Henkei vs Hasbro Classic, which one is better?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kingplay, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I looked through the forums, I didn't see a thread about this.
    So help me out guys, if you could pick either henkei or hasbro for each of the models: Prime, Jetfire, Starscream, Megatron, Ramjet, Bumblebee, Mirage, Rodimus, etc.

AND IF THEY WERE ALL PRICED THE SAME!

Which one would you pick?

All Henkei? or did Hasbro do a better job on some?

2. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    It's a little of here and there.

Henkei Astrotrain is better looking than Classics Astrotrain
    Henkei Megatron is better looking than Classics Megatron
    Classics Ramjet is better looking than Henkei Ramjet
    Classics Jetfire is better looking than Henkei Skyfire.

So each company is gonna win with different figures.

Another factor is opinion, to each his own as they say.

3. Jordo02

Jordo02 Well-Known Member

i agree.

i am certainly doing a mix of the two.

4. Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Sorcerer Well-Known Member

Agreed with the above posters. Some look better in one line, some look better in the other. If price is no object I'll pick whichever one is better, or in some cases, if i like them both and they're sufficiently different, i'll get them both (Megatron, Astrotrain).

5. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Henkei Megatron > Hasbro Megatron, I totally agree
    Henkei Astro > Hasbro Astro, I somewhat agree
    Henkei Ramjet < Hasbro Ramjet, I agree
    Henkei Jetfire < Hasbro Jetfire, neutral

how about the rest?

Mirage? Rodimus? Bumblebee? Grimlock? etc

6. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod Larzzing on twitter!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Grimlock is not that great of a mold IMO, so either one will be about the same. But if I were to choose one it would be Hasbro because I think the chrome looks out of place.

On the Henkai mirage I belive they took out all of the details (I could be wrong though) So, I would have to go for Hasbro, just because I love all of the G1 refrences on there.

Bumbleebee, hands down, goes to Hasbro. Just look at a picture of both, enough of a reason.

Rodimus goes to Henkai, no doubt. The added detail with the flames just looks so much better than the Hasbro version.

Prime goes, to Henkai IMO. I just like it, can't go wrong with either of them.

And then as far as the new universe goes, Powerglide and Silverbolt seem to be the shining examples of Henkai awesomeness.

7. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thank you all for the responses!

Any further comments on Mirage? Starscream? Jetfire?

8. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    mirage=classics

starscream=henkei

jetfire=classics(so far)

I had the entire line of classics and recently upgraded all of them to henkei because imo they are better.Classics had some nicer apps but henkei just look and display better.

9. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i might take tat route too, i actually took half of it, i sold off all my classics for $180, excluding skywarp, constructicons, and ultra mag

10. cartertime

cartertime Well-Known Member

I buy nothing but Takara over Hasbro. There is just more love in their toys.

11. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Everything else being equal, and if I could only choose one:

Bumblebee: Hasbro
    Rodimus: Hasbro
    Starscream: Takara (maybe)
    Astrotrain: Takara
    Optimus: Hasbro
    Megatron: Takara
    Jetfire: Hasbro
    Skywarp: Hasbro
    Ramjet: Hasbro
    Grimlock: Hasbro (though I don't care for the mold itself - except the robot head)
    Mirage: Hasbro
    Magnus: Hasbro (is there going to be a Takara version?)

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me it depends as some of Henkei toys IMO don't look good with chrome - for example, Grimlock.

13. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will own all of both line I mostly prefer Henkei do to the G1 paint schemes. I do like the hasbro Thrust and Thundercracker though.

14. Blackstar

Blackstar TFW2005 Supporter

Having had all the Classics at one time, I'm now getting all the Henkei figures since I'm not collecting as much anymore. Here's my breakdown:

Henkei Optimus > Classics Optimus - less yellow than his American version, dark blue on the legs, Autobot symbols and other little details.

Henkei Megatron > Classics Megatron - obviously

Henkei Astrotrain > Classics Astrotrain - again, obviously

Henkei Starscream > Classics Starscream - the original paint scheme just does justice to this mold. It has better detailing than the American version

Henkei Mirage = Classics Mirage - I think this depends on what you like. If you want a vehicle that has all the racer-style branding, get the classics version. If you want a vehicle that really evokes the original Mirage, go with Henkei. Also, the American blue color is a bit lighter than Henkei version.

Henkei Bumblebee = Classics Bumblebee - Again, this depends on what you want. Bumblebee is great in both versions, but I like the Henkei one because of the smoothness of the deco. I didn't really like the white sections on the Classics version. The interior robot mode is also different, with Bee's arms and legs made of dark grey plastic instead of just black.

Henkei Grimlock > Classics Grimloc - even though this mold is a dud, the deco on Henkei Grimlock is just spot on G1, and that's why I like him better. There's a lot of detail put into this one that the American version didn't have, plus his face is painted, giving it a bit more character than ours had. Overall, I just like the deco on this one better.

Those are the only ones I have so far, but I plan on getting the others. One thing I don't like, though, is the excessive use of chrome. It's mostly done in places that it doesn't matter (Astrotrain's thrusters, Bumblebee's engine block) and I don't understand why that had to be a gimmick on this line. The chromed grill on Prime is the ONLY place it looks decent.

15. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    It's definately a mix. One of them has to look better then the other, and a lil' mix and matching can get you a really good group of G1 transformers.

16. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Here's my breakdown:

Autobots
    Convoy >>> Prime --excellent mould nevertheless, but the chromed grill and silver instead of gray really works towards henkei's favour.

CL Bumblebee >>> H Bumble ---the white is nothing to write home about, but adds layer to the vehicle mode whereas the bland orangey\yellow does nothing for the japanese version.

CL Mirage == H Mirage ---about the same. I like both equally for different reasons.

H Grimlock >>>> CL Grimlock ---chrome just about makes him better even though it's apparently random. Can't stop staring him on the shelf.

H Rodimus >>> CL Rodimus ---will update when I get him in hand, appears better but don't like the orangey pattern on the chest.

CL Jetfire >> H Skyfire ---true to the G1 deco but way, way too bland. Especially in jet mode.

The decepticons all appear to be better in their henkei versions, except for skywarp. Like the darker purple of the US version, to be honest.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Only optimus from henkei. everything else in the line looks like garbage.

18. Pride21

Pride21 Honor Wisdom Virtue

I have all of classics wave 1 & 2 deluxe and voyager (except CJ, UM, and SW). The only henkei I would want would be SS since he has more detail than hasbros.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd choose Classics almost every time, largely because the Henkei chrome looks like crap (and stands a risk of chipping) and because I don't care about 'show accuracy' since I don't like the G1 cartoon anyway. I also think Hasbro's colour schemes and paint applications look better on a number of figures (Powerglide, Onslaught, Astrotrain, Ramjet) or are so similar that I can't see enough of a difference (Jetfire, Silverbolt, etc). Megatron is the only figure where, besides the chrome, I think Henkei has a nicer paint job...but I like the Hasbro release enough that it's not a big deal.

20. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I would be about 50-50 on both. Henkei did very well with Megatron, Astrotrain, and Starscream but I prefer Hasbro's Jetfire, Bumblebee, and Mirage among others so it is toss up.