Henkei! returns as..............Transformers United

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Red leader, Sep 20, 2010.

1. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    It's good bad news (or bad good news) because I already have those figures but I know I will want to replace them all with the superior Takara versions. It's all about the money.

2. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Generations Drift has plastic swords. :banghead: 

3. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    The whole Binaltech Wildrider for starters. They couldn't get the name or it was too close to Kamen Rider so it was changed to Black Widow but then the figure was canceled. Even when the Henkei (Gentei) Wildrider came out he had to be called 'Stuntron Wildrider'. Also Hauler had to be called Load/Road Hauler. There have been more and more instances of this lately in Japan with Autobot or some other descriptor in front of the character's name.

Randy

4. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

No, they're definitely rubber. Very bendy.

5. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I like that way better, adding the U at the end would change the way it's pronounced, like Choogoo. CHUG sounds like a shit horror movie.

6. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I'm also curious.

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Interesting, yet not all that surprising news. Takara was inevitably going to release their take on Generations, was just a matter of time. Still going to get the Hasbro releases instead (always preferred the Hasbro releases over Takara's).

Should be interesting to see what the non-WFC Prime, Megs, and Bee are. If they're new molds, they'll get Hasbro releases eventually.

8. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Well-Known Member

And looks like TakaraTomy had changed its policy on TF marketing for "new generations" ever since Michael Bay's movie. anything released since that movie will all be "americanized", save for G1 past, where everyone was using "local name" and "international name" in the same time...... iPod Convoy was also marketed as "Optimus Prime" and "Convoy" at the same time! . This "transition" is hard process since much of Bay's TF movie audience are G1 fans, (including ones in Japan)... The old school still recognizes the local name, and only recognizes the term "Autobot" as "subgroups" not the whole faction.... oddly, in Japanese-dub of "The Rebirth" episode. the word "Cybertron" refers to both faction, and the Planet itself... (and oddly, the Alternity line NEVER gets AMERICANIZED, everyone uses Japanese name, but SONS OF CYBERTRON line, both Optimus and Rodimus is marketed as such in Japan and not using local names)..?!

And remember that. even as i've checked Tomy's website. the CHUG(??) thing was marketed BOTH TF: Henkei Henkei! and TF: Universe (USA Edition).... and even in TF: Universe page... ƒgƒ‰ƒ“ƒXƒtƒH￾[ƒ}￾[￾@ƒ†ƒjƒo￾[ƒX￾@USAƒGƒfƒBƒVƒ‡ƒ“ Click at Onslaught's page and you'll see that he's referred to as "Combatrons" ... Japonized name of Combaticons. so if Henkei! Henkei! line is to be "Americanized" there..... HOW will TakaraTomy rebranded the whole dude who's already got japanese names?

The world is getting weirder now. or just me?

TF: Animated is the first TF cartoon released in Japan with fully americanized name... under the reasons that TF: Animated is linked to Bay's movie (???) one way or another (I don't think so!). yet. Bulkhead is named Ironhide!!!?

Maybe because TF: War for Cybertron was released in Japan without any Japonization.... not even getting Japanese dub (maybe because the market gets smaller there??), personally i'd prefer seeing that game went on to Japonization process, Issey Masamune does a narration, Tessho Genda does Convoy, and Seizo Kato does Megatron,..... but yet again, putting the origins of the name "Convoy" as Orion Pax's "Title" requires alot of work i think... I'm not sure that Japanese G1 fans ever aware whether the Cybertron leader before Convoy was ever exists and what was his name? and ever they aware why Optimus Prime was called "Convoy"... just PLAIN CONVOY there without his honorific name on it. they only aware that Convoy was not the first leader because he inherited the matrix from previous leader. but did they ever heard of the name "Sentinel Prime" during G1 days????. IF Optimus was the first prime to be locally called "Convoy" there. then the backstory/material is needed to give a background to that name. and the reasons Optimus is (locally percieved as) Convoy....
    I.E. under that ground, CONVOY was NOT his REAL name. but was it the call sign of Orion Pax before earning the title "Prime"?.... no Japanese materials even give that background, not giving ANY....

The only instance that the title Prime exists in Japan release was TF: Galaxy Force, "Vector Prime" was called as such in Japan, and he stood next to Galaxy Convoy (americanized as Optimus Prime)..... this should give a clue that the term "Convoy" was just Optimus's nickname (or..... callsign)...... This Galaxy Force backstory should be based on American comics G1 backstory one way or another.....

But marketing all WFC dudes using american faction names is ..... what's wrong with TF Brand Manager in Japan???, if you want to release Optimus Prime under that name in Japan and under Henkei! Henkei! line while having his "earth" self Japonized, ... use Japanese factions name instead, It's ok if you decided to market him as Optimus Prime instead of following your traditions (Convoy)....

Maybe this is just me. i'm still wonder the reasons why Takara Tomy decided to end their 25 years tradition and marketed everyone under American name. Does HASBRO says to TT to quit that tradition? does the "renewed" licensing contract said that? (under Japanese law. TakaraTomy is a NEW ENTITY and the two pre-merger company ceased to exist (???) so every international contracts had to be "renewed"... right?)

Or is it a secret business deal between JAP TF brand manager and USA TF Brand Manager, saying that YOU takes american name, I will add your local names to my release. and this deal affects the PCC release, having CRANKCASE's drones released under the name "DESTRONS"?

And ARE YOU SURE that all WFC toys will be included to HENKEI HENKEI line and marketed under american name in japanese soil?

9. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I think it would be funny if they turned Drift into a Old West fanboy for the Japanese release. They can give him Blurr's dual pistols, a giant pitch fork, and put cowboy hats, lassos, and horses on his doors.

10. An Army of Bees

An Army of Bees WTF@TFW Podcast Editor Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    ...What if the Megs/Prime are the 2pack ones from 2006?

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I wonder if the Prime and Megatron are the Unite for the Universe ones? I'll be interested to see what comes out of this.

Cheers for the heads up Andy!

12. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Saw this coming and was just the announcement I was waiting for :D 

Wile the Hasbro releases of these figures has been solid I really hope we see some nifty paint job upgrades, especially on WFC Prime which is in dire need of one. Will be picking up Prime and Drift for sure as those are some of the best toys I've seen in a long wile :D 

13. ProtoformX

ProtoformX Beasties!

News Credits:
    Im calling it now...

The Prime and Megatron are going to be the BW 10th Anniversary molds that they never got in Japan

14. Soundwave3k

Soundwave3k TFW2005 Supporter

I got wave 1 of Generations but I'll be holding out on the rest until I see pics of the Japanese releases. Awesome news!

15. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    If the WFC guys have more metallic game-accurate decoes I'll be considering a pickup.

Or an overshield!

16. oxidative

oxidative last chance to evacuate

All I can say is BRING IT ON Takara :ev: 

17. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    Why is everyone wishing for Drift's sword to be hard plastic? It'll probably snap when you try to store it in car mode.

18. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Chrome!!!!

19. Lone Cat

Lone Cat Well-Known Member

I'd wanna see such release. but not without the 25-years long traditions devoided.

20. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    I don't think so. As they require Force Chips/Cyber Keys for gimmicks. I doubt they'd use them in a line that it's not the focus.

Randy