Customs: Help with metallic paint please

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Hippie Trooper, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    I'm trying to find out how feasable it would be to learn/do metallic paints. I recently picked up a bootleg TF just for fun, and painted him up as close as possible to the original. He actually looks pretty good except for the parts that have a metallic finish. I understand this is some sort of vacuum process?The areas are alot lighter shade of the colors they should be. He looks OK I guess, but if it is possible to learn/do I'd like to give it a try.

Does anyone here know what Im talking about and how it's done?

Thanks in advance.
    Later

2. MATTICUS PRIME

MATTICUS PRIME chicks love me!

I would assume you are talking about the chrome? If that is the case ALSA Corp has a paint called Mirra chrome. You base the area in black and dust the "chrome" on. It is a chrome effect not real chrome. I have no idea on how to vacuum metalize. A substantially cheaper route would be Alclad.

3. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    Kinda, except I'm not looking to do straight chrome, but an actual color with a metal/reflective finish. It's a Transmetals Optimal Optimus, the parts that are blue and purple on the original are a very light shade of blue and purple on the BL/KO, I'd like to try and re-do those areas with the correct, dark shade while keeping the metallic effect.
    Thanks again.
    Later

4. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

ditto on the alsa chrome paint....cept its kinda pricey
    just add the color paint of ur choice to the clear coat....

5. cefuroxx

cefuroxx Well-Known Member

alclad chrome with a translucent paint thrown over it should work

6. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    Cool, I'll look into those. Thanks!
    Later

7. MATTICUS PRIME

Now I see what you are up to! What you could do is take a simple testors flat black, then testors chrome or chrome trim( I forget which its called) dust the black with that, then use a translucent or "candy" coat and then clear!

8. Hippie Trooper

Hippie Trooper Costumer

Ebay:
    This sounds like the best route, and the one I've understood the most. The only thing I'm still unclear on is "dusting". What exactly does that mean in terms of technique? Am I supposed to be using a dry paint or dust? I have testors chrome and aluminum paints, but they are liquids, how exactly would I go about dusting that over a black base?
    Thanks again, this is VERY helpful!
    Later

9. robvega214

robvega214 Mp5_Brut

1st.....u prep ur piece...clean it....with warm soapy water.....u can use a grease n wax remover.......
    2nd.....primer the piece.....
    3rd...spray a black glossy base.....
    4th.....spray the chrome paint.........
    5th..... use a transparent/translucent color of ur choice......or u can add color to ur Clearcoat (just a few drops, dependin on what shade u want)...then SPRAY it on to the black....
    6th....spray clearcoat.....if u went with just usin a transparent color............

that should be about it..........

10. MATTICUS PRIME

Dust as in dont spray the stuff on as if you were trying to cover up all of the black. You arent painting it silver. Think of it as a light dusting of snow, where you can still see the grass blades. Hope that analogy helps.