Help with my new HDTV and comcast HD.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Megatronwp38, May 13, 2008.

1. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Hey guys and gals!

So I bought a new TV over the weekend with my stimulus payment. I Picked up and HD receiver from Comcast yesterday and hooked it up. I must say Im not too happy with it. There are white flickering lines at the top of the screen on some of the channels. Not all of them.
    Mind you the PS3 and the regular cable that I just had screwed in to the back before I got the box yesterday have no lines. What could cause this? I tried redoing all the connectors and making sure the cable is tightly screwed into the back of the box. It's going through the component on the TV.

Any Help would be great. I am at work so I can't call comcast yet. Just wondering if anyone has any insight.

Thanks,
    Fred

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

There is an EDIT POST button... please use it in future rather than creating a second thread.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol @ Do a Barrel Roll

4. Megatronwp38

I know how to do that thank you. it was an accident. I didn't realize it created the post I got knocked off my computer system at work

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I know, that has happened to me on replies. I get an error, so I go back and resend, and before I know it, I have 17 posts, so I have to edit them all and pretend it was on purpose :D 

6. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    I'm assuming it's a thin white line at the very top of the screen right?

This is content based. If the program you're watching on the HD channel isn't in HD ... say, a re-run of Family Guy on WGN HD ... this might happen.

Since it's on some, but not all channels, this is just a part of the non-digital programming growing pains.

Just out of curiosity, for the cable line input (the line from the wall to the box), how long is it? Signal degradation does happen with coaxial wires. You might want to ask Comcast for a complimentary signal booster.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Scandalous!

8. Megatronwp38

right it came back to the sceen and it was still blank so I just picked up where i left off

9. Megatronwp38

You are correct, that's exactly what it is on non HD channels. like lifetime and cartoon network, which I do not think is HD on comcast. The calbe is very long. id say about 15 feet, and its also split off the main tv's cable in the living room to my bed room. That could be something too right?

10. e3nine

News Credits:
    For every split among the mainline, you start to lose signal.

At my home:
    3 way splitter
    + to internet router
    + to TV #1 (3 feet)
    + to TV #2 (50 feet)

TV #2 had severe problems before the signal booster. HD channels wouldn't come in and the ones that did were covered in snow.

The booster should be free from Comcast. If they allowed you to self-install your own cable box, you should be able to pick one of these up too. In my area, Comcast forces the customer use Comcast "technicians" for everything. A contractor wearing a Comcast hat (driving a plumbers truck) installed it for me.

It's no-brainer stuff. Attach the cable line into it. Attach a cable line out of it. Connect the amped line to the cable box. The end.

(Never amp the signal before the split ... I don't know why, but I was told not to boost the signal going to the internet router)

11. Megatronwp38

Awesome, thank you for the Info. When I get home I will question comcast about getting that. Im sure they will let me pick it up.
    Is it normal for the picture not to fit the whole screen too?

12. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

To get rid of the problem. See if you can adjust the scan on the screen. You want to switch it from underscan to over scan. That should be an easy adjustment on any HD TV.

Otherwise take alook at your aspect settings. Since what you are see is the top of the picture being sent via the cable. Where a normal TV does not show it due to over scanning. Your HD does, a simple adjustment and it should be fixed.

13. e3nine

News Credits:
    Couple of things here ...

With your Comcast cable box powered off (you'll see a picture on the screen, but no sound) hit the "options or menu" button located on the unit itself. This will take you into the cable box's bios menu. At this point, you can set the output resolution ... either 720p or 1080i.

Comcast's standard broadcasting definition is 720p, so you can go with that. (Which is better is like the Coke vs Pepsi argument ...)

On your TV, you now need to set the "viewing aspect". Quick question, is your TV a 1080p or 720p enabled unit?

14. Megatronwp38

it's a 1080p

15. e3nine

News Credits:
    Oh ... okay.

Then go into the Comcast box's bios menu, set the output to 1080i. From there, set your TV's "aspect / aspect ratio" to "1:1". This should fill now.

16. Megatronwp38

is that bad? lol

17. e3nine

News Credits:
    naw, not at all.

The best thing you can do is naturally fill the screen.

The 1080 cable output will match the 1080 TV. This is much better than having the cable output at 720 and having the 1080 TV stretch to fill the screen.

An example of this is desktop wall papers. If your resolution on your computer is at 1024 by 768 and you stretch a wallpaper that's meant for 800 by 600 on it, it doesn't look so hot.

The drastic quality drop would be as noticeable, but it's always good practice to match resolutions.

Now, take a 1080P enabled PS3 w. Bluray to the TV and you will poop bricks.

18. Megatronwp38

O you are right, I was watching Dead Mans Chest last night and it's pretty freaking awesome! I need more blu-rays! I will try all this when I get home tongiht!

THanks Again!