Customs: Help with with work on my Masterpiece Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by sarujo, Apr 8, 2011.

1. sarujo

sarujo Cavalier

I'm wanting to rework my Masterpiece Optimus Prime (the one with the battle damage burns) to look as he did in the original television series, primarily the original 1986 film and those Toei episodes.

[​IMG]

Like this. Although there guides here custom and disassembly, I feel they are not specific in the work I'm trying to accomplish.

Like how to remove that pin holding his abdominal grill together? I tried using a hammer and screwdriver, but it felt like I was close to breaking the whole thing off.

How to remove paint on parts that has paint on places that you want and don't want. The upper left arm has the Autobot insignia that I want to keep, but the burn marks I don't.

The flaps on the small of his back which features the head lights, there is paint apps on both sides on the same spot. I want to remove the silver stripe but want to keep the app on the other side.

What would be the best COA regarding the grey shins? I was hopping that some unlicensed third party company would release some matching blue replacement parts. I would try painting them, but I would be concerned with the potentials of whether or not the paint would bond, or make those vent flaps stiff. Or if I did it, somebody would come up with the matching blue colored versions of those parts. Then I'd feel like a heel for wasting my time coloring the shins.

2. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Well since you said you looked in the tutorials, I won't link them here. But i've removed a similar pin like the grills. I used the soldering iron technique, but you have to have a steady hand.

For the weathered parts, I've had some pretty good success with 90% alcohol. You just have to rub hard and it takes some time. But I removed all the weathering and silver paint on Hasbro's MP SS this way. Again, this takes some time just so you know. But it's a whole lot safer on the plastic than using a chemical thinner/ paint remover.

As for the vent painting, I would find it hard to believe that a third party would make a replacement set of vents. You'd have to crack open the legs to do this, and that's a turn off for most people. opening the shoulders for longer smokestacks is a little different. Also, I think most people are okay with the gray, as it breaks up all the blue on the legs. So If you really want it, paint it.

Randy!

3. sarujo

sarujo Cavalier

So alcohol won't hurt the factory chrome? What about green alcohol? The kind with wintergreen glycerin. I was concerned with possibility of the plastic being dyed green to a certain extent.

What would be the best paint for the shins to match? I was thinking maybe Testors blue.

I've already replaced the smokestacks with some I bought off eBay, and I bought the iGear anime head. I also managed to safely crack open the rifle for stripping and repainting.

4. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    I removed the paint on the grill and the paint on the right side of his torso with just plain rubbing alcohol without any problems, The black is sprayed on so thin it comes right off.

5. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Buy it, then paint a piece of plastic (preferbly the same color as what you are painting onto, so maybe use a dark grey primer) and then after it dries hold it next to the legs under different types lighting.
    it's the safest way to check your color. better to buy anouther $3 bottle of paint than try and strip the stuff off the vents becasue it doesn't look right.

green alcohol? are you talking about "Simple Green"?

Randy!

6. sarujo

sarujo Cavalier

[​IMG]

This is what I'm talking about. You can get green alcohol at any store that sells pharmaceuticals. It has a pleasant scent of wintergreen. This particular bottle came from Walmart.

Now I keep it in a spray bottle as a fungal deterrent for when I take a shower. I tend to keep the bottle hanging off the side of this box where I keep most of my essentials. Right below the spray is my bottle of vitamins that has a white plastic cap. Now for some reason the spray nozzle will drip alcohol on to the cap sometimes. I first noticed this some had dried onto the cap leaving this green stain. I don't remember how much effort I put into it, but I managed to wipe it off. Now you might say that if I was able to wipe the green coloring off, that there would be no problem. However, keep in mind that there was only a small amount that got on and dried. So I can't be sure about prolonged exposure in a large concentrated amount.

Attached Files:

7. millerman3732

millerman3732 I remain unconvinced.

News Credits:
    I would just buy some plain rubbing alcohol it's only like 79 cents just to be safe.

8. sarujo

sarujo Cavalier

I went to Hobby Lobby and Walmart today. At Hobby Lobby I got some red, silver, and dark blue Testors enamels. The dark blue is in a spray. I also got some Rust-oleum specialty plastic primer. Maybe that can help, although it reads as a "superior top coat adhesion and durability". I don't know, is that right for the job?

I also got some Model Master clear red acrylic in the hopes to try and touch up the chest of my Fire Convoy.

I've been doing some color checking online and I'm starting to think that the blue coloring is a type of navy blue or cobalt.