Minor/Repaint: Hench to Brawn WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by OptimusTimelord, Apr 28, 2013.

1. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

Superfast progress! :thumb 

The arms do look a lot better on your version, I think they will come out fine as long as they fit in alt mode. Head could perhaps be a touch smaller I think.

I don't have room to rotate the head very far on my model, but have been discussing a slight alteration with MB which will hopefully improve the transformation and allow head rotation as a side effect (so a G1 toy face on the rear of the head would then be possible).

2. Mr.Deflok

Mr.Deflok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Knocked it out of the park.

3. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  I keep forgetting to put the fingers on the hands. You'll be interested to know that the hands will remain compatible with MP weaponry- so any carbot goods can be used with Brawn here.

I shall be shrinking the head slightly to match MP12's face size better shortly.

As I look at picture number three from my last attachment, I think the following:

The head there looks like it's fairly thin; that the curve on the side of the head almost immediately sweeps back round to form the back of the head. As if the rear of the helmet is squashed up. It doesn't look terrible. Maybe squashing the rear of the helmet so it just cuts into the backplate behind the head would be the way to go? I'll cut the groove for it to be able to move etc, the head'll still have some depth.

4. OptimusTimelord

Just a comparison shot to demonstrate relative sizes. The first image is as he is now in hand. You can see how massive the face looks next to the others. In this case being toon accurate is working against the figure. The second is Photoshopped with smaller head and smaller forearms/hands, and I think the improvement is quite apparent. Also, it's probably a pretty good approximation of what the final piece will look like...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:

Smaller head looks a whole lot better. :thumbs2: 

6. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was gonna PM you guys this (now the internet here is finally working again), but this is quicker. The two sizes I'm messing around with in Sketchup. They're both smaller than the second pic OpT posted I think (just abouts), more about which size everyone prefers now.

Attached Files:

• comp.png
      comp.png
      File size:
      221.9 KB
      Views:
  7. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Looking GREAT!

8. pumpkingonzo

pumpkingonzo Stunticon lover!

Ebay:
    Stunning work!!
    A really good anyway, made even better!
    The whole thread has been wonderful to follow :) 

9. OptimusTimelord

The smallest one looks best to me. The one on the left is definitely still too big.
    I suspect we'll still need to do something to lessen the depth of the head. As long as we can keep it rounded (rather than chopping it directly off - mine has a flat cut off and it does look slightly odd from some angles). I suggested adding a bit of surface detail on the back of the head to represent the G1 toy face, nothing too flashy, just may as well use that blank area of helmet to give that extra option.
    Aw, cheers dude :thumb 

10. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What I was waiting to hear ;)  Shall I try for one any smaller d'you think, or shall I email the .obj back to Mac now?

@Mac- I'm afraid there's still some cut-through into the bumper plate. We'll be able to scoop some out to at least allow the back of the (chopped off) head to not be flat, but I'm afraid it will still need chopping.

Honestly I think the best way to do a toy accurate head is as a separate piece; just slap the face guard over the regular head and offer it exclusively through Shapeways or something for those that really want it. It won't look too great on the chopped head.

Adding extra detail that resembles the toy face to the back might help disguise the sudden curve change, but I wouldn't hope for anything spectacular looking with the space available.

I am very much liking the current small head, as an aside. Looks a good fit, and at about 1.1mm it's much closer to MP12's head size- I'll note that MP12's head is quite small for a deluxe carbot, Prowl et al's look a little bigger. As is I think it's about the same size/a tad smaller than your rescale mock-up OpT. I think it's a little thinner anyway. Should look good as is, can always resize again if need be after test print?

11. OptimusTimelord

Yeah looking good. I guess where you put the neck joint will affect how much he can turn his head to the sides, so keep an eye on that.

I'm not fussed about a separate piece for G1 faceplate, I don't think it's worth that extra hassle. But just a few panel lines etched into the back side of the helmet would be enough to give that option without affecting the figure at all, so may as well ;) 

It's a very simple (and flat) design:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :lol  I forgot just how barely a head the toy designs were. I don't see how that detail couldn't be etched in, Mac be willing. Jazz up the back of the head a bit.

13. OptimusTimelord

Ok, so I promised one last update...

Several ideas came together here. Firstly, I never cared for Hench's alt mode back end; Brawn always had that one offset gas tank, and Hench's entire rear was made to resemble two giant unconvincing flat tanks instead. Secondly, I wanted a bumper, to give bot mode a bit more support. And thirdly... Well, that was the missing piece of the puzzle - what to do with a new off-centre gas tank?

[​IMG]

The answer is, attach it via a double ball-joint so that it can fold away against his side in bot mode (where it will be mostly covered by the vehicle door piece anyway).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But, as I'm sure some of you have already guessed, it doesn't end there. Pop it off its ball joint and hey presto:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I REALLY like that alteration to the rear of the vehicle. I think you should just add either some paint to hide those four screws, or add some kind of detailing to cover them up. Man, that's really nitpicky though. That's a really great addition to an already awesome project.

15. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right! Sorry I've been awol, been working out a contract with my new landlord for the next year. I shall pipe the goods over toot sweet.

Love the gas can OpT, harkens back to Alternators and is just plain cool. I can take or leave the feet modifcation but I'm not so picky there.

If people want the gas can weapon, I'll probably need to redraw the bumper section it's attached to. So let me know if you want it guys.

16. BidoofdudeofOz

BidoofdudeofOz The Stench of Discovery

Loving it so far. And I thought Hench looked accurate! :D 

17. Sweeny

Sweeny Electric Monk

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definitely the smaller head. You forget just how big it is in the cartoon compared to the other characters! Awesome work though. :thumb 

Impressive, most impressive. sorry for the SW quote, but felt appropriate :) 

Plus 1 on the gas can gun - that is a fantastic idea. Loving the work you have done to the alt-mode. It was the only bit that bugged me in alt-mode and you have solved it.

18. OptimusTimelord

Cheers, er the 'screws' are actually detailing - meant to look like rear lights on that era of Land Rover... :eek: 
    It would be tricky to integrate an add on, since I had to drill a hole into Hench's rear hinge for the ball joint... plus you'd probably have to cover up the gas can crosses on his stock feet. But if there's a way I'm sure you'll find it! :thumb 

Definitely an Alternators vibe... Well, that is Alt Silverstreak's rifle I modded after all ;) 
    Cheers :) 
    Thanks bud :) 

19. thrustjet24

thrustjet24 Wannabe Decepticon

Plus 2 on the gas can gun. I cannot wait to own this kit.

20. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I can alleviate one issue- the head will be fixed to the chest now via a hinged plate (so head can be spun around via flipping the plate forward). It's a newer model of the torso after OpT and I had a little chat about the head's fit during transformation (it's smoother this way).

So that's one problem. What bothers me is how we'll get any poseability out of the head and current bumper- being able to look side to side and up/down is kind've a big deal. I don't know what we can do about the hood mechanism- it can't fit any more inside the hood without seriously altering the alt mode's cosmetics. Ideally we'd just have the hood slide back, but that'd mean we've created a whole new toy and would need to print the alt mode shell as well as everything else.

Might be best to just whittle out more of the bumper section width-wise til it fits snug- keep going til you can turn the head side to side a bit. Spinning the head 180 isn't a problem with the newer transformation setup.

And, to top it all off, I don't like how the microman gimmick affects the head :p  Definitely think I'll offer the choice between the two heads for those not interested in the extra detail.