Minor/Repaint: Henkei Hotrod Detailing

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Demonss, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey Everyone!

So I recently started collecting the classics/universe line since I love the deisngs and I love how they look. Sometimes I'll pick up the Henkei other times just the classics.

Anyway. I've noticed that there is SOOOOOOO much detail in the molds but really aren't painted as such.

So I took a black Expo dry erase pen and decided to go after Henkei Hotrod as my first victim.. I choose him because I don't like how he fits together in his alt mode and may pick up another at some point in time.

Let me just say, the results (at least to me are pretty fantastic.
    It's easy to do with an expo dry erase, and if you don't like it just use a toothbrush to remove the marks you made.

Overall I think it's improved his looks pretty substantially. Especially with around the exhaust. I realize there's probably more I could fill in, but I'm quite happy with how he looks now, and some of it I just couldn't get to turn out right.

So here's a few pics of My Hotrod (his light piping REALLY picked up the light from the window.. looks AWESOME).

First though, a "stock" pic from the net to detail a few differences.
    Note, some of the details are fairly subtle but I feel they add quite a bit!

Oh and one final thought.. If I decide to ever trade my Henkei hotrod, just grabbing the detailing toothbrush I can take everything I've done to him right back off! :) 

Attached Files:

2. spoonman

spoonman Kitbasher extrordinaire!

Nice touches. You're right about the unpainted detail. They are just begging for this type of thingh! Cool work!

3. Demonss

News Credits:
    Yeah the only thing that I don't care for about it, is that it really accentuates how horribly the pieces of my hotrod line up.. haha..

Oh well. A nice bit of extra touches for someone who doesn't have much talent in the ways of painting and such. :) 

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

An Expo marker HAH. I've been so caught up in the thought of Gundam pens for detailing that an Expo marker never came to mind. Pretty awesome. I might have to try that with Classics Grimlock. I can't stand seeing just his torso have the blackwash.

5. Demonss

News Credits:
    Honestly.. My quest started with the Gundam Markers I used in college.. I was looking on Ebay and found some for like $5 or so. Then I started doing some research on a gundam model forum and hearing a ton of people say, "Get the Expo markers, they work just as well for substantially cheaper." So I ran to the store today when I grabbed some milk and such, and grabbed a pack of 4 expo markers for $3 and gave it a try on hotrod.. Not bad!

I would like to see if Expo makes some finer tipped markers.. But that can wait! :) 

6. Demonss

News Credits:
    Well.. Tried this trick again on Henkei Astrotrain.. Unfortunately this time some paint came off with the rub.. :-/

I'll have to head to the art store tomorrow see if I Can match it.. I don't know if a gundam marker would have done the same or not.. I may (if I can find it) try it with a gundam marker just to see.. For now I'll save this trick for unpainted parts I think.