down that display case I posted in the other thread.

12. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Has anyone actually tried the Swiffer trick? I'm taping up a bunch of sheets right now and quite honestly I feel kinda like it's not going to work but I was still willing to give it a try since I got a box of these sheets lying around.