Minor/Repaint: Hench to Brawn WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by OptimusTimelord, Apr 28, 2013.

1. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Yeah don't worry about the head not turning all the way round, a slight transformation tweak has taken care of that. I think you can save some space by flattening the rear, G1 toy, face (it's at quite an angle there, the original is almost vertical).

In other news; finished thread now up! G1 MP Brawn

2. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

After seeing the finished piece, going back over the WIP thread, this was an impressive build. Great job. I am impressed.

3. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's a concern for the back of the head thing- how will this be printed? One single piece; not two so eyes can be painted easily and cleanly? What about fitting the neck in?

4. OptimusTimelord

Cheers :thumb 
    I guess you could combine the two? Like, two halves (front and back) of the head which combine over the neck joint and once screwed together hold the head to it, with the eyes molded as part of the back section, slotting into the empty sockets of the face.

Oh, while I'm here, a pic of him next to an unmodified iGear base figure. Who's the daddy!!
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. shadeozero

shadeozero Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Dude are you going to make an upgrade set via shapeways for this guy? I'd buy it.

6. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What I meant was, where would the screw go? It'd have to go into the back of the head...

Lookin' sharp, love the size :thumb 

Check the thread bud ;)  We're working on it! :D 

7. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Literally - Screwing with 'your' head... :lol 

8. OptimusTimelord

Oh yeah, the back of the head, damn... :dunce 

To be honest I don't know if we gain a lot by having the eyes separate if all it does it make painting them easier (not as if we're getting light piping from it or anything). Can't people cope with painting a molded face? We're just inventing a new problem for ourselves.

Regarding the turning of the head, as you mentioned in the finished thread, his animation model does cheat, so capturing that look in 3D is no easy task. All I can suggest is to dig out as much of the bumper section as you can, to get that concave dent for the back of the head to recess in. I know there's not much room to work with but every little helps.

Putting the neck as far forward as you can get away with will help too.

If all else fails, maybe iGear's Cogz solution of a rotating face inside the head is worth a shot.

9. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Light piping is an option if you want it to be. I think it's settled- I shall simply prepare two versions of the head for printing- one with the back-of-head stuff (will have a different neck since one won't be able to take the head apart to fit one in) and one with all the stuff I like myself (no MM detail, head split with access to eyes for clean painting (yes it's a pain in the arse ;) ) which can be offered separately.

Well, there's some room in the bumper we can dig out so we'll (MACRAPTRON :p ) make it work. Honestly the half-head thing doesn't look all that bad if your custom is anything to go off (a side-on pic with the head looking straight on would clarify that though).

That last bit- that's essentially what we'll end up doing I think. Digging out the bumper and having at least part of the head sitting inside is essentially the same as having the head fixed inside, just that our way has more articulation.
    Now we're not so worried about digging out the bumper I think we'll be fine. So, dig as much as you need MAC! Also, if you have a version of the squashed head sans-microman detail you can send me alongside the detailed one, that'd be fantastic :) 

10. OptimusTimelord

I don't think there's much point in having two different heads. We need to keep this set under control or it could get out of hand! I'm quite happy to sacrifice the G1 face if we have to, but I don't think access to the eyes trumps it unfortunately (opinions anyone else?). And light piping isn't something I'm interested in, it just seems out of place in a Masterpiece style figure.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves; We haven't even worked out a head that fits and can turn, so once that part is solved, then we can worry about the details :p 

11. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll only offer the second head separately through shapeways (zero profit)- it's mostly for my own personal use as I dislike the extra detail and what will go with it for the main head. I'd rather put in the extra few hours so the main head can be as planned but I can get a version I prefer for myself, the option being there for others if they so choose.

Yeah light piping isn't really something that goes with MPs. Pretty cool that it can be done in 3D printing though!

12. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where are we at the moment then guys? Not heard anything about the head for a little while or anything.

13. OptimusTimelord

I guess Macraptron is still working on it, I'm not rushing him because it can't be an easy task. Now that I've finished the custom I've done about all I can, except for any input you need from me re: CAD modelling, any opinions about tidying up or last minute alterations etc.

I think with the last few days of multiple Huffers, we ought to keep this as simple as poss... i.e. an add-on kit available ASAP. It's a good bet that one of those companies, if not TT themselves, is going to come out with a MP G1 Brawn sooner or later, so this little project is a gap-filler. I still think we have a great little kit, but we should be prepared for anything at this point.

14. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I don't expect it to be long til a Brawn hits, so yep quicker sooner than later. How does Brawn stack up height wise? I know Cubex's Huffer (the one I love) is 15cm toe to cab, will they go together at all?

With the way work and sorting uni is at the moment won't be getting back to the CAD til probably Sunday (hope it's cooler then, phew) but I think it's about ready. Will check the ball joints and stuff like that, make sure s'all good.

15. OptimusTimelord

I hope he will go well with Cubex, that's the horse I'm backing too :)  My finished custom is about 13.5 tall at the top edge. So if Cubex has a cm or 2 of cab above his head they should be about face to face :) 

16. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sounds good! I can deal with these two being the same size happily. Now we just need to know about MP Bee! :D 

17. OptimusTimelord

Indeed. I'm pretty sure he won't be as tall as either of them, and for me as long as BB is smaller I don't mind precisely how much smaller :) 

18. Trittbrettfahre

Trittbrettfahre Micronaut

Hi guys,

I keep updating this page on a daily basis, craving for updates (and hoping to update my own Hench figure soon, via shapeways)... so, please, forgive my impatience: Did the test shot work?

19. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm just waiting to hear back about the head before I put it all to the test. But, I may get on and test other parts while we wait.

20. OptimusTimelord

Yeah I think the head has been the tricky issue. Might be wise to test the other parts in the meantime in case any tweaking is necessary. Anyone see iGear's new 'comic colours' Hench solicitation? Ironically I thought Hench was one of the few Mini Warriors whose colour wasn't a disaster!

Bit annoying that they 'fixed' the thigh/shoulder colour though, and gave him the silver knees, as these should always have been like that IMO.