Henkei Convoy chrome

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by foxfan352, Jan 31, 2010.

1. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

Hello tfwers

I am gettin a Henkei Convoy and I dont know if I should keep it in the box or not due to his chrome paint? So I thought up a few questions ...

Does his chrome paint come of easily?
    Does it scratch easily?
    Is it a finger print magnet?

I have never had a toy with chrome paint before so i don't know how good the quality of the paint is so I am glad if some helped me out

2. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Chrome should be fine if the toy is just going to be displayed and transformed on rare occasions (ie: packing up and moving). If it's being played around with, then yeah- expect scratches and chipping in time.

I try to avoid touching chrome parts directly to begin with, but I also keep a cloth around (like the ones used for cleaning eyeglasses) to wipe off whatever.

3. jimmynguyen41

jimmynguyen41 aka Special Agent JiMMeRz

News Credits:
    the chrome on the henkeis are painted on not vacuum metallize and they do flake off....but I agree with Kusanagi, i just avoid it all together lol

4. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    I have all the Henkei and I have yet to have any issues with any of them.

You are more likely to have the silver paint on his legs and waist wear off then the chrome paint on his bumper and grill.

Randy

5. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

The quality of the chrome on the Henkeis varies a lot. It's luck of the draw whether you get a really nice chrome application, or whether you get a scratchy one with the plastic showing through in areas. But I've noticed it's the small chrome apps that tend to look worse, like the missile launchers on the seekers.

I wouldn't worry about Henkei Convoy. The grill is a big single chromed piece, and I'm pretty sure that any single piece of plastic that's completely covered like that is vac metal, not painted on. I think only the coloured chrome or small chrome apps that don't cover an entire piece might be paint. Vac metal is resilient and it won't scratch much unless you're rough with it, like a child would be playing with it.

Chrome is definitely a finger print magnet though. If that bothers you, what I do is wipe down all the chrome with a soft cloth after opening the toy. The chrome already picks up finger prints at the factory you see. But make sure it's a soft cloth, like for cleaning spectacles, as Kusanagi suggested. Then just try to avoid touching the chrome much, or if it's a figure where you have to touch it during transformation, gently wipe it down again when you're done with it.