Henkei Hound VS Universe/Classics Hound. Which One Do I Keep?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, May 6, 2011.

?

Henkei Hound VS Universe/Classics Hound. Which one would you keep?

1. Henkei Hound (Please State Reason Why In Thread.)

53 vote(s)
    81.5%
  2. Universe/Classics Hound (Please State Reason Why In Thread.)

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. I'd have to break down and keep both of 'em.

7 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Ok I was lucky enough to acquire a Henkei Hound recently. I already have Universe/Classics Hound.

While I love the character, I only want to keep one of them. I think they're both good figures for different reasons.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the Henkei version. Please please help me out here. If you could only keep one, which one would it be and why?

2. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Lol. Oh come on. This is a no brainer. Henkei of course. The paint aps are better. The chrome is awesome. The color plastic is perfect.

3. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    henkei looks so much nicer

4. SoundBlaster7

SoundBlaster7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    henkei all the way baby! :D 

5. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    When Henkei first came out, I originally wasn't impressed with the paint scheme or the chrome.

I think it looks nice now, but it isn't "the end all be all."

6. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

I had the Classics Hound and made him into Shattered Glass Hound. Henkei Hound is the only Henkei figure displayed with my Classics. The paint apps are a dramatic improvement, and the chrome isn't too bad either.

~Z

7. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I kept em both, but if I had to choose one, it would be the Henkei. I have the Henkei displayed in bot mode, and the Universe in vehicle mode. I like having two Ravages, so I would keep em both.

8. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Henkei, easily for me.

If you can keep both though, I say do it.

9. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

If it were me, I'd keep the Classics Hound. While chrome looks good, I'm not really a fan. I'm always paranoid that it'll start flaking or rubbing off every time I touch it.

10. captaingambit

captaingambit Urban Explorer/Toy Addict

I've got both of them and I have some kind of strange opinions regarding Hound. He was my favorite character on the cartoon when I was a little kid, but I never was lucky enough to own the toy during the 80's. I managed to get one off ebay sometime around my high school graduation in 2000 though, so I am familiar with the old toy.

Classics/Universe Hound is very nice and brightly colored. His colors are reminiscent of the original cartoon, in my opinion. The green is really bright, and he stands out very nicely when standing on a shelf with other classics toys (the green is a great contrast to all the red and white guys).

Henkei Hound is much more muted in coloring, and in many ways is much more accurate to the original toy. During the 80's Hound was the favorite transformer of the designer of the mold. He is also the same guy who designed Classics Bumblebee. He has been on record urging collectors to buy the Japanese version since he also supposedly picked those paint applications for him. So the Japanese one is both closer in coloring to the G1 toy and also the "deffinitive version" as envisioned by the very guy who designed this newwer toy.

I like the colors on Henkei Hound and I like the additional paint applications. The chrome bumper, however, does not appeal to me. Also, the muted colors just don't make him "pop" on the display shelf the same way the Classics/Universe version does.

So what I have done is this...

Classics/Universe Hound has been turned into a custom by me.

I took off the bumper (since it is removeable) and cut off all the extra bits (leaving it essentially a straight flat bumper). I stripped off all the paint, leaving it as a black bumper. Reattached, the bumper looks much less obtrusive in both modes. It actually blends in nicely as more robot chest instead of bumper in bot mode (hard to describe without a picture).

I also painted Hounds feet black and his rear bumper black too. This makes his feet more G1 accurate and accentuates his robot legs better.

I really like my customized Hound best like this and as a result I fiddle with him far more (and display him too). My Henkei Hound, which I'm reluctant to customize because I paid so much more for him, sits forgotten in a storage box.

I don't know how apt you are to do customization to your toys though. If you need the cash, you can get more money on the secondary market by selling your Henkei Hound. If you just want a definitive version of the toy without customization, the Henkei Hound is better.

11. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

Henkei, besides his yellow stripe, he looks more closer to G1 plus he looks more visually appealing. They still have it at TFsource I think. One of the few Henkeis that aren't scarce. Egh, where the hell is Henkei Ratchet!

12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Henkei because it's Henkei.

13. Terramotus

Terramotus Triple-Changer

Henkei easily. I hate the light green color of Classics Hound, and the paint apps are so much better. He's one of the guys that made me switch over to collecting primarily Henkei/United.

14. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Henkei, cuz that what she would say.

15. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Henkei was more accurate to Hound. But would of liked it more without the chrome.

16. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Right now, I just have the Classics/Universe Hound, but I really want to get the Henkei version. I've thought of selling the Classics version, but then I decided that since Hound is one of my fave Autobots from G1, I might as well keep the Classics version even after I get myself the Henkei version.

So I'm one of the few who voted for the third option.

17. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    I had both, repainted the 'Bro version into Detritus, I just prefer the shade on the Henkei. And yes, Detritus looks kick-ass!

18. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

^ this ^

19. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had the same decision to make but in a minute I decided to keep the Henkei version. He looks better all round and as a display piece whereas the Hasbro version is the cheaper version meant for kids. (the fact that the Henkei version was easier for me to get hold of was a good factor too.)

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  20. JavaJim

JavaJim Agilisticobot

Ebay:
    I only recently began seriously collecting Transformers back in January, but every single Henkei I have purchased has been far better than the Hasbro counter part. Just got a Henkei Animated Ironhide in and it's awesome. Easily one of the best looking animated transformers I own now. Almost don't want to open it... almost. :)