Henkei Wildrider, Crystal Convoy, Botcon sets questions..

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Uncrazimatic, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Uncrazimatic

Uncrazimatic Uncrazimatic Bore

Hey guys, took a break from collecting for awhile but started looking up the prices of some of the stuff i have..

when did Henkei Wildrider and Crystal Convoy blow up in price? $300 on ebay for each? I have a loose crystal convoy, how much would he be worth?

Also, when did Shattered Glass Optimus become like $400 on ebay? is that the going rate now for him loose?

thanks!

2. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Well, a member onboard is trying to peddle his proto for USD $400 too. :lol 

3. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    All those prices seem too high to me.

I think a loose Crystal Convoy might go as high as $100 or so, but that's on the high end.

Do you have the actual release (the one with the clear red in the back of his head with painted eyes) or the test shot (clear blue in the back of his head with unpainted eyes)? As many sellers were selling loose ones that were test shots and not the actual item.

Randy

4. Uncrazimatic

Uncrazimatic Uncrazimatic Bore

hey, i got mine loose from a friend, it has clear red in the back of his head and light blue painted eyes.. is that the actual release?

also, i think those prices are high too.. pretty crazy! but makes me think about selling them now haha

5. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ill buy your crystal convoy....i want a loose one

6. PoweredConvoy

News Credits:
    You own the actual release.

Some sellers (back when he first came out) were selling loose ones that had clear blue in the back with unpainted eyes. The opaque red was also the same red color used for those parts on the normal Henkei figure rather than the different shade of red used on the actual clear figure.

In the link below, the actual release is on the right and the test shot version is on the left.
    The Allspark: Transformers News Movie Comics Animated

Randy

7. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Then sell it! :ev: 

8. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    I just checked eBay and these guys have sold right around $300 each. That's crazy. I too am surprised by home much these have jumped. I suppose it's Wonderfest exclusivity makes it more rare than say the Ghost SS, clear Leiger and Strafe.

9. msterling21

msterling21 Well-Known Member

One word: China

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, I would have liked a Wildrider, but I'm perfectly fine painting over a Hot Rod that cost me $10.

And not that I could make it better necessarily, but I could at least put more "Wildrider" into it than just being "Henkei! Black Rodimus."

11. PoweredConvoy

News Credits:
    Not that Hot Rods cost $10 these days, but if you do have an extra when he was first released... :) 

Randy

12. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How much did crystal convoy and henkei wildrider cost initially?

13. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not sure about retail since they were exclusives you had to show up to conventions and stand in line just to have a chance to get one but they started out on ebay for around $100-$150 when 1st released.

Looking back over old news, it looks like Wildrider was 3000Yen (~$30) and Crystal Convoy around 4000Yen. Remember this is for people who probably paid a fair amount to get the convention, camped outside the lines just for a chance to get one.

14. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:

lol......that's a great return on your investment. The scarcity certainly helps a ton. Still, you sometimes just have to get lucky with buying the right things. How many people were at Botcon 2006 that are kicking themselves for not snagging a Megatron/Waspinator set? Or, how many grabbed the sideswipe/blurr in 2008 instead of megs/rodimus because it was a little cheaper? It would be nice to know which figures are going to increase in value by 10x ahead of time.......that's why, just to be safe, you should buy EVERYTHING........:D 

15. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Demand is the biggest factor of the price. If so many people did not want it, then the price would not be so high. When people complain that a particular toy is so expensive, it is usually because they want it and it is above their budget. If they did not want it they would not bring up the issue of price in the first place.
    Examples to counter the limited quantity argument is that the same number of WonderFest Dai Atlas and TFM2007 Fusion Cluster Deluxe Protoform Optimus Prime and Starscream (2000) were sold, yet the price has not moved up and sometimes dropped.
    Now is the best time to sell the Gentei exclusives. If you need the money then go ahead and you will be happy with the money you receive. The buyer will also be happy that they got it.

16. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Absolutely true - Fusion Cluster Prime was almost completely awesome, but the goofy orange dropped him way below the level of coolness usually reserved for translucent TF's - and that mold was cooler than a lot of people gave it credit for. Thus the lukewarm reception and low demand. Wildrider and Convoy on the other hand......beautiful from start to finish, in molds that were proven winners.

I'll admit Wildrider's value did surprise me, but I didn't realize at the time that it was such a limited run. But like we see happening with Gentei Thrust, it's also a prime target for a US redeco, 5 years from now when Hasbro needs to recycle molds after every Energon and Cybertron toy has already been tarted up in movie paint and packaging.

17. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wildrider and Crystal Convoy's price jump makes sense.

Classics Hot Rod suprisingly has not yet been repainted at mass retail. Same for Henkei Hot Rod. That alone double-triples its price. The expectation of the protector sets adds another $10-$20. If/once the set actually gets released then it'll go up even more. Shatterered Glass Hot Rod and Wildrider are the only current repaints of this mold and they started at $150. Double this price for how rare the mold is and that'll get you to $300. I'm sure if Hasbo/TakTomy start flooding the market with the mold (say a blue Classics Blurr or white Classics Override) then the price will probably settle at slightly above $250 (guessing just based on where Noisemaze is).

Crystal Convoy is a very popular mold and it's price held at $150-$200 for a while. It did not move much and actually dropped in price a little when the SDCC Nemesis Primes came out. Now that the Nemmys are getting scarce, and due to the popularity of the Commander Sets the Optimus, Convoys, Magnus are pretty rarer Crystal's price has gone up also.

Don't forget that in Japan, Transformers caters to collectors so a lot of these exclusives disappear and never see the light of day again. That raises the scarcity of molds that weren't highly produced to begin with. Same reason for attendee-only Botcon items except that they start out in the US so there's no markup for shipping or language issues.

18. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

I've found that the Japanese exclusive stuff is easier to find, both when they are newly released and later on, on Yahoo Auctions Japan than they are on eBay. You still pay out the nose for them though, especially now adding a proxy service charge.

19. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    does that make it more rare than regular release? worth more or less? i just checked mine and he has the clear blue version....didn't know there was a test shot version of this...
    any other differences?

20. PoweredConvoy

News Credits:
    Just the eyes and the shade of opaque red plastic.

As for value, it depends on the person buying it I guess. I imagine there are less test shot versions, but some people may want the official release version - making it more valuable to some. While others would want the one that isn't the official release as they perceive it as rarer (which it may well be).

I know when I bought the test shot one, I didn't realize it until I got the official one (sealed in box) in the mail. The test shot one was loose. So I had to go and buy another official one because I wanted one sealed and one opened. Figuring when I bought the loose test shot version that it was the official release (not knowing the differences until later).

Randy