Customs: Help with Paint usage.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by kennum1, Aug 16, 2012.

1. kennum1

kennum1 Well-Known Member

I have a large Transformers figure I wish to repaint. But I am not sure if Testors Acyclic paint can be use on top of Krylon enamels can-spray. I am thinking to use Krylon enamels can-sprays for base coast. Then use Testor Acyclic for washes and highlighting all the details. Will that damage the figure or mess up the paint?

My second question is can I use Future Finish to seal in the paint for a longer lasting?

Thank you

2. metalalchemist

metalalchemist Well-Known Member

Well I don't use Krylon enamels but I have used testors acrylics over really similar enamels and never had an issue as testors is water based and non abrasive.
    As for future... well I think you can but you could better get a nice and good clear coat from an automotive brand. (If you live in the States, I'm pretty sure you can even get spray cans, so you don't have to mix it) You need very thin layers first, basically mist the surface.
    Take a look at the end of this:
    TTT's Spray Paint Basics Tutorial

3. kennum1

Hi Metalalchemist, thanks for the link. What is a automotive brand for Future? I brought the Pledge future floor care. It have a yellowish to it. Will that be ok?

thank you

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'd recommend Krylon Fusion for Plastics for your sprays; it's acrylic. If you want, you can use other acrylics as a top coat to your base spray coats.

Future has a yellowish finish if it's glopped on. Applied in thin coats, it's mainly transparent. One thing I do is mix it in with my paint that I end up using for a top coat. This avoids that whole finish issue altogether.

As far as using enamels on top of acrylics, you can do that if the acrylic paint has fully dried and cured. If you mix it while its done both/neither of hose, you're literally mixing oil and water. Basic chemistry will tell you of the results there :) 

5. kennum1

Hey Superquad7, thank you for the help. I will give it a try once wrap up with the customizing.

Thank you

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    You bet! Glad to help :) 

7. kennum1

Question.

If i want to do a Wash with "testor enamel paint". Can I use future to thin down it down?

Thanks

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    No.

Future is acrylic, which is water based. Enamel is oil based. Oil + water = what? :) 

9. kennum1

i kinda figure oil and water won't mix well :D . But will something like "Klean Strip Paint Thinner" work? Or do i need something better quality?

10. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I'm not familiar with that brand, but it wouldn't hurt to try it out I guess. Mainly, thinner needs acetone in it to work with enamels.

11. kennum1

Cool. I will give it a try. Thanks again.