Henkei Smokescreen, Red Alert and Ratchet

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by SmokescreenSWE, May 4, 2009.

1. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, I'm supposedly due to be unemployed and I'm cutting most of my purchases, but I can't really pass on Smokescreen once he's finally available in a proper colour (unlike the *barf* Universe version). And since I'm paying Toyspark's high shipping already, what's another figure or two? With these, I've completed the Universe figures I really want. I might grab some of the minibots later on but for now, I have what I want.

[​IMG]

These guys all look great, but they're awfully familiar...

[​IMG]

Yes, unlike my last set of Inferno, Hound and Cyclonus, there's not a single new mold here. Which is fine in this case, since these guys obviously should share the same mold. Since you already know how these work and transform, I'll focus on the differences.

[​IMG]

Smokescreen first (duh!). He's quite different from his brothers (and the Universe issue). All of his colours are perfectly matched to the original figure. Usually, some pieces would have to be the same colours due to how they are molded on the original sprue, which is why Universe Smokescreen has all of that crazy colouration on him. Well, not this collector's figure. His shoulders are painted blue, as are his lower legs. The spoiler is red chrome, the only thing I don't really care for. His head crest is coppery rather than gold but it looks fine, and his weapons are obviously chromed. The blue is slightly lighter than the original but much closer*than the dark*blues*we've gotten on his homages recently. He's very solid, more-so than Bluestreak and Prowl even though he's the last mold. If I could*ask for anything more, I'd like painted exhausts (I did them myself), some green on his waist and white launchers rather than all chrome, but that's just being nitpicky.All in all, one of the best Universe/Classics ever... but of course I'm biased :) 

Red Alert is a figure I have no nostalgic relation to at all. He never appeared in the comic so I hardly knew that he existed, save for images in toy guides. Still, I can't pass on such a cool looking figure. I can't really decide who looks the best out of the three (I retouched Sunstreaker a lot to make him that gorgerous - that's a Universe one in the car pic), but they're all awesome. My Red Alert is slightly loose around the shoulders but otherwise fine. The chrome is fitting, there is some great detailing on his deco and his head looks great in red. Since he's not being released in Universe, and because he's such a great start for a Wheeljack custom, I suggest you grab your Red Alerts NOW before he's all gone.

Ratchet is one of my old favourite characters but to this day I've never owned any figure of him. So this has been a very long wait indeed. Was he worth it? Well, personally I consider the Ironhide mold good but not great. I don't mind that he's a bit short, but the car mode is horrible. The sparkly blue windows are much better than the baby blue that I had to repaint on Ironhide. For now I've only removed his bumper to make him different from Ironhide. I might eventually paint his head red/white to match the comic colours and in that case fix up the plate behind his head which should be white. Still, he's a fine figure on his own and quite possibly the best, by far, rendition of Ratchet we've seen.

That's the figures taken care of, on with the pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MEGAMAN X FAN

MEGAMAN X FAN Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nice pictures

3. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Good reviews and straight to the point. Can't wait til I get mine. Nice job!

4. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    All 3 are excellent. Very nice review on the 3 and to the point. All 3 figures are excellent and with no problems.

5. Brolga01

Brolga01 Olé

I like the prowl pics!!!:D 

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I just got my Smokescreen today. He's my first exposure to this mold, both times actually (G1 and this time), and he's a nice toy, though again as a first timer, I had a bit of an issue at first with the door/front fender in the Transforming him. However, that aside, he really is nice.

Smokescreen holds a special place, as he was my first Autobot car, and I always liked his character, so I was disapointed with the Universe version, especially with the numbers on the doors, so I went Henkei and I'm glad. For me the launchers should be chrome, that would be flashy in Smokescreens style. Overall, he really pops and looks great, well worth the few extra bucks IMHO.

7. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Nice pics and review. Red Alert is excellent

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn your pics made Smokescreen look really good.

9. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    Why does your Sunstreaker have Sideswipe's shoulders?

10. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I picked them both up, and absolutely Love the Henkei treatment on these guys. Getting Henkei Ratchet soon as well.

I hope I like him as much as these two, definitely picks of the litter.

11. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Although I already owned the Hasbro version of Smokescreen, I bought Henkei Smokscreen and I am so glad I did now. Henkei Smokscreen is leagues better than the Hasbro version. Its not even close.

12. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I touched up lots of stuff on Sunstreaker to make him look better.

13. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cool pics and great review. I got my Henkei Smokescreen a couple days ago and I absolutely love him! Such an improvement over the Universe version I can't begin to describe.

14. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

Great pics. Is that crushed blue velvet??? *homer drool* haha. Nice! I've got my smokescreen ordered, but sitting in my POL w/BBTS. Can't wait. I like what you did with sunstreaker. Nice and flashy.

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I bought the Universe version a while back, but I plan on painting him up to match the more accurate Henkei version. Might paint the legs chrome as well for a more metallic look.

16. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    Smokescreen and Red Alert just hit my desk.
    I cannot believe how nice the paint on Red Alert is compared to Uni Prowl.

17. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Cool review man. Short and to the point. Some nice pics too. I'm looking forward to getting that Red Alert but Smokescreen just isn't high enough on my favorites list to get him after getting the inferior Hasbro one. I might crack one day especially after hearing all the rave reviews about the TakaraTomy one

18. newOrder

newOrder LowLife Republic

Instagram:
    Thanks for the review, make me appreciate the Henkei and Universe 2.0 of the line. these guys look great together. Hasbro/TomyTakara plz don't stop.

19. artiepants

artiepants Just over here punching Unicron.

News Credits:
    IOt's GOT to be said that Henkei Red Alert and Smokescreen are EASILY the best 2 versions of these molds ~ tight joints, unbelievably nice paint ~ SERIOUSLY, fantastic ~ and perfectly capturing the characters. I'm not even a fan of Red Alert with a red head, but it looks great hear. the red on both of them is so nice and glossy... I guess i kind of had gotten used to Hasbro's fairly shoddy paint on the Uni2.0 figures, these 2 make me want to go back and replace most with Henkei versions...

20. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Is the lightbar glued in place on Red Alert or removable?