Henkei Astrotrain

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Gears, May 9, 2008.

1. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I bought Classics Astrotrain, I thought he was just "ok." A decent bot mode, and two passable alt modes. It's amazing what a nicer paint-job can do for a figure. He has gone from being just "ok," to being downright amazing in my book. This figure has one of the nicest paint-jobs I've seen on any transformer. The purple is rich, richer than the purple Hasbro used. Also the Grey has a gloss to it that's very impressive. The chrome on the exhaust is a very nice, regal touch. When I hold henkei-train, I can almost hear the G1 voice yelling back at me, "Jettison some weight!"

Only gripes I have is that there was some extra white paint splattered on his helmet, but I managed to scrape off most of it. Also I wish the gun had been purple to match his body. The Hasbro gun can be used but like I said the purple color is not the same. After playing with henkei-train, the hasbro toy feels like a cheap unpainted knock-off. It's just that much of an improvement. Also all the joints are tighter and more sturdy on henkei-train.

If you only buy one Henkei, make it Astrotrain!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    i would also recommend his henkai version over hasbro.

also check out mirage if you can get him,he's another improved version.

3. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i like hasbro... :p 

4. Turnip

Turnip Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The classics are A-ok in my book. I certainly dig that Takara did a 'toon accurate version but I like my toy accurate Classics Astrotrain too.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I too prefer Hasbro's. I prefer the pure white to the dark, dull grey. I do like how so much is painted on Japanese Astrotrain.

I do not agree with this. While the chrome on the spoiler is a nice touch and is the only chrome I like from these Takara/Tomy classics, whatever points it gained for that chrome were taken away from the chrome on the front. I hardly call it improved since it's not all that different and really, they took away a lot of the little things I liked.

Still, the mould is great and both figs are recommended from me.

6. Optimus Peev

Optimus Peev Banker Bot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Been picking up the Henkei and love all of them. Like my Hasbro ones just fine, too, but I am digging the chrome additions. Can't wait for the Henkei Rodimus!

7. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    the darker blue color is what does it for me but i do miss the decals of the original:D 

8. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

The grey and purple Space-choo-choo turned up for me yesterday. Yes his Grey is dark (but its glossy) but that purple is delicious.

And the head his way better now that you have a contrast between the Dark Purple and white, instead of White and Silver (which merge)

I like both flavors ^^

9. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    Does the plastic on the thighs still feel like dollar store crap that is ready to pull apart at the seams? :p 

10. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't have the choo-choo yet, and I do have some other Henkeis after Botcon (Mirage, Optimus, and Megatron), but I'm inclined to agree with that statement. Astrotrain's the only 'must have' Henkei repaint for me. All others seen so far I can totally take or leave versus the Hasbro versions (Megatron included.)

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mines coming in the mail man. Thanks for the review:)  I find classics screamer looks like a bootleg too when compared to Henkei.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just got my Henkei. It's the only Henkei that DEMANDED to be made IMO (I guess Megatron is debatable on that, but I could take or leave). It makes you realize what a cool toy Classics Astrotrain truly is/was, by adding reasonably accurate cartoon colors and removing most of the white that made a lot of the detail in the Hasbro version seem to disappear.

13. evil ivotron

evil ivotron destroy'em all

SWEET! What an improvement from the original.

14. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just got my SpaceHenkeiChooChoo yesterday from HLJ. He is a sexy, sexy beast. Well worth the $26 (including shipping).

He's my only Henkei, and will likely remain so. None of the others have grabbed me.

As a bonus, he satisfies my previous longing for e-Hobby G1 Astrotrain! :thumb 

15. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I got to barely fiddle with Jarodimus' SpaceChooChoo. I wish I had fiddled more. :( 

16. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You know you're always invited for more fiddling....

:confused2 

17. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Looks great, will have to get him. I agree that the white tended to wash him out. How loose are his joints? The two U.S. Astrotrains I tried had incredibly loose floppy shoulders.

In my opinion, Prime, Mirage, and Starscream are all must gets. They trounce their U.S. versions. Prime especially. Love the chrome grill and bumper, lack of yellow spatula crotch (less yellow in general actually), and overall faithfulness to the original G1 Prime/Convoy.

18. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:

Quite possibly...

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  19. Skywave

Skywave Transformers Noob

I just opened mine, and it's a really great improvement over the Hasbro one. He was one of my least favorite Classics mold, but the new colors make him much more attractive and detailed, and much less bland.

My Astrotrain is loose only in two place, the fin in shuttle mode can easily fall on the side but otherwise is fine, and the head pannel is loose too. If you want to make him look up, you'll push back the head into his body instead, unless you hold it tight. These two are pretty minor, non-critical joints so it's still great, all other joints are nice and tight.

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    aksmth and jarod need to get a room.

hey, i dont have classic astro with me; is it just mine or the boosters dont fold all the way thru in bot mode? *presses on backpack repeatedly, OCD like*