Henkei Sons of Cybertron Optimus Prime Convoy Rodimus Hot Rod

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Tissot, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Tissot

Tissot Banned

I didn't see a thread for these beauties so I decided to start one up.

These are very limited, each case only has 6 of them and only 344 cases were produced as can be seen on the side of the cases.

So they are limited to 6 x 344 = 2,064

Since most people are familiar with these molds I don't think it is necessary to go in depth.

The only difference is the obvious.
    Plastic is clear this time around!

Very delighted with the chrome and paint jobs done by Takara.

Feel free to ask for pictures from any angle you wish.
    Feel free to ask any questions.

If you are interested in attaining the Prime by itself or the entire set I do have them for sale.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/items...ial-elite-prowl-offer-crystal-prime-35-a.html

Enjoy! Shoot the questions and requests!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where is the feedback/review? This is more like you selling your stuff.

**EDIT**

Ooops. I just notice the OP's status.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  3. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    got my set, flawless, and super fast too :) 
    your aweseom!!

4. Stormcrow

Stormcrow Well-Known Member

Hot Rod is beautiful. The plastic feels relatively strong for being clear, and the joints are super tight.

This has been my first experience with this Prime mold, and it's the pits. I've always heard how terrible he was, and it's all true. He doesn't look TOO bad just standing there, but in hand he's one of the floppiest figure I've ever handled.

5. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I give this set a C+.

Rodimus: First, I'll stray from most of the public sentiment out there and admit that I'm disappointed in Rodimus. It has a few paint aps, but is mostly just unpainted plastic with no detail. The hood deco also looks very plain to me (I prefer the deco on the Classics 1.0 version) and the face/head has no presence or personality. I'm not sure why, but I look at the regular classic Rodimus' face and see Rodimus. I look at this one and see lifeless plastic.

The chromed spoiler is a big plus (and makes the alt. mode look really sharp), but its not enough to save this one in my book. After how wonderful the clear henkei Starscream turned out, I just can't get myself to fall in love with this one (particularly with how much the set costs, and how little you get with Optimus ---- more below).

Optimus: Sons of Cybertron Optimus is not just the victim of being a terrible mold. He was also very poorly produced. I won't go into detail on all the common complaints here (floppy chest (lol), terrible alt. mode, etc.), but they just didn't seem to put any effort whatsoever into even making him look nice. He has WAY too many non-transparent parts (i.e. grill/waist, hips, shoulders). You could miss the fact that he's supposed to be a "crystal" figure if you just looked at him quickly. If they HAD to use regular plastic for the grill, you'd think that sprucing it up with a little silver chrome would be an easy fix. Unfortunately, they didn't bother. To me, these issues just compound the fact that the actual toy/mold already sucks.

Conclusion: I don't hate the set, and Rodimus looks pretty sweet in his alt mode, but if I had it to do over again, I'd pass.

6. Red Snarl

Red Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Got my set from tfsource this morning and thought I'd do a quick review on them.

HotRod: While he looks awesome in both modes I'm afraid he'll brake to easily. His joints can be stiff at times and his head is to tight for me to want to turn it in fear that it will snap off. Also every piece of this toy is clear plastic, even the black parts, there's no solid plastic on this figure which adds to the brittleness.

Optimus: Out of the two I think Optimus is better. I know he isn't as clear as he could have been (The waist and grill are semi-transparent like wingblade primes thighs) but at least he doesn't feel like he's going to crumble in my hands. I can actually play around and transform him without worrying.

Also as toys I think Optimus is better than Hotrod and people come down on him to hard. The only thing Hotrod has over Prime is the altmode but the Primes robot mode is far better which is where it counts for me.

Overall the animated set is better.

Attached Files:

7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I just got the set and agree that Rodimus is the big draw in the set ; with his vehicle mode being especially attractive looking.

He has a good degree of color on him despite being made from clear plastic but perhaps he didn't need the orange border around the flames on his chest.

He does have some black plastic on him, on the back interior, the wheels the com unit/ cutter ring, his hands and feet.

As for missing paint he might benifit from a tab of smoke paint on the head so there's no gap in the windshield in vehicle mode.

His gun still sucks a bit though ; I need to check to see if the pre-Targetmaster version can lend his weapons to this one.

The main reason I wanted this toy is I already own a Clear Red G1 Hot Rodimus (reissue) and this just seemed right to get too.

As well as the chance that there might be a clear Protector Armor get made.

Overall positive feelings - but he does seem fragile so one to take a lot of care with when Transforming especially the knee hatches.

_____

Optimus I'm not 100% sure yet if he's a preview of the paint template applied to the Transformers United Dlx Optimus or if he's copied from the Back Box Special Edition Optimus from some months ago. but his paint design is different from the original Hasbro version as he's got no paint on the side of his legs and no paint on his knees and upper shins.

Looking at the way the mold breaks up I have to wonder if they could have chromed some of his parts if they were not going to make them in clear plastic.

But he's soild stand pretty well over all and he looks quite badass sporting two guns.

I'll probably paint his chest window surrounds silver and paint the back of his chest light silver too and maybe oneday find him an Autobot logo for the left shoulder.

Unlike a lot of People I've always really liked this mold and was actually playing with the original version before I even decided to get this clear one.

I like that he's a similar size to characters like WFC Megatron & Darkmount.
    As for being clear again the reason I like this one is I did buy a Clear Micron Legend Convoy and this is sort of similar in some ways.

I would have liked a Clear (fake) G1 Convoy/Optimus Prime but by the time I decided to get one they'd all vanished. Also with the help of a bit of lego technik he can also haul the clear Trailer designed for the E-hobby Clear Convoy which he also seems to got well with.

I like to look at his as Spark Attack Optimus or Matrix Power Optimus so he can Light some Darkest Hours with a borrowed Matrix toy.

For some neato Badassery you can lend him the sword from RID Scourge or G2 Laser Prime. or even the tail weapon from Energon Cruellock/Doomlock.
    If you want to store his weapon the handles fit nicely over his spinning body action feature trigger.

So I guess I wanted these as I have a general fondness for Black repaints and clear repaints.

I'm sure many people would find Rodimus more appealing and I guess relevence depends on what you think about clear toys.

I however like them both.