Henkei quality vs. Hasbro versions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bluestreak76, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Bluestreak76

Bluestreak76 Well-Known Member

I've been eyeing some of the Henkei releases but im curious if the quality is the same as the Hasbro classics or better?

We all know Hasbro tends to do less detail and be cheaper all around.

I am referring to the paint issues with Silverstreak/Prowl and Ironhide among other known issues like loose joints etc.

If am gonna pay double the price for Henkei I just wanted to know if its worth it.

I've been looking at Henkei:

Astrotrain
    Megatron
    Sunstreaker

Anyone?

2. Caine

Caine Rise up to the glory!!

News Credits:
    When you talk about Henkei, it's the chrome that matters.

Astrotrain & Megatron got adequate amount & placement of chrome, that's why they're the only two Henkei figures that I bought. While for others, I skipped Henkei & prefers Universe Classics 2.0.

3. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I noticed with my Henkei, that though they may look better... Hasbro's versions feel and play better. My Henkei Sunstreaker and Prowl have joints that are looser than a hooker and it irritates me.

4. Bluestreak76

I agree on the chrome.. some of them like Grimlock have too much chrome lol. Sunstreaker seems to have the chrome in the right places but then again how many sports cars have chrome spoilers lol. I might just skip SS and go for Megatron and Astrotrain.

5. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definitely go for Megs and Astrotrain. Those two are the "must-haves." I'd also recommend Optimus Prime for the chrome grille and bumper.(Although, the red paint is lighter than the red plastic, making the truck have uneven colors, so that might be a deal-breaker for you). I have all those plus Henkei Rodimus, Thundercracker, and Bumbebee, and haven't noticed any differences in playabilty or QC in the Henkei versions, except the loose launchers on Thundercracker, but those were easily fixed.

6. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    get all of classics 1.0 from henkei except grimlock.... classics 2.0, i prefer hasbro
    quality, no real differenc3e

7. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Henkei and Classics Universe all come from the same factories, so they are all prone to the same QC Problems.

Japanese Prowls have reportedly suffered from the same maladies as the American versions, with the same frequency. Seekers still have loose guns, paint apps are occasionally sticky, sloppy, uneven, or poorly applied...typical for Transformers recently.

The only justification for getting the Henkei versions is if you like the deco better. That's all. Otherwise, they're not better figures by any means.

8. Bluestreak76

Cool thanks for the heads up.

As I mentioned in a previous post, im going to combine a Henkei Grimlock and Classics to get the best parts from each! Tho I don't see a missile on the Henkei grimlocks packaging---just an emty gun displayed in the bubble. I hope he comes with one cause I lost my Classics Grim's missile during a recent move and it annoys me.

9. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I would get the Henkei versions of Astrotrain and Megatron since I like the paint decos better. Unfortunately it seems no matter what Transformers you like you are going to get some QA problems but I honestly haven't seen any yet though that may be because I collect Universe/Classics and not Animated.

10. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As mentioned before, the Henkei versions may look better but they have similar QC problems as the Hasbro versions. I found this out the hard way. I got myself a Prowl and he in good shape and a friend of mine asked for one, however, his did not turned out as well. His figure did not line up very well in car mode (particularly with the doors) and the launchers will not go all of the way down to the shoulder. In terms of the Bluestreak, I have seen a few pictures where the figure is displayed with a defective launcher. So, they are still a hit or miss in terms of QC.

11. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Starscream is my favorite, but Ironhide looks nice along with Sideswipe.

12. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    I only buy the Henkei that I can't get from Hasbro or that have a better paint job, i.e. Astrotrain and Megatron. Henkei Prime looks really good, so I'll eventually get that. I may get Ironhide as a Henkei and I'm waiting to see how they paint their version of Cyclonus and Hound. Another one I may get as Henkei is Ratchet. Does anyone know if Hasbro as even anounced him yet? For the most part I'm buying Hasbro.

13. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    There's really no difference in quality. It comes down to your paint deco preference. The quality is the same. I have Henkei Prowl and he doesn't have sticky doors. I also have Universe Bluestreak and no problems with him either. I've only read of one person having trouble with Henkei Prowl but he seems to have problems with all of the Prowl molds.

I have all the Henkei figures minus Ramjet, Sideswipe, Bluestreak, and Octane. Everybody points to Megatron and Astrotrain being must haves because of their paint deco. But those two are actually my two least favorite figures. If you have a crappy mold, its still a crappy mold. The best figures are Prime, Mirage, and Sunstreaker. They are so purttttty in their bold colors.

14. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I donno for me the chrome is not even really a factor when buying Henkei, though it has prevented me from buying a few (Grimlock). I buy Henkei over Classics/Universe due to the more fleshed out and more complete paint jobs Takara/Tomy seems gives their product. Paint wise I feel Hasbro is falling short with toys such as Classics Ultra Magnus and Starscream being good examples. With Universe I find that not only do the paint apps feel unfinished but the plastic and the toy in general also feels generally cheaper. While Henkei has been far from perfect as we all know the deal with Skywarp and Thundercracker, I've still been happier with Henkei over Classics/Universe thus far.

15. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    I'm not big on Henkei unless they fixed some major color problems. I could care less about Chrome.

16. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Chrome is the reason I do not have any Henkei.